Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Cosmetic
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

glen93 at standard level
Default 2004 WRX Speaker Sizes and Audio Suggestions

Hey guys, Was just wondering what speaker sizes are in the 2004 WRX?

I have done a little research to find both fron and back are 6" speakers?
Any confirmation would be great

Do most brand-Tweeters fit fine in the tweeter section of the door?

Any suggestions on good speaker brands to go for would be very helpful. Was thinking about Alpine Type-R's or any brand equivalent. Would like to run a 4 channel amp as well.

Cheers for any help, information or suggestions
Glen
Old 07-02-2013, 01:55 PM

CM_92 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen93 View Post
Hey guys, Was just wondering what speaker sizes are in the 2004 WRX?

I have done a little research to find both fron and back are 6" speakers?
Any confirmation would be great

Do most brand-Tweeters fit fine in the tweeter section of the door?

Any suggestions on good speaker brands to go for would be very helpful. Was thinking about Alpine Type-R's or any brand equivalent. Would like to run a 4 channel amp as well.

Cheers for any help, information or suggestions
Glen
I've got a 06, pretty sure they are the same. So 6".

I've got Alpine Type-R SC60c (i think) they are 6" and the tweeters fit in the door panel where the latch is. A good set of speakers should come with the tweeters (at least mine did).

Def recommend the Alpine stuff, sound great, I;ve had other brands and nothing really compares to the quality.

I'm running a 1200w 4 channel amp with a mono for the sub, plenty of power to do the job. I rarely drive with the music loud.

Thats my 2c, Good luck...

One bit of advice tho, don't cheap out on the deck, as that is the heart of the system and you'll be using it every day!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

As said, you will need a decent deck. Don't skimp on it.

Alpine IMO isn't worth the price for the sound they produce.

Budget depending, get some high end Focal or JL Audio splits for the front, and leave the rears.

2CH amp for the fronts, or cheap rears and 4CH amp.

Most aftermarket tweeters will fit the OEM space with the OEM bracket, but may need modification.

100% sure that the rears are 5.25' speakers for the 2004 WRX.

Good Luck
Old 07-02-2013, 04:12 PM

glen93 at standard level

Thanks heaps guys
How come its suggested to leave the rears? Because you dont really hear them in the WRX? Could a pair of focal speakers at the same price of Alpine sound better? I've seen JL Audio speakers for over $600 a pair before :P

The alpine Type R stuff doesnt seem too expensive, especially for the 110w RMS figure, its the alpine amp that goes with it that costs a whole lot!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Thanks heaps guys
How come its suggested to leave the rears? Because you dont really hear them in the WRX? Could a pair of focal speakers at the same price of Alpine sound better? I've seen JL Audio speakers for over $600 a pair before :P

The alpine Type R stuff doesnt seem too expensive, especially for the 110w RMS figure, its the alpine amp that goes with it that costs a whole lot!

As you said, you don't really hear them, depending on how often you have passengers in the car, they can be left stock or upgraded and ran off an amp.

JL are up there, Focal components can be had off ebay for $400 for a set, and upwards of $800 for competition series stuff.

Type R are pretty decent, go into JB HI FI and have a listen to them, see what you think. IMO they don't do it for me.....

Yes, haha. Amp's are one of the most expensive parts especially for one that pumps out decent wattage for subs.

PDX FTW

best of luck!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:51 PM
STI Master

Tiigga at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Allan View Post
100% sure that the rears are 5.25' speakers for the 2004 WRX.

Good Luck
My speakers are Front are 6' and Rears are 5.25' in my 05 wagon when i replaced the factory paper cone speakers
But if doing the front's you will need a spacer to stop the window hitting the magnet when the window is fully wound down ... Or purchase narrow coned speakers for the front
Brett Allan likes this.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Subaru Tech Division

This^^^

Meant to add, try to get speakers with shallow mounting depths, you will struggle with both back and front to fit them unless you have spacers....

for a set of two 6" spacers from ebay - $15 posted
Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 AM

glen93 at standard level

do the spacers bring the speakers away from the door, and closer to the inside of the car? Would factory speaker covers still fit fine?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Rear speakers are shit because they drag your sound stage backwards. You want the sound to come in front of you, not from behind you (fuck passengers, if you have a halfway decent system they'll hear it clearly in front of them anyhow). Ideally you want the sound stage to be at the front of the car, with vocals centred over the middle of your dash (slightly to your left). Rear speakers will fuck that shit up.

To achieve a nice, centred sound stage you will need a decent head unit that has a "time correction" feature. The best two picks are:

Alpine Electronics of Australia

DEH-80PRS TEAM Pioneer DEH-80PRS Reference Series CD Tuner (2012 Model) - Pioneer Car Stereo - Digital Media Receiver

Not cheap, but very much worth basing a system around.

Forget about the wattage rating on speakers. It's mostly meaningless. The speaker doesn't make the power... you can feed a 80w rated driver 150w if you like. You just need to ensure your gains are set accordingly and that you don't send a clipped (distorted) signal to the speaker.

As for brands, it's really up to your ears. Audition, audition, audition. Go to every shop you can and listen to Alpine, Focal, Pioneer, Hertz, Audison, Rockford Fosgate, etc. I am biased towards Focal because my ears like their sound. You may prefer Type-Rs over the equivalent priced Focals (though I'd be shocked if you did :P ). You may like Hertz, which are great value for money all through their range. At the end of the day, it's your ears that are the boss of decision making.

edit: I was going to say that you're welcome to audition my system if you like but you're in Albany, lol
Soksta, Brett Allan, CM_92 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by TROLLEY; 08-02-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:21 PM
STI Master

Tiigga at standard level

Quote:
do the spacers bring the speakers away from the door, and closer to the inside of the car? Would factory speaker covers still fit fine?

Yes spacers take the speakers away from the door and closer to inside of car.. You should only need them if the new speaker is a deep cone.. the deep cone hinder the window from winding down fully and window hitting the cone
The factory speaker covers are part of the door card.. well on my wagon they are unless some one has a done a hatchet job with aftermarket speakers

Last edited by Tiigga; 08-02-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Tags
2004, audio, sizes, speaker, suggestions, wrx