Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Chris260 at standard level

Before the introduction of transmission synchronizers (in the 1920s) and helical cut gears, double clutching was a technique required to prevent damage to an automobile's gear system. Due to the difficulty involved in learning the technique, and because of the advent of synchronized gearing systems, it has largely fallen into disuse. However, drivers of large trucks still use the double clutching technique, as those vehicles are usually equipped with older, more efficient and more durable, unsynchronized gearboxes.

The purpose of the double-clutch technique is to match the rotational speed of the input shaft being driven by the engine to the rotational speed of the gear you wish to select (directly connected to rotating wheels). Once the speeds are matched, the gear will engage smoothly. If the speeds are not matched, the dog teeth on the collar will "crash" or grate as they attempt to fit into the holes on the desired gear. A modern synchromesh gearbox accomplishes this synchronization automatically.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
STI Master

Riggs at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris260
Riggs, I guess you are talking about a racing situation, that means that there will be many variables to consider, your braking will depend on what the car in front of you is doing and what line you choose for that corner.

The majority of the people that will be reading this will not be racers, just guys and gals that hit the track now and then. Mainly time attack driving.

My method works for me at Wanneroo long or short track and Collie. It may not work for everyone's car as gear ratios are different and of course if the driver is not happy with that style it will never work.

I may be wrong but this is the advice I would give a beginner that is just starting at the track before I try to try to teach them the heel and toe method.
Yes deffinatley a racing situation however there are many more variables on the road than in a race situation, Track days there a very few Comparatively.

Road, circut, or racetrack I always drive the car with the same technique (not speed or aggresiveness).

But meh each to their own.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

I normally always double clutch, and when it calls for it heel toe, as it does make changes down smoother, keep a more balanced car, means i can go into first at up to about 50 km/hr smoothly and without any gear damage . When coming into a high speed corner, i usually will stay in what ever gear im in untill i reach my corner speed then change down to what ever gear is appropriate.

On the street i always try to practice it, though obviously without speeding, just driving normally. I dont bother double clutching on upshifts. just let it fall in, and do the clutch as quick as possible, sometimes without

Last edited by WhiteRX; 10-11-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

I use to double clutch in the holinger (non synchro/dogbox) when in street duties, altho, once competent with the gearset it was very possible to 'time' the shifts and allow for the rev speed to match the gear speed on up and down shift, further enhancement of the technique required no clutch at all cept for stationary approach and departure.

Normal synchro box, rev match and heel toe all the time, very efficient form of driving, less stress on the box and driveline, but isnt so flash for fuel economy
Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 PM
STI Master

Riggs at standard level

Never driven a car with a dog box, yet. However I have driven a Centurion tank, that had what they called a "crash box" esentially a dox box just everything was way bigger and had more resistance. Had to double clutch on down shifts and double clutch and pull one of the steering levers on the upshift, very hard to get it right.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:33 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Lorry at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs
Never driven a car with a dog box, yet. However I have driven a Centurion tank, that had what they called a "crash box" esentially a dox box just everything was way bigger and had more resistance. Had to double clutch on down shifts and double clutch and pull one of the steering levers on the upshift, very hard to get it right.
You win . I find myself heel-toeing all the time too, just makes it easier for the gears to go in.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 PM
STI Master

SilentKilla at standard level

I always heel-toe/rev-match nowdays, practice makes perfect

It makes for a smoother drive so why not.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM
STI Master

Riggs at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorry
You win . I find myself heel-toeing all the time too, just makes it easier for the gears to go in.
It was deffinatley the best fun I've ever had under 60Km/h (and possibly over ) all 52 tonnes of it!!!!

Last edited by Riggs; 10-11-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Mister Two at standard level

I cant heel and toe. My knee hits the steering wheel. Damn being tall! But I can still rev match
Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM
STI Master

Evidencee at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Evidencee

Tried heel toeing but tend to press the brake too hard when trying to get my heel to tap the throttle, resulting in my car throwing me forward.
I just give it a little rev when i got the clutch depressed on downshifting to match the revs, seems to make gearchanging more smooth.

Tags
clutching, double