Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level
Default RoughStilin's GDB STI

Hey people.

My car is going into Evolution R tomorrow to get some work completed. I thought now would be a good time to start my driveway thread.

The story so far goes a little like this.

I purchased the car around 12 months ago, it already had a cat back exhaust, HKS dry pod filter and lowered on king springs. The car made 187 hp and 280 nm of torque.

The car went into ASG around 2 months later and had a dump pipe, high flow cat, Walbro 255 fuel pump and a Verso tune. The car went to 252 hp and 370 nm of torque.

This info can be found in this thread HERE for those interested.

I was going to complete work to the car around 9 months ago, but I held off. I am heading in a similar direction now, only with a different turbo and retaining the TMIC.

So on the list now to be completed :-

1. Spec C twin scroll sump
2. Kando twin scroll headers & up-pipe
3. HKS GT 2835 (Twin entry turbo)
4. Grimmspeed boost solenoid
5. Perrin intake hose and shorter MAF hose
6. Change over flange on top of dump pipe to suit twin scroll
7. Possibly injectors if required
8. Vi-pec V44 PNP ECU with tune
9. Cusco oil catch can
10. STD coil overs

Will drop the oils in the motor, gearbox and diff and change out with Cusco and Redline lightweight and heavyweight. Possibly put a new set of spark plugs in too as the car is about 5000 k's from the 150,000 mark.

The STI TMIC will hold back the power I would say, going from the research I have done. But I just wanted to see how far I can push it.

Does anyone also know the average capabilities of the standard injectors, HP wise without going over the 80 - 85% duty cycle?

I have posted up a few pics of the car and the parts. I will keep this thread updated with the work as it progresses, inclusive of pics and dyno charts once the work is completed.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0585.jpg   IMG_0589.jpg   IMG_0646.jpg   IMG_0685.jpg   IMG_0707.jpg  

Simon.

Last edited by RoughStilin; 13-06-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Default More photos

Just a few more photos
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0708.jpg   IMG_0716.jpg   IMG_0726.jpg   IMG_0566.jpg  

Simon.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Nice parts. Sensible modifications. Who's tuning your ECU and what does Vipec offer over Verso?

Just needs some sweet wheels now.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jungleboy at standard level

My first verso tune on stock injectors and turbo made 302 hp. The injector where around 95% IDC on the logs. So anything bigger than the stock turbo you will need bigger injectors.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
Nice parts. Sensible modifications. Who's tuning your ECU and what does Vipec offer over Verso?
Vipec offers MAF-less running, so can run any size intake that is required, rotated mount, K&N if desired. Plus inbuilt data-logging, per cylinder compensations for injectors, also, but less nessacary for a daily, is anti-lag
To the OP, nice car, keep us updated on how the Vipec goes.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 13-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post

Just needs some sweet wheels now.
Cheers Rich,

I have thought about wheels, but to be honest I cant be arsed. I figure, I am going to get them painted (maybe by me) gun metal gray, or black and keep what have for now.

The Vi-pec allows more control over the engine management. I guess the ability to fine tune the vehicle more over a flash or open source tune. It also comes with other features if you want them, such as launch control and antilag. John has pretty much answered the Vi-pec question above.

Evolution R boys will be doing the tune. There is Mao, Warick and also possibly an old Perth tuner who has not been on the scene for awhile. This is not confirmed yet. However if Mao wants to chime in and let everyone who is interested know who he is, then I am sure he will

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
My first verso tune on stock injectors and turbo made 302 hp. The injector where around 95% IDC on the logs. So anything bigger than the stock turbo you will need bigger injectors.
Cheers for that, Jungleboy. I thought they would be too small. I have found some 83lb or around 870 cc injectors for sale on here and once i get confirmation they are suitable for my car, I shall grab them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvk7 View Post
Vipec offers MAF-less running, so can run any size intake that is required, rotated mount, K&N if desired. Plus inbuilt data-logging, per cylinder compensations for injectors, also, but less nessacary for a daily, is anti-lag
To the OP, nice car, keep us updated on how the Vipec goes.
John

Thanks for your comments on the car.

You are correct that I might be going overboard (not required for a daily use car) with the vi-pec, but I honestly believe I will a benefit from it. Not just the antilag wank factor, although I am sure I will have a bit of fun with antilag Just not too much Wanna keep that turbo good and strong.

Simon.
Old 13-06-2011, 09:04 AM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Showing ignorance here but is a twin entry turbo the same as twin-scroll?
Old 13-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

HKS200 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
Showing ignorance here but is a twin entry turbo the same as twin-scroll?
yep, nice sti roughstilin

after a STi V1 or V2 lip for bug eye, PM me for info thanks!
Old 13-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

No.

They are similar, to the point of the exhaust gasses going into the turbine, a twin scroll has two separate inlet nozzles inside the turbine housing. These start at twin entry inlet and run all the way through the housing separately, right up to the turbine blading. See the attached picture. See how the red and yellow exhaust gasses start seperate and hit from separate nozzles inside the casing?

True twin scroll

The twin entry, single scroll is similar in that the exhaust gasses enter the housing, but then, rather than hitting the blading in 2 different gad paths, they join up into 1, just like a single scroll turbo. Basically looking at the picture, the red and yellow gasses would join inside the inlet to the turbo. They become 1 just before the blading, rather than keeping them separate until after hitting the blading, so to speak.

Hope that makes some sense

Simon.
Old 13-06-2011, 12:20 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Yep it does. That's what I thought was the situation.

May I ask why all the effort for "twin entry" without employing the total advantage of twin scroll snail?

Tags
gdb, roughstilin, sti