Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 08:51 AM
STI Master

MY00GC8 at standard level

we need videos of wheel spinning action!
Old 13-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

So it's race day at barbagello, the proof will be in the pudding, as they say, with the lap times. Fingers crossed all goes well
baylee, Master D, MY00GC8 and 1 others like this.

Simon.
Old 13-07-2013, 07:39 AM
STI Master

Spektre knows their stuff

Good luck mate
baylee likes this.
#217 Street Cars WA
Full 04 STi drivetrain
08 JDM 207
Garrett 3076 xtr
Old 13-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Seen the practice time, hope all is good.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 13-07-2013, 03:59 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

So today did not go very well at all. Catch can breathing oil out of the filter & either a failing in tank pump or more than likely a blocked filter, meant I could only get one hot lap in. I only got 2 timed laps for the whole day due to little niggly issues. Cars first outing, I was hoping that it would all be good, oh well the car goes like absolute stink.

About to have a beer now, will write more tonight & put up some footage if it comes out.
Jeckle likes this.

Simon.
Old 13-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

The one hot lap I saw that car has the speed and sounded real good till the miss fire due to the fuel problem
Old 14-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Still good for 15th outright, 1st in class, 1st Subbie, and I would guess first on non semi slicks.

Hopefully fuel issues is an easy fix.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Old 14-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

So as per my previous post I was not the happiest little Vegemite yesterday, but the car goes well in a straight line & gets its power down well. I seems I have gained so much more speed, that in certain parts of the track, where I was used to having the throttle to the floor the whole way, I could no longer do this. As you can see in the video below, through the esses I "used" to be able to hold the throttle flat, now it seems I have so much speed, that I went in way too hot, and if I had attempted the right over the hill, I would have spun. I was also seeing how well the car actually 4 wheel drove

As I already knew, the brakes are now not enough & I was doubtful on how quickly they would pull me up a few times. Don't get me wrong, the combination of the WRX 4 & 2 pots, matched with Project MU pads, did really well with my old setup. But, with more power, comes more speed, more speed either needs larger braking distances, or bigger brakes to accommodate the extra power. I now need bigger brakes...

I will also need to get myself some good rubber as when I went out on practice, I could get all 4's to spin around any of the corners with ease. The lap in the video is with my mates R Comps on, I wish I did not have the fuel issue though, or I would have really pushed some more, got used to the car & could have had a much better opportunity at learning the car more & running a better time.

The fuel issue was basically:- I could get a slow warm up lap & 1 hot timed lap in before I would start to run lean. I could get the car back to the pits, but as soon as I tried to get onto boost, it would run lean (we did not have any issues on the dyno though). I now believe to be as simple as a filter on the suction of the in tank pump. Basically the 3.5 litres of fuel in the swirl pot, was used up in the warm up & hot lap & then the in tank pump could not get fuel quickly enough into the swirl pot to keep up with the fuel required on boost. The myth of Ethanol "cleaning" the tank internals is probably true & all the crap that was in the fuel tank from the last 16 years has eventually partially blocked / blocked the filter, restricting the flow. It may also be due to me changing from a sugar to corn based fuel & it is also possible that it may be related to the GD cars running a variable speed drive to the in tank pump?? I will find out for sure this arvo though.

It really is a whole new car, I have to learn everything again now, as to when to get on & off the power, when to brake & how to feather the throttle around corners again, as it can get quite lively if you just stomp it out of the corners.

I was really hoping for a quicker time than I got & I still believe the car has it in it, but it will require a couple of things to get it there, namely me getting used to the power & staying on the track, the new catch can setup & the fueling issue. The add the new rubber & brakes & I think I will be onto a winner.

I did get first in class though, which I'm happy about, I just wish my expectations were not as high for the car on its first outing. Hindsight tells me I should have at least gone to the RAC track for an hour prior to the event, to get acquainted to the car & its new power & old characteristics again, as its been over 6 months since I have driven it. But I didn't, who cares, the 2 laps I did get to do I had heaps of fun & put a huge smile on my dial. More to come though, a few tweaks here and there & its gonna be a monster.

Trophy

Video 65.4 sec - I will check the telemetry from the Performance box later today & see how much quicker I was going in places compared to the old engine. I need to lose 4 seconds somewhere....

Simon.
Old 14-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Sir AntiLag

macmillionare at standard level

I'm surprised you didn't have to come in after lap 1 for a nappy change! That looked brutal
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Top Speed:[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"]Depends on how fast I can push it[/COLOR]

05 WRX wagon daily driven
Old 14-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Haha, wait till I add some more power, get the brakes done, add some good rubber, get used to the car & fix the known issues I have. It's gonna be fun then
Dan [GTI] likes this.

Simon.

Tags
#bigbluewheelstime, can i have a sugar daddy?, daz, gf8, hack, kapow = kamao, pink mesh track hack, racecar, roughstilin, this wagon just got shit done, track, track hack