Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Stock ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

I think its pretty silly to place a drivers success in motorsport down to just an ecu anyhow.....

Anyhoo, Im not aligned with anyone really, I come from the school of I dont give a shit and ill say what I think when I think. Here goes :

I believe Verso is a really good product, which shits on ecutek in terms of value for money. Its still new and developing, and will most likely become even better in the future. As for workshops, I've known Sean Keating way before speedworks and ASG, and I know he know his shit in relation to Subi's. Ive never walked into RMS/MMS so dont know or care about that they can and cant do.

You never know, in 3 months time there may be a verso like product at another tuner for 200 bucks less, im sure people would talk about it!

However, there is a massive bandwagon element in here atm. Not that im bagging that out. Verso is run by people on there forums who are respected and liked, and they are friends with people on here who are respected and liked. They post alot on here, and its easy to see how it happens. Like i said not a bad thing and most likely not intentional. As per my suggestion in the ideas forum, perhaps we need to push it into a dedicated corner to keep the forums a little cleaner.

tj

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by teejay; 21-03-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 21-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_MY04
Haven't we been over this 10 times already?
oh noes! now youve reset my ECU.

in all seriousness, it looks to me like the market is changing, if more people would offer their experiences with MMS/RT with ecutek tuning, then i'm sure ecutek could become flavour of the month again.

till then, i'll stick with my motec pryde

Long live the WRC
Old 21-03-2007, 09:45 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
I think its pretty silly to place a drivers success in motorsport down to just an ecu anyhow.....

Anyhoo, Im not aligned with anyone really, I come from the school of I dont give a shit and ill say what I think when I think. Here goes :

I believe Verso is a really good product, which shits on ecutek in terms of value for money. Its still new and developing, and will most likely become even better in the future. As for workshops, I've known Sean Keating way before speedworks and ASG, and I know he know his shit in relation to Subi's. Ive never walked into RMS/MMS so dont know or care about that they can and cant do.

You never know, in 3 months time there may be a verso like product at another tuner for 200 bucks less, im sure people would talk about it!

However, there is a massive bandwagon element in here atm. Not that im bagging that out. Verso is run by people on there forums who are respected and liked, and they are friends with people on here who are respected and liked. They post alot on here, and its easy to see how it happens. Like i said not a bad thing and most likely not intentional. As per my suggestion in the ideas forum, perhaps we need to push it into a dedicated corner to keep the forums a little cleaner.

tj
Very fair comments....

I think Verso is fine and offers another very good alternative. A dedicated info thread is a good idea.

The whole point of this thread was to highlight the issue of vested interests and really has nothing to do with being "liked" or not...I personally think that Sean and Nick are good blokes and are very competent.

The reference to motorsport is merely an example to point out that re-flash tunes (whether they be Verso or ECUTek) are reliable when the car is used in anger and are also competitive...but of course success is mainly down to driving ability, but engine tune and suspension setup certainly help.

At least I have provoked some lively discussion.
Old 21-03-2007, 10:00 AM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Thats true

And yeah I can have genuinely intellegent posts, im not always a rude moron !

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 21-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Give up Steve - I think I raised this issue months ago.

The clear fact remains that this place is infected with conflicting interests and views.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 21-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli
I have noted with a degree of amusement comments about ECU re-flashes on this forum...particularly with respect to Verso and the observation by some how this site is becoming Verso-centric.

I remember some years ago when ECUTek was released, every time it was mentioned on this forum it was bagged by a majority of people, including some who now talk up Verso....interesting. What does it all mean...vested interests?...fashion?...mates club? Whilst there is no question that Verso is cheaper than ECUTek, most previous criticism of re-flashes was that they didn't offer the tuning ability of some replacement ECU's and that you are only paying for software not something physical. I think that history has now shown that re-flashed cars (and I'm talking ECUTek since it is the one with history) have been reliable and have performed well in motorsport (Jamie Lister, Danny Cerro).

It also amuses me that (particularly in the past) whenever I dared mention Maximum Motorsport, certain people on this forum were very quick to accuse me on unashamed marketing...funny how nobody does the same with people mentioning All Star Garage over and over again....vested interests?...fashion?...mates club?

It is important in a forum like this that sensible advice can be given, free speech not be gagged and that vested interests are carefully monitored by moderators.

Just food for thought...
Everything you say there is pretty much correct Steve...

However, I just put up with it, it's the internet and people will say what they want, fuck it, I'm going to have a go...

I go to Racetorque, often you can't get you car done when you want (busy for months) can't speak to the tuner/head mechanics (overseas, busy) and end up getting told wrong information on the status of your car from time to time, they are not cheap...

but, I push my car and it runs well. When you do get the oppourtunity to speak with the tuners/head mechanics you quickly realise they know what they are talking about, are honest with regards to what you need and don't....and really, their core business is not modding street cars.

Old 21-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
I say fuck it, lets all get motecs, hold hands and sing kumbaya.
Yeah!!!
Old 21-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Very fair comments....

I think Verso is fine and offers another very good alternative. A dedicated info thread is a good idea.

The whole point of this thread was to highlight the issue of vested interests and really has nothing to do with being "liked" or not...I personally think that Sean and Nick are good blokes and are very competent.

The reference to motorsport is merely an example to point out that re-flash tunes (whether they be Verso or ECUTek) are reliable when the car is used in anger and are also competitive...but of course success is mainly down to driving ability, but engine tune and suspension setup certainly help.

At least I have provoked some lively discussion.
Indeed you have! Nothing like a good ole internet cripple fight in the morning

I do agree with you that any re-flash tune (ecutek/verso/whatever) can provide a very competitive car in motor sport applications. (I had always assumed by the way it was written that you were propping up ecutek only with this reference).

As for disclosure, well I see your point, but where do we start and where do we stop? If you are promoting a product or service you offer, then yes you should disclose you are an owner/employee of that company at the time. If you are just a forum user who likes a product then you should have nothing to disclose.

This isn't a Verso related issue either, as a lot of forum users plug their companies on here.

Disclosure: I like BP Ultimate. The more you all use it, the more the plant breaks down and the more parts I can send down to BP
Old 21-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Dak Dak Boom!

BOMB3R is a guruBOMB3R is a guru

Love these threads!

I run EcuTek and love it! Although had I had the option of Verso I would have seriously looked at it, but being a new product that handles the most important part of your car I am not sure what I would have chosen regardless of the saving.

I would love to compare the 2 and see what difference there is between the 2 tunes and would be willing now to do that in the near future, as after a year if it had major issues you would have heard about them by now.

I really could not give a shit if people are biased to certain workshops or products, not sure why this is a huge issue. It is a forum, of course there a going to be people who are friends with certain workshops and tuners. Part of being on a forum?

It is up to the individual to make his or her decision at the end of the day.

I can see where you coming from though mate. You get burnt when talking about MMS or EcuTek but everyone else can promote their mates product?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
365hp and 515nm

New Beast to arrive April 2015 - 365hp, 450nm, 0-100 in 4.4sec. AMG Goodness!
Old 21-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Sir AntiLag

Denver at standard level

Quote:
Not arguing with that Denver...but we both know that it's a function of the degree of tune and not the product per se
This is where i disagree, as that, if ecutek just did full tunes, instead of tek 1 and 2 being a pre programmed map and then tek 3 being a propper tune, there would not have been that many failures, because the tunes would have been car specific, not a random generated "we think this will work" tune, which is just utterly retarded, see previous comment about martin donnon and dumb people..

seeing a pattern here yet?..

Tags
ecu, reflash, workshops