Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Sorry yes Kolb (Kolbe), but you brake from fifth back to second for a release then back to third a poofteenth later, surely this costs you 1/2 a second, why not go back to third and be done for it.

I'm no where near as quick as you but this is a high reving third for me.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 11-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

I 'm pretty sure I never go into second Tim? You are talking from "fifth back to second" as in gear changes right? 3rd gear is the lowest I go at Barbs, I should really stay out of 3rd & I would if i had more torque (as in a 2.5 ltr) but I don't.

Simon.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Master D knows their stuff

I didnt see him click second once around the basin :-/
Brakes dowbshifts from 5th back to 3rd, then after the car is turned in, he goes to 4th to get over the hill :-/

Thats what i was/would do.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

^^^ Sorry re-watched and was as above, it was the the left sweeper where you go 5th 3rd then 4th @ 3.59.

I think i'm 3rd at the first corner, 4th through the esses and back to 3rd in the sweeper left. After seeing this (and having a 2.5) looks like i'll be a gear higher next time.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckle View Post
^^^ Sorry re-watched and was as above, it was the the left sweeper where you go 5th 3rd then 4th @ 3.59.

I think i'm 3rd at the first corner, 4th through the esses and back to 3rd in the sweeper left. After seeing this (and having a 2.5) looks like i'll be a gear higher next time.
Yeah, the left sweeper after the esses I did drop into 3rd by accident once, as this is the gear I used to go around in with my old tyre size. I am now getting used to in certain parts of the track, go substantially quicker now, hence I can now go through the esses in 5th and only drop down to 4th to go around the left sweeper and then back into 5th over skyline, or whatever its called.

The whole car is sliding as I go over the top of the skyline corner at around 155 ish kph, infact as the day got hotter on Sunday the tyres started going off & I should have come in, but I kept going, getting some sideways action in and had a blast

Simon.
Old 17-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Time for a bit of an update.

So, the car was going pretty well. I converted over to E85 towards the end of last year, but unfortunately only netted around 25 hp & another 30 nm of torque on the same 1.4 bar. I was expecting more to be honest & I had 2 different people tune the car, on 2 different dyno’s & the same approximate result was achieved +/- 10%. Even with only a small increase in power, the car did feel much more lively though & the power band was moved by around 800 rpm to the left.

All was going really well until I went to the first nolimits night for this year. The car started to get a miss in it on the first lap of short track & then I noticed the coolant temps rising as I went to line up for the second outing. Farrk, another head gasket was the first thing that sprung to mind.

After doing a comp test & a couple of other things, we could not find anything wrong. I know that something was wrong though & decided to pull the motor anyway to attempt to find the issue.

I was a little surprised at first, as when I pulled the heads off I could not see anything wrong as such. It was only after close inspection You could see clean faces on the gasket & on the block, indicating a area where the water had gone between the two.

This would then indicate to me that the ARP 2000 head studs have stretched & lifted the head for this type of damage to happen? It was not a definite clean “cut” through the gasket like I have seen normally with HG failure.

Whatever the reason for failure of the HG, I talked myself into building a new engine with the spare parts I have lying around, as the motor was now out & I should really give back the loaner bottom end. I have the need for more power & I will now no longer be putting a beefed up motor in the STI so I may as well put those parts to good use...

I really wanted to do a 2.35, but time was the major factor & so was the cost of off the shelf 2.2 pistons vs 2.35 custom mades & also the cost of putting the sleeves in. So I decided to put together a quick 2.1 / 2.2

So currently the new list goes.

New closed deck block
Block bored & honed to accept the 92.5mm pistons
Block "O Ringed" for a bit of insurance against future HG failure
14mm Possum Bourne head studs machined into block
Everything balanced at Performance mods

Manley Billet crank (leftover from the STI build parts pile)
Pauter rods (leftover from the STI build parts pile)
Manley stroker pistons
Cosworth oil pump (leftover from the STI build parts pile)
Fluidamper
New larger plenum inlet manifold
8mm Phenolic spacers (leftover from the STI build parts pile)
Twin row aluminium radiator
ACL bearings
Gates belt
AVCR boost controller

Heads have been sent to Performance Mods to have the following:-

1mm oversized SS Nitrated inlet valves machined into head & fitted
1mm oversized Inconel exhaust valves machined into head & fitted
Double row springs
Ti retainers
New valve guides
Kelford high lift 272 cams fitted - See below for more info.
Head faces machined

I actually got the AVCS version of the cams, due to having AVCS capable heads. The idea here is down the track do a wiring harness swap with a version 7-10 STI, put in my Vi-Pec & make use of the AVCS. This will not be done for a couple of months yet though. I cannot use the AVCS at the moment due to only using a Power FC.

Most of the machining work has been done already & everything except the bearings has now arrived. I really do have my fingers crossed that this motor will be together by the last RallySprint round in March, but its doubtful. If it’s not ready for the RS, I really want to make sure it’s done for the first MC Motorsport event, so I can get use to the car before the Speed Event Series super stage in Busselton.
seagull, RUSSGT, Master D and 5 others like this.

Simon.
Old 17-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

I understood every word of that post because i am a mechanic...

umm good work!
Qu3xy likes this.
Old 17-02-2013, 08:32 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Sounds great Simon, seems a few of you guys are taking it to a new level which is great.

Hopefully you get it ready so you can get a few kms under your belt, a few are keen on the Busso stage, including me, so fingers crossed it works out.

<keenforbeersandpervingonbussoslappers>
Master D likes this.
Old 17-02-2013, 09:51 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid View Post
I understood every word of that post because i am a mechanic...
Howz ya new radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT43 View Post
Sounds great Simon, seems a few of you guys are taking it to a new level which is great.

Hopefully you get it ready so you can get a few kms under your belt, a few are keen on the Busso stage, including me, so fingers crossed it works out.

<keenforbeersandpervingonbussoslappers>
New level? In what regard mate?

Im really looking forward to the Busso SS, according to Robbie the night after the racing can get a bit loose.

Simon.
Old 17-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Not too many guys with subies running the strokers competitively [Prototype] is the only one I've really known about over the last couple of years and it seems as though yourself and Robbie ( was amazed at his car at last Rallysprint ) are going at it full bottle which is great to see.
Off topic but is Geoff running a stroker too as he was in a different class at last Rallysprint or was that a mistake?

Tags
#bigbluewheelstime, can i have a sugar daddy?, daz, gf8, hack, kapow = kamao, pink mesh track hack, racecar, roughstilin, this wagon just got shit done, track, track hack