Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Vendors and Sponsors > Evolution R
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

i think what mao is trying to say is that 3GWRX should have dyno tuned it and check it with the HKS Knock Sensor and not rely on road tune.

I'm assuming its on the verge of pinging

Road tuning is fine if the AFR (wideband Lambda sensor is used in combo) is checked
Old 16-12-2011, 11:14 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

stoff at standard level

From what i can gather jon911 never had a tune from 3gwrx. He had the asg tune in when he got it retuned. So why the hate?
Old 16-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Some info on Jon's tune can be seen at:
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-dri...tml#post636878

Will post more details up shortly.
Old 17-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

STI325V6 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Ummmm, what has 3gwrx got to do with your tunes? Why are you even mentioning them?
Why are you going on about it!!
Old 17-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
From what i can gather jon911 never had a tune from 3gwrx. He had the asg tune in when he got it retuned. So why the hate?
http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/636610-post44.html
Old 17-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Look at the AFR 11.2. The accuracy in holding it at 11.2 all the way. Road tune my arse. He used my so called stock tune and richened it abit on low rpms which shouldnt be the case (knock on low loads or rpm is harmless and should be used to conserve fuel). He then kept my 'stock tune' at 11.2 all the way --- LOL, if it was stock ecu tune, why keep it at 11.2 AFR?

Also he obviously was trashing the car in 3rd to generate this Virtual graph with a result of 500Nm of torque. Wow 500Nm!!! Can you actually see any discrepancies in the tune when you are using a smoothing factor on the virtual dyno --- answer is no, if there was a quick miss or knock, you won't know.

He is lucky he didnt blow the car up while tuning as I had the AFRs spot on at 11.2, let alone 1.22 bar of boost on stock internals. Why bother buying an STi if a WRX can drive reliably at 1.22 bar of boost.

He also claims that the boost was not altered in anyway, yet he didnt know that after we fitted the Invidia dump, Perrin headers and PW top mount kindly supplied by Ken, the car overboosted on the dyno above one bar. So the car mysteriously lowered it's boost then.

If you look at power chart or should I say 'VIRTUAL' power chart, he assumes or states the tune in red is mine and yet the other two are done on rolling starts while the red one which apparently is mine is done from standstill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI325V6 View Post
Why are you going on about it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
Old 17-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

iceken at standard level

The virtual chart that i posted, all 3 lines were done on rolling start.
We did a rolling start of your tune first, looked at the data, flashed the new tune, did a rolling start for that, tweaked it, then did a last rolling start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mao View Post
If you look at power chart or should I say 'VIRTUAL' power chart, he assumes or states the tune in red is mine and yet the other two are done on rolling starts while the red one which apparently is mine is done from standstill.
Old 17-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

I for one, appreciate Mao's honesty.
Looks to me like 3gwrx was trying to 'bag' Evo R to his customer in the first instance (i.e 'look at my virtual dyno plot, see the gains I made over that other tune?').

Are virtual dyno's a 'proper' tuning tool? I don't think so, how can you see how the tune behaves WOT in 4th, where the engine sees maximum load over the longest time & has the highest chance of knocking? Simple answer is you can't.

I road tune cars myself, but I err on the side of safety running between high 10 to low 11 afrs at wot & fairly soft timing up top. My tunes may not make the highest possible HP, but I can rest easy knowing they are safe for the long term. Most of the gains I tend to concentrate on are in the midrange RPM's anyway.

I might drop in next week Mao, I'd like you to drive my car & let me know what you think.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 17-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

I pointed this out as the Red line starts from the beginning but the 2 other lines are obviously rolling as the logging was done after. The starting conditions on the 'virtual dyno' is not the same.

If the AFR was out on my tune, why was the same AFR used from 3000rpm onwards, while the only adjustments in AFR was below 3000rpm where it was made more rich.

The ROM in the ecu is actually an MY09 with stock boost set at 13.3PSi and not 14.2PSi like the MY10 and MY11 Roms. Standard Rom does not set it to 16PSi.

Below is how your ROM looks like at WOT:

Also, please note that warranty does not apply on work done by non-registered workshops as they do not meet skill certification required by the government.

The list of registered workshops where work is performed to maintain new car warranty and after sales/service warranty is listed below:
Repairer Licensing Report - by business name - Consumer Protection - Department of Commerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceken View Post
The virtual chart that i posted, all 3 lines were done on rolling start.
We did a rolling start of your tune first, looked at the data, flashed the new tune, did a rolling start for that, tweaked it, then did a last rolling start.
Old 18-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Thanks for the input Rossco. Anyone tuner will know that the 11.2 AFR on the log from 3000 to redline at WOT was just too accurate to be achieved through a road tune. And also, there were no changes in the AFR at all from 3000rpm onwards, yet I was accused that the 11.2 was stock ROM, whilall he did was increase the boost to 1.22bar.

I will also post up the boost logs on the Dynapack tmr as Kennedy also told me that 3GWRX said my tune hit 16.3PSi and he only added 1.7PSi to get the 500Nm on his internet dyno.

Anyway how's things? It looks like you have retired from this forum business. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
I for one, appreciate Mao's honesty.
Looks to me like 3gwrx was trying to 'bag' Evo R to his customer in the first instance (i.e 'look at my virtual dyno plot, see the gains I made over that other tune?').

Are virtual dyno's a 'proper' tuning tool? I don't think so, how can you see how the tune behaves WOT in 4th, where the engine sees maximum load over the longest time & has the highest chance of knocking? Simple answer is you can't.

I road tune cars myself, but I err on the side of safety running between high 10 to low 11 afrs at wot & fairly soft timing up top. My tunes may not make the highest possible HP, but I can rest easy knowing they are safe for the long term. Most of the gains I tend to concentrate on are in the midrange RPM's anyway.

I might drop in next week Mao, I'd like you to drive my car & let me know what you think.

Tags
a$80, a$poa, dyna, dynapack, dyno, ecu, i never liked my ringlands anyway, mao forum pms only no posts please, power, pwrx, runs, service, tuning