Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Deviouskim at standard level
Default Deviouskim's MY09 WRX Hatch

Well where do we start....? It was time to sell my ute as the kids kept complaining of how hot and noisy laying in the tray was when we went places and they didn't like it when I locked the hard cover when they annoyed me

So I went car shopping, what were the choices? Suzuki grand Vitara, Subaru Forrester or a Subaru WRX. Now mind you the car I had in my mind and I guess was the "dream car" was a white or gunmetal grey 2007 wrx sti. But I thought, no I better set myself a budget.... plus they seem to be hard to come by. Looked around on carsales and went to look at a couple of cars. Went past Subaru Ossie Park (which I vowed to not go there again because of a certain sales person who doesn't work there anymore) and thought I would just have a look. No rexs but there was an sti, sales bloke said there was a MY09 hatch coming in that week, which had the premium pack to it, Leather and sunroof (mmm I like leather and a sucker for a sunroof for some reason). Gave him my details and asked for him to call me when she came in.

Few days later, I got a call saying the car came in went past and had a squizz. Black 2009 Hatch, with black interior, leather seats with red WRX stitching, pretty immaculate really, sunroof and parrot bluetooth handsfree. Signed papers, gave them some money and the car was mine. And now the journey begins

Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

After having a bit of a sulk about my purchase, it just wasn't that square rex shape, not was it an 07 sti haha I finally agreed I can live with a compromise after talking to a friend which my purchase, it is still nice to drive and it has grown on me.

First thing I decided to do was get a turbo timer fitted, after it was fitted I am not too sure why but I guess it doesn't hurt to let the car idle a bit after a drive (which I do anyway but sometimes the missus forgets)

Went and visted Mao at evolution R and got an apexi turbo timer fitted on monday and while I was there, got my parker bulbs swapped for white ones which match up with the factory HIDs. That night, the Ultrex site some how appeared and an impulse buy of one of Rob's short shifters was purchased. Part came to work 2 today and is now fitted...

While I was stuffing around on the net doing some research on a new intake. Came across the snorkelus delete mod which from what I read removed an air intake silencer? Pulled out my air box to have a look. What is this... my air filter is black.... wtf?
From what I was told by the car yard. The car was serviced.... this air filter was absolutely filthy! made me wonder if the car was actually serviced... or was it and they didn't want to replace a filthy air filter? SIGH! well it was off to veales to get a new air filter and I will be going back to the car yard to have a chat with them. oh yeah I figured the mod didn't apply haha

Well it it wednesday night and a Turbosmart dual port BOV has been ordered (ricer factor +1) but I did love my turbosmart mega sonic BOV which I had on my old soarer and wow that was loud haha. It can be blanked off for when I get over it I guess....

I am now out of money, but my future purchases will include a CAI intake kit, don't know what brand but willing to listen to suggestions, I was thinking an AEM or cosworth kit. Then it will be saving up for suspension work. Have been quoted 2.5K for whiteline stuff. which was reconmended in another thread and probably throw in some H&R coils keeping the stock shocks.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Nice pickup. Forget the CAI though, doesn't need it. They breath well and if you do decide to go the way of CAI then you will need a tune as well. Save it for when you have the funds to do CAI + exhaust + tune all at once.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Welcome
Old 03-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Welcome to Perth-WRX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
Forget the CAI though, doesn't need it. They breath well and if you do decide to go the way of CAI then you will need a tune as well.
There was a paper (or two) about the stock intake on the 08+ models and how they aren't as restrictive as they have been in the past.
A tune is highly recommended if you wish to make changes to the intake or exhaust systems.

I would highly recommend going for some suspension upgrades first (swaybars, end links, control arm braces, etc).
Would be more than happy to demonstrate what a mildly modified betty handles like

Enjoy the forums and the club and look forward to seeing the car on a cruise sometime
Old 04-08-2011, 12:57 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Thanks guys, in regards to the CAI. I was under the impression that a tune wasn't required =\ was after some induction noise.

Soksta, might have to take you up on that one day do have a bit of a shopping list in terms of the suspension. not too sure where to start, was just thinking rear and front sway bar first.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Sorry to say this...

CAI is a waste of money. Snorkus delete, cold air intakes etc are all for noise. I'm not a fan of CAI's that go down in the guards as you have a big chance of sucking in water if you go through a puddle.

Turbo timer is a waste of money and fuel. Turbo does not need it, just don't thrash the car and turn it off straight away. (It's ok to leave on now that you have it, but not needed for the stock turbos. Also check with your insurer about it.).

BOV is a waste of money, fuel and these days is just a cop magnet (and given how the 2.5L's seem to pop according to a few members on here, you should really get a tune for it).

For me, I'd get an exhaust and a tune done, drop it ~25mm (not the super low springs that are 50mm lower if you want to have your shocks last more than a year), front and rear sway bar, pro alignment and maybe a roll center kit if your aligner thinks it is necessary.

Bam - fast, fun car.

Next best modification is to book into the RAC for some driver training skid pan days (some are advertised on here). Learn to push the car in a safe environment with instructors available to show you how to improve your driving.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

Another Betty owner... welcome!

Do the exhaust and get a tune.. will be a whole new car! Then get rid of the boat handling problem next.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:07 PM
STI Master

monkeee at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Sorry to say this...

CAI is a waste of money. Snorkus delete, cold air intakes etc are all for noise. I'm not a fan of CAI's that go down in the guards as you have a big chance of sucking in water if you go through a puddle.

Turbo timer is a waste of money and fuel. Turbo does not need it, just don't thrash the car and turn it off straight away. (It's ok to leave on now that you have it, but not needed for the stock turbos. Also check with your insurer about it.).

BOV is a waste of money, fuel and these days is just a cop magnet (and given how the 2.5L's seem to pop according to a few members on here, you should really get a tune for it).

For me, I'd get an exhaust and a tune done, drop it ~25mm (not the super low springs that are 50mm lower if you want to have your shocks last more than a year), front and rear sway bar, pro alignment and maybe a roll center kit if your aligner thinks it is necessary.

Bam - fast, fun car.

Next best modification is to book into the RAC for some driver training skid pan days (some are advertised on here). Learn to push the car in a safe environment with instructors available to show you how to improve your driving.
What he said. bolt-on my09 will be plenty quick enough

Welcome, enjoy the car and the club.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

I don't like you sensible guys!

Will definately do the RAC driver training, will be saving for exhaust, cai and tune after I do the suspension work I think. Only thing is that, there is new car warranty, I would assume it would be void when I do all this work

Tags
deviouskim, hatch, my09, wrx