Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

define budget
Old 18-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

glen93 at standard level

hmm, lets say, a single 12" or two 12" subs, depending on cost, and if a single will be plenty

If a single 12" sub is going to be fine, then i guess there is no point in me throwing more money at a second sub, when it could go toward my speakers. but if 2 subs are going to be dramatically better, then i guess its well worth looking into in regards to cost

i know i can get the 1400W Peak JVC sub without a box for $95, and a 500W RMS at 2 ohm JVC Monoblock to power it for about $180 - $190. But im not sure if this is what i should be looking at?
Old 18-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Flat Four Father

What you should be looking at is whatever fits your budget dude. At that level though, anything you buy is going to be same/same. I know nothing about that lower end of the market in regards to subs and amps though.

Just make sure if you get a 2ohm sub, that whatever amplifier you buy is capable of driving a 2ohm load.
Old 18-02-2013, 10:59 AM

glen93 at standard level

Thanks mate, been very very helpful
Old 18-02-2013, 03:58 PM

glen93 at standard level

Went to my local audio shop and decided, if i can get a dual 12" ported sub box to fit well (which, heres to hoping!)

Then i will probably get 2 x JVC 250W RMS subs and a JVC 400W RMS @ 2ohm Monoblock.

Wired in 2 ohm, should have the right thump that im after
Subs are $70 each and the mono is $140
Old 18-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Flat Four Father

Each sub will still only see 200w... I'd think about a single 12 with 400w going to it personally. Also think, ported or sealed... the prefab ported boxes you get at that price won't be tuned to the sub(s) you're going to throw in them. Basically it'll sound horrendous and wouldn't be surprised if you'd be disappointed with the output. What music do you listen to mostly?

Music with punchy bass, or low bass?
Old 18-02-2013, 04:28 PM

glen93 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
Each sub will still only see 200w... I'd think about a single 12 with 400w going to it personally. Also think, ported or sealed... the prefab ported boxes you get at that price won't be tuned to the sub(s) you're going to throw in them. Basically it'll sound horrendous and wouldn't be surprised if you'd be disappointed with the output. What music do you listen to mostly?

Music with punchy bass, or low bass?
i wasnt sure if having 2 subs would directly split the power in half, but if so, for an extra $50 or so, they have a 500W RMS @ 2ohm JVC amp Could go that?

Going to definitely get a ported box, was told between $150 - $200 depending on quality of box so, that will be an extra cost, as will install and wire kit

I listen to anything from metal, new stuff, to dubstep punchy and good lows would be nice :P
Old 18-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Ported means any frequency below the port resonance frequency is shelved. If it was me I'd be running sealed enclosures utilising a 2 ohm subs and two amps with 400W into each sub.

Always over amp. You'll hear over excursion of a sub but unlikely to hear clipping.

Currently running 384W (birth sheet measurement) into a 30W OEM 8" sub - no problems.
Old 19-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Flat Four Father

Like GTB suggested I'd be looking at a simple sealed enclosure though I dare say 2 subs and 2 amps would be a bit over your budget. $150-$200 for a ported box is very cheap and I really doubt it will be built specifically for the sub you have in mind. Not at that price. To get any real benefit from a ported box you really want it built to suit the "thiele small specs" of whatever subwoofer you choose, and designed with software such as BassBox Pro.

If you must go vented/ported I would look at a sub+box combo. Chances are the enclosure will be a little closer to being suitable for the sub than buying a sub and getting a cheap box made. Considerable hours and effort goes into getting the tune right in a ported enclosure and I just can't see it being done for $200.

For a beginner/first system, this actually goes alright and is very affordable - Pioneer 1400 Watt 12" Sub In Box - Subwoofer - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices!

Full review - Mobile Electronics AU | Pioneer 308D4SB 12” Subwoofer System

I can't see this being any worse than a $70 sub and a $200 box.

A bit more $'s - Alpine 12" 1500 Watt Sub - Subwoofer - JB Hi-Fi - Smashing Prices!
Not bad value considering Type-R subs are $400 alone. I had one before my current sub and they go hard with a decent amount of power. There is a Type-S version of that combo according to the Alpine website and is only $299. I guess you'd need to track down an Alpine agent to order one.

Last edited by TROLLEY; 19-02-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 19-02-2013, 09:35 AM

glen93 at standard level

Thanks heaps bud! Will look into a sub + box combo, i believe you would be right! These boxes are just universal dual boxes, so, id say youre 100% correct

Tags
2004, audio, sizes, speaker, suggestions, wrx