Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Stock ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Sir AntiLag

fsk at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99 View Post
Of course he will.

At the end of the day, his car will still run.
haha touche
Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Yeah I read it as :

Mao Tune >Smashes> Ecushit
Mao Tune >Way better than> Ecushit
Mao Tune >owns> Ecushit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao View Post
My bad. Apologies given, statement withdrawn.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Thanks for clearing that up. Again.

http://kap.industries/
Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Toohey at standard level

+1 for sean at ASG, although it did take them 5 hours before I got the car back. 1200 for the 06 due to the fly by wire throttle.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Thanks everyone for the tips on the tuners etc...

No I know that opensource isn't bad, just depends on the tuner if he knows what he's doing.

now some more time saving up for a nice TBE n tune
Old 13-11-2014, 03:18 AM
Scoobie Noobie

MikeyPSF at standard level

Hello there. My name is Mike and I'm one of two people that is the company Tactrix, maker of the OpenPort 2.0 hardware and free EcuFlash software. I ran across your site while looking for some info on an ADM STi and thought I'd comment on this thread to hopefully add some clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
Someone(not to name anyone here) told me that no Opensource tuned car is as fast as an EcuTek tuned car with same mods and all...I wonder
That's definitely not true. The car is as fast as the tuner is capable and there are plenty of tuners in the world that are as good if not better than EcuTek tuners. They all have access to the same ECU tables and a dyno. To say that nobody can beat an EcuTek tune is just wrong.

Quote:
The problem with open source is that it is free. Quite often than not, the scaling and definitions have to be scaled and loaded to get the software to work, so that the tune is accurate. So a tuner who understands the logic will able to tune it.
I would disagree here as well. I'm not sure how it works in Australia but in the US most tuners that use our product use it with the definitions provided except in the cases where there is a brand new definition/vehicle that is still being worked out in a beta phase. If you have a car that's even a few years old, it's likely that definition will need zero changes for you to start tuning immediately.

Quote:
For example, the def for MY13 STi is not offered in romraider. How a tuner gets ecuflash or romraider to work, will require a lil IT knowledge to get it working
Sure, a 2013 car when this post was made in 2013 was probably lacking a definition in RomRaider, but it's quite likely there now. Because the definition creation process is generally a community sourced effort, it will sometimes take a little while longer to complete definitions than higher cost products. That also depends on how much the car has changed from the previous year. The current STi is very similar to last year's STi, so we already have needed definitions but the newest WRX has an entirely new ECU so that definition is still being worked out.

Quote:
Putting bias aside, Ecutek is still open source
That depends on your definition of open source but I've never heard of EcuTek being called open source. We have people that sometime contact us asking us for the source code for our free EcuFlash software, which we've entirely written ourselves. While that is one definition of open source 'software', it isn't the definition of how open source is generally used in the tuning world. I think most who use the phrase open source 'tuning' mean it be a system where all tables are open to the end user/tuner and that the system used to do the tuning does not lock the ECU to further tuning by the end user. Since EcuTek locks the ECU and prevents the end user from making their own changes, it's generally not considered open source.

I agree that for some people EcuTek may be a more appropriate solution, but for those working on a budget, and wanting maximum control, including the ability to take their tuned ECU to another tuner if they aren't happy with their current tuner, an open source tune using a $169 piece of hardware, free software, and the services of a tuner for a couple hundred bucks, might be a great solution. Given we ship to Australia just about every day, I think there are plenty in the Australian Subaru community that would agree. We've shipped to Melbourne, Pakenham, Medowie, Sydney, Wollstonecraft, Leumeah, Aubin Grove, and East Victoria Park in the past week alone, as Austraila is one of our top three largest user communities outside the US.

Here is a tuner that does most of his work using our free software and logging data to remotely tune customer's cars for under a couple hundred $. On that page you can see his personal WRX that does 9+ seconds in the 1/4 mile. Not bad for an open source tune

Thanks for your time!
Mike
swingy, dnbosiris, RJ999 and 2 others like this.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeyPSF For This Useful Post:
dnbosiris (13-11-2014), joshrx (17-05-2015), munya (17-05-2015), RJ999 (13-11-2014), Rossco (13-11-2014), Saint_23 (13-11-2014), WREX (13-11-2014)
Old 17-05-2015, 05:32 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

Open source can do anything that either Cobb or Ecutek can do except flexfuel and building boost on launch control. Although both of these functions are almost ready for release. Per gear timing and per gear boost as well as flat foot shifting, switchable maps and speed density are also available on RomRaider/ open source.

Tags
ecutek, openecu, verso