Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-02-2008, 09:54 AM
STI Master

gorotsuki69 at standard level

what's the resale value like?
Old 19-02-2008, 09:56 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

SiriX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to SiriX

Heheh, i had to bite on this thread... being a previous 06 WRX owner, my previous car had a few mods under the bonnet, TD05-20G, Verso, Gate, TBE, TMIC, etc... and was producing somewhere in the vicinity of around 280HP @ Wheels with a very safe tune, actually had been tuned at 310HP but the gate was being a bit sad so we stepped to back to where it was safe..

Anyways, going from that, to the VE SS-V Ute that i've got now (pictures below) was a fairly large change... but i will say this, yes it's a heavier car ~1700kg ... but that's not *that* much more than the 06's which weigh in somewhere near ~1500kg and it handles very very well for a lot longer car, and then i put Tein coil-overs in... gotta say, that plus the traction control system in them... makes it *very* hard to fuck up and a lot of fun! even with TCS off it's still very controllable and even more fun heheh the power as people have said, it's not as harsh as a boosted car, a lot more linear and there from way down low, and the amount of torque these things produce is very impressive... like, you can take off from standstill in 4th without it stalling lol (not that i do, but i have tried just to see what happens)

Interior wise, i think they're miles ahead of the VZ and prior models, everything feels at least decent quality, the hand break yes it is weird, but you get used to it, and as far as features it's got more than the rex had

Currently my car's fairly stock in the engine department, only got a Cat-Back dual 2.5" system with only the rear mufflers and quad 3" tips but i will eventualy do a CAI setup and probably extractors/cats and a tune after that, and that alone is netting people up near the 270rwkw which imho is a fair bit of power... then you go put a supercharger on it and get into the ~400rwkw which is just mental lol!

Here's a couple pics...

Anyways,

Cheers,

SiriX
Old 19-02-2008, 10:00 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyper
Hot car, but good luck trying to run a 6L reasonably cheaply nowadays. 2.5L seems to make more sense in that regard.
Actually its nowhere as bad as one might think. My VZ Maloo R8 had the 6L. Due to its effortless low down torque, it would comfortably cruise sub 2k most of the time. Was great on fuel. Put your boot into it, different story but from an A - B aspect i was very surpised.
Old 19-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

waxdass at standard level
Send a message via MSN to waxdass

Old 19-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Subaru Tech Division

EVL WRX at standard level

a 'friend' of mine and his mate slayed a zorst'd 6lt GTS not too long ago in a zorst and verso'd evo IX on a roll on with the GTS having a bit of a run up start.... on a track of course...

Nice cars, and i'd prolly own one for shits and giggles, but still lots of weight to lug around even with the LS2 power...

Last edited by EVL WRX; 19-02-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 19-02-2008, 10:43 AM
STI Master

gorotsuki69 at standard level

[QUOTE=EVL WRX]a 'friend' of mine and his mate slayed a zorst'd 6lt GTS not too long ago in a zorst and verso'd evo IX on a roll on with the GTS having a bit of a run up start.... on a track of course...

QUOTE]

pissing contest begins...
Old 19-02-2008, 10:51 AM

BALISTC knows their stuff

The new VE SS's respond extremely well to modifications...reportedly the L98's (basically an L76 with intake manifold changes and a few other minor changes) respond better to mods than the LS2s.

This comes down to the fact that the cylinder heads flow extremely well for a stock motor.

GM Motorsport (Eastern states workshop) have done a range of mods to their VE SS sedan.

Stock, it ran a 13.40 @ 103mph.

high-flow airbox, short shifter and reflash, 12.90 @ 109mph (stock exhaust!)

Add exhaust, CAI, plus a set of slicks and 3.7 diff gears, 11.80 @ 118mph. At this point, a HD clutch was added as the stock one was suffering.

Adding a camshaft (no head swap required as the stock heads flow really well), got them an 11.18 @ 124mph!!

I'd imagine a bigger cam and possibly some further head work would net them a 10 second pass on the stock bottom end and transmission.

Tune was tweaked along the way of course, but hows that for basic mods? They pick up 30kw at the wheels just from airbox and reflash, with stock exhaust. Add CAI and exhaust, another 40kw at the wheels.

My dad just picked up his VE SS-V ute, its awesome fun and has piles of power/torque. I'm trying to talk him into a reflash and CAI, with stock exhaust. Will make a quick beast with hopefully better fuel economy than standard due to the optimised tune

Last edited by BALISTC; 19-02-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 19-02-2008, 11:21 AM
STI Master

[BANNED] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [BANNED]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME
Actually its nowhere as bad as one might think. My VZ Maloo R8 had the 6L. Due to its effortless low down torque, it would comfortably cruise sub 2k most of the time. Was great on fuel. Put your boot into it, different story but from an A - B aspect i was very surpised.
Same goes for the STi too though - don't think an STi of any description is an economical car because it's not.

My STi - when pushed.... has utterly shithouse fuel economy. As would a LS1/LS2.

It was worse when it was stock! 350kms to a tank tops.

TDi technology has got me curious though - huge torque with half the consumption.... gotta be a winner!
Old 19-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Scoobie Noobie

XER555 at standard level

I'm another that made the change (but from WRX to SSV) and agree with others that it is definitely 'horses for courses'.

Th VE is definitely a more relaxed drive and wasn't purchased with track days in mind But if you are looking for a big boofa that cruises easily, some grunt under the right foot (and scope for plenty more!) and prefer WAW over MC then, why not?

Having said that, I still check out every WRX that goes past and wonder......

Quote:
My dad just picked up his VE SS-V ute, its awesome fun and has piles of power/torque. I'm trying to talk him into a reflash and CAI, with stock exhaust. Will make a quick beast with hopefully better fuel economy than standard due to the optimised tune
Joe, I got told by one tuner that you need a full twin 3" to make any power with the VE. Reckoned only 2-3kw using std exhaust as it is way too restrictive.

Anyway, another shot of a VE.
[IMG][/IMG]
Lift kit has been removed since this photo was taken.
Old 19-02-2008, 01:48 PM

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by XER555
Joe, I got told by one tuner that you need a full twin 3" to make any power with the VE. Reckoned only 2-3kw using std exhaust as it is way too restrictive.
This is how GM Motorsport went with their "Project Redback" VE SS sedan, on their Mainline dyno..

Dyno Results:
Stock with Ripshift
217 rwkw

Ripshift, Tune & GMM Airbox
246 rwkw

Ripshift, GMM Custom Cold Air Intake & GMM Custom Maf Tune
252 rwkw

Ripshift, Maf-Tune, GMM OTRCAI, Di Fillippo Exhaust
283 rwkw

Ripshift, Maf-Tune, GMM Custom Camshaft, GMM OTRCAI, Di Fillippo Exhaust
352 rwkw

If I recall, even the LS1's used to gain a bit with a tune only, even with the stock exhaust...but of course if you want to make max power, an exhaust is probably the first thing you'd do

Tags
hsv, series