Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco
Default The Underwater Antics (SCUBA) Thread

Post all your Underwater antics, experiences, dive spots, buddy searches, gear set ups etc here.

Let's get a little sub community going.

[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

I'll kick this thread off!

I've just completed my Open Water Dive ticket with Diving Frontiers in Balcatta. My instructor was Chris Lim (a top bloke & highly recommended).

My first open water Dives as below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
We ended up doing 2 dives today at the Ammo Jetty Alex......... Viz was shit 2.5m -> Silt out and it was pretty surgey.

Water temp 19 degrees (I was in a 3mm)

Dive 1
OWD Drills: diver tows, R & R gear, R & R weights, surface nav, mask floods, R & R mask, 5/3 stop etc
Max depth 8.8m
Time at depth 27mins
Air in: 210bar
Air out 130bar

Dive 2
OWD Drills: underwater nav exercise, alternate air buddy ascent, CESA, bouyancy & hovering, 5/3 stop.
Max depth 7.5m
Time at depth 50mins
Air in: 230bar
Air out: 140bar

My buddy (for the day) hadn't prep'd his new mask, he suffered hardcore fogging all day and was a bit of a wanderer....Just what you want - a blind dude in low viz who just wanders around all over the show.... At least he stuck with me when we were completely silted out by another dive group.

We ran out of time for our 3rd dive today, so now I have my final 2 open water dives tomorrow at the coombes (was supposed to be Rotto but the forecast is for 30knts by lunchtime FML!).

I'll do Rotto in the next few weeks depending on what the weather does - at least now I'll be OWD certified & able to take my camera to shoot some stills & video. Plus the Rotto dives are free dives now.

Cannot wait to get wet tomorrow rain, hail or shine!
drewgong likes this.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Really pleasing to see Ross. Anyone else, and there are a few divers here probably will agree when I say it's such a rewarding pastime to enjoy. I have to imagine DF have a dive club, so get involved and you'll meet some great people that like getting wet too. Not sure if they still do it, but DF used to run charters to the Key Biscane, which is a brilliant dive site. If I find it, I'll post up a few dives from earlier this year with the sharks in NSW.
Rossco (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:55 PM

Yesterday I completed my final 2 dives for my PADI OWD ticket.

We dove The Coombes (in the River), due to the crap weather Rotto was out.

Dive 1
Viz: < 3m
Temp: 19c
Max depth 13.5m
Time at depth 50mins
Air in: 250bar
Air out: 140bar

Highlights: Sea Horses on the wreck lead lines! Huge Anemones & tube worms.....Lots of Blue Swimmers

Dive 2
Viz: < 3m
Temp: 18c
Max depth 15.7m
Time at depth 26mins
Air in: 240bar
Air out 110bar

Highlights: Took my Intova camera for a swim with a red filter, fun dive but limited viz.

Here's a clip of the second dive shot at 6m - nice visibility huh?
(It was a lot better below 8m)

Old 06-10-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralex View Post
Really pleasing to see Ross. Anyone else, and there are a few divers here probably will agree when I say it's such a rewarding pastime to enjoy. I have to imagine DF have a dive club, so get involved and you'll meet some great people that like getting wet too. Not sure if they still do it, but DF used to run charters to the Key Biscane, which is a brilliant dive site. If I find it, I'll post up a few dives from earlier this year with the sharks in NSW.
Yeah they still have the "NARC" Dive club - the website has gone & their facebook page seems a bit disorganised......

I'm going to do my Advanced with Dive Concepts in Tulamben, Bali in Feb 15, I did my DSD dives with them. They're a French run PADI centre. Advanced course is $260 inc gear.

Locally I'm planning to do some prawning & Craying and a few Rotto dives.

The Key Biscane is out of my reach at the moment (18m limit) but I want to do it once I have my Advanced OW done.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Mcclacker at standard level

BSAC advanced diver, got my ticket in 1991 and always up for a bubble. Prefer grotting, pottering around as opposed to diving for food but on rare occasions I make take a few scallops or one crayfish.
Due to work commitments though the next planned dive is the either the 17th 18th 19th October.
Rossco likes this.
Old 19-10-2014, 08:54 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Took a novice out yesterday at Robb's jetty and was good 68 minute bubble until I got out and some woman asked if I own a Silver Hilux SR5
as some shit head has put the window in. Hid the mobile phone wallet in the back of the car but they still found it. Can only assume they are serial thieves that watch from the bushes and when a person ambles off to the beach they strike.

Am tempted today to go down in a different car and wait for the turds to strike somebody else's car with my friend Mr Bat
Old 19-10-2014, 09:51 AM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Used to see it a bit on early morning dives out of Woodman Point and even the grain terminal on the odd occasion. The problem is that all of the dive sites are known, and any half clever would be thief has a rough idea how long they've got. Same goes for dive related bumper stickers. Unfortunately they let the scum know you won't be back at your car any time soon.
Old 19-10-2014, 12:05 PM

Well that just sucks, sorry to hear dude - there's some fucktards out there.

I avoid early mornings for this reason.

Last edited by Rossco; 19-10-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 19-10-2014, 02:33 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Well that just sucks, sorry to hear dude - there's some fucktards out there.

I avoid early mornings for this reason.
dropped in at 9am so wasn't exactly early, anyway cops told me they had a few reports yesterday morning in this area. They also tried to use one of my cards using pay pass but it was rejected as it was about the same time I was calling the banks to cancel them. Anyway no point crying all bank cards cancelled phone sim locked till I get a new one tomorow and window will be also replaced tomorrow. Also might be a blessing in disguise as was gonna go to dolphin scuba in welshpool straight after to see what they had so might have saved me some money LOL

Tags
antics, scuba, thread, underwater