Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 10:12 AM
Sir AntiLag

GTLeggy at standard level

Doesn't sound like you've tested the set-up under power and know if you there is a problem, so it may all work right so give it a go, couple of points to consider ;

- Turbo drain is a pretty important thing, especially in a low mount i just wouldn't screw with it, you need to consider air pressure that may be introduced also and not let it do its thing.

- Goop from the cans is a thing, but worse yet if your running E85 you would be getting massive amounts of water in the breather system, then draining that back into the turbo's sump. Also i've used taps on the bottom of catch cans before, with a length of hose etc so you can drain it real easy in position....use too smaller tap and most of the time the water and oil goop in the bottom of the can will block up the tap/hose and i need a syringe to suck the milky goop out of the can, a 1.5mm hole with gravity would get blocked real quick.
Old 31-12-2016, 11:23 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Yeah. Current testing only consists of running in the garage and a quick trip out the front to wash it after the 6 months of fabrication. The car has had alot of mods recently, including a brand new ECU. And it hasnt been tuned at all apart from my begginner attempts to get it atleast running. So im reluctant to get it out on the road and driving until its tuned by a non-amature like myself. But at the same time, im reluctant to get it down to the tuner unless the oil drain system is all good. Kind of a catch 22 situation.

In the testing ive done i have allowed it to reach normal operating temps, and given enough RPMs to reach max oil pressure. And the drain system has not had issues apart from what was previously discussed. The only added variable will be with the vehicle moving about, and with the possibility of blowby cloggage.

I guess i could try and measure the vacuum generated inside the collector using my miti-vac and see if it is pulling a significant vacuum?

I did previously have the cans simply draining via a little tap for each can drain out the bottom, and yeah, there was always a small amount of that e85/oil/water goop mix. But its never been a massive amount. And it never clogged the taps. The car is not a street car. Once its up and running properly again, it will only be used for motorsport. So it doesnt collect the same level of condensation as a frequent cold start street vehicle, and with the motorsport, you can be sure it will always get nice and hot to boil off any condensation that does make it. And also very regular oil changes. And a very large capacity oil system. (Over 5L now due to over size sump and the very large remote mount oil filter, oil cooler, accusump and associated plumbing)

And im guessing that because it is constantly draining, having the goop accumulate in the first place in order to clog probably wont happen. I am kinda reluctant to drill out the holes larger than 1.5mm now as then i could potentially be introducing swarf into the system. And i dont want that.

I think the next step is get the car tuned and see how it goes on the dyno. Then driving with g-forces etc.
Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 31-12-2016, 11:36 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Im curious to know what pump you use for scavenge on your setup?

I have a Mocal gear oil pump. Its the metal body one, not the plastic one they also do. It is supposedly good for circulating oils for cooling (diff/transmission etc), and advertised as a good option for turbo scavenge. But who really knows.

Its noisy as all buggery. Which i actually like because it means i can hear if its working or not. And it certainly seems to have good vacuum on the suction, flow, and pressure outlets with the bench testing etc. The noise isnt an issue. I more concerned with function and reliability.
Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 31-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

You don't want vacuum on the turbo oil drain/sump, only the suction to empty it if that makes sense, that's why venting it effectively is important so it sits at a neutral pressure, that is what your turbo oil seal wants to work with.

I run a element tuning dry sump kit, ARE dry sump pan, factory position oil pump(Cosworth high volume) provides pressure and an Avid 3 stage dry sump pump, 2 large -12 stages clear the engine sump and a little -6 stage was added to clear turbo sump. Its just like the Cosworth kit...but better, 1/2 the price and the Avid pump runs in the AC comp position and uses the AC belt, not some bulky retarded gilmore drive addition.
Old 31-12-2016, 04:35 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Yeah im aware you dont want vacuum in the oil collector. Just suction on its drain sufficient to pull the oil up to the pump. And that is precisely why i put the 2 catch cans to the top of the collector.

But i assumed that at the same time, you wouldnt want too much air either. As too much air getting pulled through could take the place if oil. (In my head that makes more sense than it reads.) Hence the 2 x 1.5mm holes. I guess for now i want to test if its actually gonna work. And then if i need to make revisions, i will.

Dry sump sounds the buisness. Maybe i should just do that haha.
Bruno (19-04-2017)
Old 31-12-2016, 06:53 PM
Sir AntiLag

Hang on are you saying your only vent on your turbo sump is the 2 lines to your catch cans with a 1.5mm orifice in each ?
The Following User Says Thank You to GTLeggy For This Useful Post:
06STI (03-01-2017)
Old 31-12-2016, 07:35 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Currently yes.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Sir AntiLag

You need a vent as big as the scavenge suction for the pump to be able to work....add a -6 line for vent.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:27 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

God damn Jacob!!! Was round his placeast night and saw he had pulled his dash out to get all the sound deadening weight out of the behind it, and also pull the heavy HVAC unit aswell.

Nekminit- i did the same. Haha. When i originally pulled my sound deadening and interior wieght adders out if the car, i never went as far as pulling the dash to get whats behind there out. And even when i deleted my AC. I only pulled the engine bay components out. Never bothered with the inside stuff. But given the car is so modified already. And doing it was only a few extra hours anyways. It was decided.

Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:15 PM
STI Master

Jacob92 at standard level

Haha there is some heavy non race car crap back there your welcome

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Tags
sled, yeti