Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 09:35 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Yeah. I was considering getting alot smaller SSB. Something like about the 300cca range. Like what you have there. 250-300cca or so will start a low compression 4cyl engine. But i opted for a slightly larger 600cca item even though it was more expensive and a little bit heavier.

The reason. Is a potential problem that i can see with the smaller units. And that is the maximum charge current inwards. The small ones are only rated down at like 20-30amps in. Which is ok on a motorcycle with a smallish charge system. But on a car like a subaru with an 80odd amp alternator. Then if the battery is diacharged and you then run the car up enough revs to reach maximum alt output, you could potentially exceed that low in current limit. The larger batteries can handle like 30-40amp inwards. (I think my one is rated at 36a) which is a bit better. With the car running, and both fuel pumps plus scavenger pump and such going, i still could potentially feed more amps in. But not by much. So im hoping that will increase the life?

As said. Ive not had any professional experience with these battery's yet.

Im presuming just like a standard car battery. Once they are charged they will take less and less current inwards and the voltage rise. So the alternator will be regulating down the field current, therefore alternator output will reduce until its low enough to maintain the system voltage at whatever the regulator is set at. Somewhere about the 14v range. So once its charged it shouldnt be able to exceed the inwards current limit. But if its in a discharged state then it could.

Last edited by Bram; 19-01-2017 at 08:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bram For This Useful Post:
JRecardo (19-01-2017)
Old 19-01-2017, 09:39 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Glad you liked the videos. They say 1 picture is 1000 words. So a video is like 1000 pictures. I plan to do more videos as i do stuff. I might even try and step my game up as far as presentation and video proffessionalism haha. I just wish i had of been doing vids from way back when i started the car. Now the car is nearly finished.
JRecardo likes this.
Old 19-01-2017, 09:42 AM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

You have definitely put a lot more thought into it than I have, good reading there. I was using it on a bone stock Evo 5 without any issues for a few months, but will be moving it over to a Subaru on e85 soon with bigger pump etc so will see how it fairs. 2kg is still incredibly light when even the commonly used odyssey Pc680 is still 7kg.
Old 19-01-2017, 09:43 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Less than 2kg haha. 1.7kg advertised. Will put it on my AC gas scales and check when i do a video. Battery cable will wiegh more than the battery haha.
Old 21-01-2017, 10:01 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Some video of my new SSB Lithium Ion battery. I weighed my old battery and compared it to the new lithium. It weighs about 1/10th of the battery it replaces. :shock:

DZENCI, TROLLEY, nick73 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Bram; 21-01-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 21-01-2017, 11:52 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

Informative, thanks
Bram likes this.
Old 26-01-2017, 07:49 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Heres a little switch board i made up for some extra features.

LC = Launch Control. I basically want this feture setup like a simple 2-step ign cut limiter. (With maybe some extra fuel and ignition retard for a bit of anti-lag effect thrown in). Top push button activates/deactivates it. The trim potentiometer below is set to work on a 3D table in the LC section of the ECU. Basically i can use the trim pot to set the RPMs thats the limiter engages in. From say 3000 to 6000 using the trim pot. Perfect for dialling in a perfect launch depending on surface. I dont want the LC doing IGN cut once the car begins moving. I want it simple like a basic 2 Step. And i want it to dis-engage as soon as the car begins moving. Car is a AWD with 295s, no need for cut once the car has moved off the line.

ALS = Anti-Lag System. I dont think anti lag will be of much benifit for my driving. Maybe even a little detrimental with the ALS driving me on under brakes, and the issues it can cause with inconsistent vaccum assisted brakes, and i dont really want to shred my new turbo either. But i figure i have an ECU that can run it. So why not. Bang Bang Bang in car park for the LOLs. Top switch activates/deactivates it. Trim pot to adjust how aggressive it is much like the LC trim pot.

Scavenge pump is obviously for the scavenge pump. But its not a simple on/off switch. When the switch is off, the scavenge pump will only operate with engine oil pressure. When the switch is on, the scavenge pump will run as long as the ECU is on. This will basically allow the ignition switch / ECU to be left on, without the pump constantly running on. But yet still keep it automatic when the engine does run.

The Accusump switch is a mometary switch. I have the accusump to automatically turn on at 2500 RPM. And i have set the momentary switch up to manually open the accusump up. This would be for pre-oiling before start for example.

The box has space for 2 additional switchs aswell. I ran out of tape for my labell maker, hence the masking tape labells haha. The box has a bulkhead mount DT 12 pin Deutsch plug in order to seperate it when needed. The box will be mounted in the hole where the stereo used to go.

joeman, AWDmoke, DZENCI and 2 others like this.
Old 26-01-2017, 11:50 PM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

Very impressed.
Old 27-01-2017, 12:06 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Pic doesnt show it. But those push buttons have an illumination light in the ring. I have wired it using some additional resistors, using the second set of switch contacts for each switch so that when the ign is on, they glow dull green (night time ullumination). And when the switchs are on, the go full brightness.
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 14-02-2017, 08:39 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Dyno vids and a better view of the graph to be uploaded later. Just a quick FB grab for now.

Home made low mount turbo system seems to be holding up. Had a spark issue up top, needing to gap the plugs down a bit to fix. And then later on a hose clamp slipped off. But we were able to fix everything on the dyno and she made 412hp. But i asked Justin to bring the boost back a touch for a bit of safety margin. (Because non-CBD EJ25) so probs around 400hp at 1.5/1.6 bar now.

Still at shop getting some cold start and cruise adjustments. But power tune is done. Pick up tomorrow.

DZENCI, XT43, TROLLEY and 6 others like this.

Tags
sled, yeti