Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-12-2015, 10:53 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Paddock skids woud be enjoyable. But a pretty poor test of the handbrake.
Old 22-12-2015, 08:36 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob92 View Post
I was at mms last week a few of there cars run that sti set uo might be worth a call or visit and asking

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
As does mine...but they (and mine) don't have ABS. Bram, it may be worthwhile asking Rob about your setup...
Old 22-12-2015, 11:58 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
As does mine...but they (and mine) don't have ABS. Bram, it may be worthwhile asking Rob about your setup...
Hey Steve. When it was setup in your old car, can you recal if (or would you expect) it was able to lock the wheels if you pulled it while rolling along at say 50kmh in a straight line? I know thats not a typical use for a hydro. But im wondering if it is infact working fine, and i am simply expecting it to do what it can never be able to do? As said. I have not tried to do an actiual handbrake turn yet, just tested it a couple of goes in a straight line on the road.
Old 22-12-2015, 02:36 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Bumped into Damien from Stechnic today at Cooldrive. Had a chat about the handbrake issues and he suggested to be sure the proportioning valve is before the handbrake master cylinder. (Im 99.9% sure it is, but ill double check again) Also said that the brembo 2pots may not be the best calipers for use? Thier gravel cars use the WRX 2pots and he reckons they lock up with gracel tyres on tarmac, with the same handbrake master cylinder.

He also got Doug to call me and have a chat about it aswell. (Which i really appreciate the effort.) He suggested that i unplug the gearbox loom so i can be certain the DCCD is open and try again. Possibly the DCCD is staying active which is mechanically linking rear wheels to front wheels. Unplugging the entire gearbox is a positive way to rule that out. He aslo said that whenever he does a handbraky, its always while turning. So potentially that is my problem right there. And also that potentially the tyres are too sticky for handbrakys.

So that has given me a few more things to test / check.
TROLLEY, Tiigga and amtrapid like this.
Old 22-12-2015, 10:30 PM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

[QUOTE=Bram;833968]My current suspicion is perhaps the brembos just dont have enough piston volume?

I believe that Nissan 2 pot rear calipers have larger piston area than the Brembo 2 pot calipers.
Luckily for you they share the same mounting pattern and are a direct bolt on.

Many people have bolted Subaru rear 2 pot Brembo calipers to Nissan Skylines when fitting Skyline GTR front 4 pot Brembo calipers only to experience a down grade in rear brake effectiveness.
Strubaru, Bram and amtrapid like this.
Old 23-12-2015, 05:54 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by type25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
My current suspicion is perhaps the brembos just dont have enough piston volume?
I believe that Nissan 2 pot rear calipers have larger piston area than the Brembo 2 pot calipers.
Luckily for you they share the same mounting pattern and are a direct bolt on.

Many people have bolted Subaru rear 2 pot Brembo calipers to Nissan Skylines when fitting Skyline GTR front 4 pot Brembo calipers only to experience a down grade in rear brake effectiveness.
Do you have specifics about which model Nissan calipers interchange? They get both 'normal' and 'brembo' variants dont they? Are there differences over different model Skylines as far as mounting or sizing goes? Do any of them work with the Subaru Brembo sized rear rotor, or do you need to swap rotors aswell?

Quick 4am google session found this:

Subaru rear 2 pot WRX :
Piston Diameter = 38.1mm
Rotor size = 290 x 18mm

Subaru rear 2 pot STi Brembo :
Piston Diameter = 36mm
Rotor Size = 316 ×20mm

R32 GTST / R33 GTST / R32 GTR (non Vspec)
Piston diameter = 38.18mm
Rotor Size = 297 x 18mm

R32 GTR Vspec / R33 GTR / R34 GTR Brembo :
Piston Diameter = 40mm
Rotor Size = 300 × 22mm

It would seam the GTR Brembos would be the ones to go for with the larger 40mm pistons, compared to the STi Brembos with only 36mm pistons. Thats actually a pretty large volume difference given that circle area is a ^2 relationship to circle diameter.

But what rotor would you use? The Subaru Brembo or the Nissan Brembo? The Nissan is 300mm diameter which is a bit smaller than the 316mm of the Subaru. 8mm difference of radius as seen at the caliper. Not much, but enough to probably make them not interchange??? (unless the mounting location on the hub of nissan vs subaru already adjusts for that difference) And thickness of 22mm vs 20mm. Probably bugger all in it. Would just mean you can use 1mm less of pad material before having to replace pads?

Still not taking into account handbrake drum size or rotor offset?

Can you clarify exactly what can and cannot be swapped?
Old 23-12-2015, 08:15 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Hey Steve. When it was setup in your old car, can you recal if (or would you expect) it was able to lock the wheels if you pulled it while rolling along at say 50kmh in a straight line? I know thats not a typical use for a hydro. But im wondering if it is infact working fine, and i am simply expecting it to do what it can never be able to do? As said. I have not tried to do an actiual handbrake turn yet, just tested it a couple of goes in a straight line on the road.
Good question mate...like Dougie, I tend to use it as the car is turning in. I never actually used the one on Graham's car (my new car) so my only experience is from the long handle one from my old car (now in the new car).....which is set up on AP brakes...though the one you bought from me was set up on Brembos and according to Graham, worked fine. I can't really remember trying mine in a straight line....so yours may in fact be OK like you say...maybe try it when turning in. Do you have a brake bias adjuster in line?
Old 23-12-2015, 08:21 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Also, Dean's tarmac car has a similar handbrake/AP setup to mine...I went out with him for a couple of laps at RAC a few weeks ago...as we turned into the loop before the main straight he would give the handbrake a quick yank to set up the car sideways, then drift all the way around the loop...good fun!
RUSSGT likes this.
Old 23-12-2015, 09:10 AM
STI Master

amtrapid knows their stuff

38.18 for Subaru 2pots 36mm for brembos in piston diameter. I had a set of each handy to measure. V5 2pot rears and GD STI rear 2pot brembos

Obviously I haven't removed the seals but you have the correct piston diameters listed below . The Brembo has a smaller piston but larger pad surface area . The nissan 2 pot rears that he is referring to are the same Suitomo rears used on the Subarus they are identical , one just has Nissan on it instead of Subaru . All the factory Brembo rears are smaller then the Suitomo 2 pots they only get larger when using their motorsport kits.

Sent from under my Dok Dok

Last edited by amtrapid; 23-12-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 23-12-2015, 11:22 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
Good question mate...like Dougie, I tend to use it as the car is turning in. I never actually used the one on Graham's car (my new car) so my only experience is from the long handle one from my old car (now in the new car).....which is set up on AP brakes...though the one you bought from me was set up on Brembos and according to Graham, worked fine. I can't really remember trying mine in a straight line....so yours may in fact be OK like you say...maybe try it when turning in. Do you have a brake bias adjuster in line?
No. I dont have an aftermarket bias adjuster. The only thing i have is the standard subaru GDB STi proporting valve. (As seen in the pictures above.) As far as im aware, this limits the maximum pressure to the rear brakes. The idea is you never want the rear brakes to lock on a road car. I dont see how it can have any bearing on the front pressure. It is solely plumbed into the rear circuits.

Tags
sled, yeti