Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Apexi Power FC Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Sir AntiLag

Foxymophandlmama at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Foxymophandlmama

Yeh he is but he's not keen on pfc's at all .... lol loved the face i got when i told him i was gonna put one in haha

Not speeding Officer........Qualifying.
Old 23-02-2010, 11:05 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Neil-e-o at standard level

Wow....thanks alot for all the useful feedback. Didint expect such a huge response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPLICIT View Post
On the original topic, PFC will do what you want it to do. Im sure if you search there's some feedback on what resolution the pfc/motec/autronic/vipec/link/verso/ecutek ecu/flash options will provide.

Sounds like (i.e. assumption) your 'tuner' would prefer to use motec as that is a staple of the Flood workshop, and if you're confident with what your engine builder does and would like them to provide the complete drive in drive out service, it might be worth considering.

You won't make any more power though.
That pretty much sums it all up and will most likely be what Ill be doing....once again cheers all.
Old 26-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Sir AntiLag

PROTOTYPE at standard level
Send a message via MSN to PROTOTYPE

Couple of small points.... if the factory ecu on the car works, drive it to perth, take it to ASG, get them to fit it and sort it all in one go, then if there are any probs or something isn't right, it can't be blamed on you for f**king it up while fitting it.

Also, just for reference Rossco the reason not to solder anything that is ECU related and especially signal wire related is that over time due to the vibration and heat changes within a vehicle, solder becomes dry and cracks and can cause a break in the connection causing epic fails, using crimped lugs or connectors is the best rule of thumb to ensure a long lasting connection. This can be read in the MoTeC installation guide which I went through when doing MoTeC training a few years back with Sean at ASG.

At the end of the day its your choice which way you go and what you do, but think of the $$$'s that can become huge if you swap ecu and drive down, road tune it just to get it down here, or have a soldered signal wire for your cam/crank (most important signal wires in your loom) crack and lose its connection.

My 50c worth for the morning

enjoy kids

Powered by COSWORTH...
Sponsored by PROTOTYPE CONSULTING, ALLSTAR, NO LIMIT EVENTS
Old 26-02-2010, 04:32 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Rob I don't disagree, But I'm not talking about soldering into the ecu harness plugs themselves (which can cause corrosion issues inside the ecu or on the connector pins) but splicing 2 signal wires a couple of inches before the ecu.

Solder makes a fine electrical joint provided it is done correctly i.e. heat the pieces up sufficiently, apply the solder to the items being joined not to the iron and do not allow the joint to move until it has cooled. Using the correct solder is important too (proper 63/37 & not dick smith 60/40 crap). Ideally solder joints should always be mechanically supported. Heat shrink over the joint helps to take some strain off the solder joint itself, don't tape it.

The Motec installation manual says:
"Wire Splicing
Preferably use a crimp splice. If soldering a wire splice, wire movement near the joint should be avoided otherwise a fracture may occur at the stress point created by the solder. Use heatshrink sleeving to insulate and provide support to the wires."

If you are not willing or able to use the correct type of crimp & tool, which can be expensive, it is probably better to solder the joint.

Solder isn't as unreliable as you are making out, if it were so our ecu's , instrument clusters, stereos & climate controls would be failing often......They use thousands of soldered components and are exposed to significant temperature changes daily.

It's also worth noting that the signal output from the cas & cam sensors will rise from as low as 2 to 3 Volts when cranking, to over 50 Volts at higher engine speeds.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Last edited by Rossco; 26-02-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 26-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

+1 for solder...

(And this is coming from the Electronic Tech in a marine environment - where a 110m 'floating machine of death' , is subject to a lot more stresses/vibration than a car would ever see).

For my BCS and WB sensors, Motec supplies the pins like Stace posted, yet I soldered, just to be sure. I guess it all depends on your ability and experience...

Brent.

P.S - Neil - PFC will be fine. Rob... Burnout!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-02-2010, 09:37 AM