Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex
Default No more milk carton!

Oh haiz

So a few members may have, or most likely haven't met me, however I've been lurking around PDiddy for a few years now (mostly harassing Rossco in the Apexi discussion forum) and thought it was about time I introduce my ride. And not your mother, you know her pretty well, so I'll talk about the other one.

So for my 19th birthday, sick of the usual socks and jocks I went and purchased a wr blue my99 wrx with 110K on the clock. At the time it ran an APS top mount, tbe, unishit and a pod filter. I think this was an APS STI power up kit, or something along those lines?? Also had king springs, koni shocks, and a set of 17 rims.

So it sat like that for a few years, but I really had just had a gut full of the unichip, and ended up strapping a VF30 onto it, along with an Apexi PFC and a Z32 afm. Along with a few exterior mods it eventually looked a little like this.

You may notice, I'm really not much of a god with a camera, hence the rather pox photos, but none the less, you get the idea.

However, this is when it all gets rather interesting. At the start of this year, I tossed around a few ideas as to getting a new car as I was spinning into the 200K club, or buying a 207, etc etc, when I was fortunate enough to come across quite a beauty at a damn fine price. I would explain it all myself, but the seller did a bang on job in his FS post so linky linky and you'll get the idea.
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/sale/31744-msr-stroker-motor-v5-sti-heads-other-parts.html
So It was decided to go down the rebuild path, and at the same time, just because, I've gone out and purchased a set of coilovers, new brakes (DBA 4000's), new sway bars and H bar, the entire catalogue of bushes, jdm sti tail lights, foglamp covers and a GTPumps GTPS02 twin scoll turbo complete with headers.

So over the last few days, I've driven my car home to SA for the build to carry on, unfortunately without me, but I just don't have the space to do so in Perth, so it seems the easier option in the long run. At this stage there are still many variables up in the air (6 speed mainly), but as the build gets underway I will try to keep this updated as new information gets passed onto me.

Here's hoping for an enjoyable and fruitful build.

Oh, and so technically in my Perth driveway is a Barina.

Kthxbai

Last edited by astralex; 13-08-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Bargin buying Gavs engine mate!!!

Personally I think those rims need to go, they don't suit the car very well
and they'd be heavy as.

Get yourself some light weight jap rims, they're very cheap these days.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 03-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Subaru Tech Division

I have contemplated new rims, as part of upgrading to a set of brembos, but at this stage I'm leaving them be. I have about five months of it sitting around in the shed to decide on such matters, so may look at something new in that time. And while I'm here I should thank Gav for the information and help I've gotten from him to get thus far.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

HAi Alex! Still got your old dead pfc? I was going to grab it off you to keep for spare components....

Nice powerplant by the way!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 03-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

STI325V6 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by astralex View Post
I have contemplated new rims, as part of upgrading to a set of brembos, but at this stage I'm leaving them be. I have about five months of it sitting around in the shed to decide on such matters, so may look at something new in that time. And while I'm here I should thank Gav for the information and help I've gotten from him to get thus far.
No worries mate, glad its gone to a good home.

It's funny how stuff sells when you ask for fair prices

Make sure you take photos as the build progresses, good to see you listened to me and went the twin scroll option, plenty of happy twin scroll turbo users on here..

Also agree with JDM_STYLE, get rid of those rims, I know where you can get a set of nice Rotas for a fair price

cheers
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 AM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Shall be an awesome car to drive when done I dare say.

New wheels maybe ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
HAi Alex! Still got your old dead pfc? I was going to grab it off you to keep for spare components....
It's sitting in a box with a big sad face on it, so you're welcome to it. PM me your number again and when I get back to Perth I'll give you a ring a ding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI325V6 View Post
Make sure you take photos as the build progresses, good to see you listened to me and went the twin scroll option, plenty of happy twin scroll turbo users on here..

Also agree with JDM_STYLE, get rid of those rims, I know where you can get a set of nice Rotas for a fair price

cheers
The old man is like a Japanese tourist at Sea World so I'm sure there will be many photos to post up as I receive them. In fact, today I replaced the standard taillights with the JDM ones, and already am liking where this is going!

And how much for the Rotas? I do like a good price
Old 05-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Subaru Tech Division

So I've been a bit lazy, and also haven't really had any happy snaps to upload, however tonight I received a few batches of photos from the cars visit to my suspension and brakes mechanic. After contemplating Brembo brakes, I just couldn't quite justify stretching the budget any further, so have once again gone for RDA rotors, fairly similar to the ones that were on the car for 6 or 7 years. Never had any problems with them in the past so slapped them on, along with some 'green stuff' pads. Have also replaced every single bush, mount, and everything else that looks red or yellow or rubbery under the car. At the same time also had coilovers put in to replace the standard strut assembly units. From what I've heard, it's quite a lovely car to drive now. :P

Anyway, tomorrow the car is being taken to the panel beater to have all of the dents taken out similarly to how the DingKing or something like that would be done, and what can't be taken out this way will get done by any other means necessary. Also having the bonnet, front bar, front guards and spoiler taken back and resprayed to remove stone chips, etc.

Tomorrow I plan on talking to ASG about cosworth cams, as from what I've read, they are the local supplier, and am also in the process of picking up a twin scroll turbo from my 'parts supplier' (Heh)

Anyway, that's just a brief update into the progress so far, and I shall keep you all informed as time passes.

Cheers, Alex.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:16 PM

mARC at standard level

Definitely like where this thread is going, keep us updated on the build when you can.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

STI325V6 knows their stuff

This thing is gonna haul, bet you're hanging to get that motor etc in and running, the 2.2 should suit the twin scroll to a tee!!

Tags
2.2, carton, milk