Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Offroad and 4WD
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Ok thanks for the info on the cages material. I will be getting most of the welding done by the welders at work so will deffiantly come in under the 5k mark. As for safety i completely agree, having raced a high level of downhill for awhile now i understand the importance of safety equipment when shit get wild.

Can anyone shed any light on the cage situation? Would a
6 point suffice or do i need the 8 point?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

If you are going to get it welded in at work just check on whether it needs to be done by a coded welder. I am not 100% sure but i think t-45 does, or you have to send a sample of your welding. As i say, not 100% sure but worth looking into.

I would try and get a cage that goes through the to front towers. Definitely makes the car stronger but is a bit of mucking around.

Just remember things like seats, harnesses roll cages etc all but cost the same whether you are putting them into an excel or a ferrari.

Brendon
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 AM
STI Master

Spektre knows their stuff

Under 5k with all that fucking around?

Take it to brad Stacey, pay him 5k and have you cage done to cams spec in under a week with no fucking around ordering shit etc...

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
#217 Street Cars WA
Full 04 STi drivetrain
08 JDM 207
Garrett 3076 xtr
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

Why when i can do it for half that myself? A bit of hard work never hurt anyone. However who is Brad Stacey and how do i get in contact wit him?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:08 AM
STI Master

Spektre knows their stuff

Brad Stacey is probably one of the best cage builders going around. He works for LF Performance .

But you can also contact him via http://www.bradstacyfabrication.com.au/

I'm all about doing things myself, check my build thread of the black bus. Certain things though are just more efficient to be done by professionals.

#217 Street Cars WA
Full 04 STi drivetrain
08 JDM 207
Garrett 3076 xtr
The Following User Says Thank You to Spektre For This Useful Post:
Tony (09-11-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Sir AntiLag

PROTOTYPE at standard level
Send a message via MSN to PROTOTYPE

I'll second that regarding Brad Stacey, even after much looking around at other installers and bringing in a Customs Cage myself, it was not worth the mess around.

Brad is top quality, knows all the regs, and is efficient.

Also, ask him his opinion on Customs Cages and how much stuffing around and re-adjustment there is to make them fit properly.... You end up spending more in time and labour than starting from scratch and doing it right.

Powered by COSWORTH...
Sponsored by PROTOTYPE CONSULTING, ALLSTAR, NO LIMIT EVENTS
Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rally_Action at standard level

The best bet is to get someone who builds cages to put one in a car. There are two people I particularly recommend, Brad Stacy (Brad Stacy Fabrication) and Lea Welch (Revenge Motorsport Engineering). Costs should come in well under $5K (closer to half), the correct steel sizes (diameter and wall thickness) and constructions must be used. The cage design must also be correct to be allowed by CAMS. We recently got caught out with a bolt in cage in a WRX that was sold as CAMS compliant and when we went to log book the car for rally, the main cage pattern and sizes were correct however it didn't have a double diagonal cross in the main hoop and the wrong type of bolt in brackets. Had to cut out and weld in some new bars to be compliant. The last thing you need is to spend time and money putting a cage in a car and then find it needs to be modified to actually go rallying.

Also as Wavey and others have said, the cage is best built as tower to tower to strenghten the shell and prolong the life of the car.
[COLOR=navy]Rally Action Driver Training[/COLOR]

Last edited by Rally_Action; 10-11-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 AM
STI Master

fatboy at standard level

Buy this and win!

Detomaso Charade rally car | Cars, Vans & Utes | Gumtree Australia Mundaring Area - Mundaring | 1015328069

Look up WA Trackdays on Facebook
Old 10-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

I actually went to primary school with the guy selling that car. I have been watching it for awhile. My only issue is i cant afford 14k upfront just yet otherwise i would have already got it checked out and bought.

Went and looked at Master D's mk1 gti yesterday. For what they are they go pretty hard and are alot smaller than what i was expecting. Which makes me question buying a prefab cage as it wont leave much room once in, so im going to need something that is perfectly fitted into the car to provide as much space as possible. Next thing is to go test drive a mk3 gti that is for sale. Difference between them is how the engine and gearbox is mounted making it stronger, rear suspension design and the mk3 has power steering unlike the mk1.

I found a pretty cool little forum called redlinegti.com which has alot of info regarding the cars.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:51 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rally_Action at standard level

That Detomaso is overpriced, that's why it has been on the market for a very long time and hasn't sold.
About 2 years ago a Detomaso was sold, ready to rally with low stage miles, $6.5K worth of new Proflex in it and a heap of other good bits for $5K.

Before looking at buying any used race or rally car, homework needs to be done otherwise you could end up buying someone else's very expensive problems. This podcast covers buying used rally cars: Buying a Rally Car - free MP3 Podcast
[COLOR=navy]Rally Action Driver Training[/COLOR]

Tags
building, car, keep mtb & learn to spell instead, rally, suck me grammar nazi.