Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Stock ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Flat Four Father

FFOUR at standard level

I like stuff.

MY05 STI track car | VF Clubsport
Old 22-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Josh at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Josh

So to put it bluntly Fred, what's your fucking problem? Stop beating Verso down like Rodney King.
Old 22-03-2007, 11:53 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Utec ftw.
Old 22-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

I'm sure that all programs of this sort were "derived" from others...ECUTek was obviously first derived from the FHI OE program...

I have no problem with Verso or any other reflash (eg Cobb, AVO...etc)...how they were derived etc is a legal argument for people with law degrees and very fat wallets.

However, some of what Fred says has a degree of truth, so don't completely burn him. Some history for the record...my old MY02 STi had one of the first in WA) ECUTek tunes done in WA in it for some 3 years. When it was advertised for sale on this site in late 2005 I was contacted by Pete who asked me if he could connect his computer to my ECU and download the ECUTek. Not knowing him and the possibility of deleterious issues made me decline his request. But no big deal and good luck to him.

Some of the reasons why Verso is cheaper include:
It was not developed from the ground up like ECUTek
It was developed locally
ECUTek is an international program eminating from the UK and therefore has licencing fees

etc...therefore it would surprise me if Verso wasn't cheaper.

I'm sure it is a very good product (basically the same as ECUTek in that it allows access to the OE ECU for tuning)...but I chose ECUtek from MMS (disclosure)...my choice and one that I'm completely comfortable with.

Last edited by nauli; 22-03-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 22-03-2007, 12:02 PM
STI Master

Pettata at standard level

I bet with any new product that comes on the market, the manufacturers i'm sure would like to look at what the competitors are selling in an attempt to try and better their own products. Doesn't mean they are going to straight out copy. And If they were doing proper r&d they would have checked more than one type.

But who really knows what happened.... ?
Old 22-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

http://openecu.org

All the free reflashing software you need - kindly "DONATED" by hard working individuals for the benefit of end users (you & me).

Downloading, researching, understanding, testing & tweaking someone else's freeware then re-badging and selling it doesn't constitute R&D in my books and goes completely against the grain of the openecu community and the spirit & intent behind it and why it was created in the 1st place.

Map gathering will also now result in most tuners locking ecu's to prevent copying/distribution, so prepare yourself.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 22-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I suggest a group buy on tin foil hats.

Verso is based on the stock ecu rom and built up from there. Same as what ECUtek have done. There are no "ghost tunes" just flashed on cars.

To have a look at the history, Pete has been involved with stock ecu tuning for years. Helping out on worldwide ecu projects and investing a lot of his own time and money into it. So a few years ago he looks into what ECUtek were doing also. Sounds to me like what any researcher would do. (Disclaimer: I am a researcher for Curtin too, and I look at what other research has been done in a field too)

Fast forward a year and Pete along with others have found that the tools they have developed are useful for successfully tuning cars. So they get together with a tuner and start offering this service. Since it is there product they don't need to pay ECUtek licensing fees and the like, so they can offer a fantastic product at a fantastic price.

All these Chinese whispers of "oh 2 years ago Pete wanted to look at my ECUtek" or "Pete helped my with an ECUtek problem so he therefore copied my rom" etc are just silly claims to make.

Yes, Pete is one of my good friends. I have seen the amount of time and money he and others have put into providing this service to the people of Perth and I for one am very thankful for it.

This WRX community needs to stop slandering people and start working together. People no longer want to recommend or help anyone in case they are seen as being biased. I for one am sick of it and it really makes you consider leaving this community.

There is a vast range of people here with fantastic knowledge and skills. We should be working together to help ourselves and each other, rather than bicker over trivial made up matters.
Old 22-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 22-03-2007, 12:41 PM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
I suggest a group buy on tin foil hats.

Verso is based on the stock ecu rom and built up from there. Same as what ECUtek have done. There are no "ghost tunes" just flashed on cars.

To have a look at the history, Pete has been involved with stock ecu tuning for years. Helping out on worldwide ecu projects and investing a lot of his own time and money into it. So a few years ago he looks into what ECUtek were doing also. Sounds to me like what any researcher would do. (Disclaimer: I am a researcher for Curtin too, and I look at what other research has been done in a field too).
No argument there..he has done a good job

Quote:
Fast forward a year and Pete along with others have found that the tools they have developed are useful for successfully tuning cars. So they get together with a tuner and start offering this service. Since it is there product they don't need to pay ECUtek licensing fees and the like, so they can offer a fantastic product at a fantastic price..
Ditto

Quote:
All these Chinese whispers of "oh 2 years ago Pete wanted to look at my ECUtek".
Not a Chinese whisper...a fact btw...

Quote:
or "Pete helped my with an ECUtek problem so he therefore copied my rom" etc are just silly claims to make.

Yes, Pete is one of my good friends. I have seen the amount of time and money he and others have put into providing this service to the people of Perth and I for one am very thankful for it...
And he has done well and offered an alternative, which is a good thing.

Quote:
This WRX community needs to stop slandering people and start working together. People no longer want to recommend or help anyone in case they are seen as being biased. I for one am sick of it and it really makes you consider leaving this community..
The only person who's appearing to be "slandered" in this thread is Fred!

Quote:
There is a vast range of people here with fantastic knowledge and skills. We should be working together to help ourselves and each other, rather than bicker over trivial made up matters.
I agree wholeheartedly
Old 22-03-2007, 12:53 PM

BALISTC knows their stuff

At the risk of fuelling this fire even further, I know for a fact that Pete does not reverse engineer anyone elses tunes.

He uses a process which I'm sure will surprise some, it definitely surprised me when I first saw it...

What is it you may ask? Its a genuine Denso ECU emulator. Its used to program Denso ECUs.

They are used by car manufacturers for calibration engineering. Pete didnt have software for it, but he has written software to allow an interface that his choice of tuner (Sean at ASG), can use, rather than the unobtainable Denso software written in Japanese, designed to be used by engineers.

Note: I dont bat for anyone elses team but my own, but I believe that everyone needs to see this.

If I had that item, and I had the knowledge to be able to program in hex and do it time after time, for different models and for different vehicles, as well as write my own software so a tuner can program someones ECU in plain english, I'd probably be tuning ECUs too.

Last edited by BALISTC; 22-03-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
ecu, reflash, workshops