Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-05-2009, 02:41 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
Decided to bump this thread rather than starting a new one but I have just got off the phone from Dotars.

I applied for an rally import permit in August 2007 because I thought I had a car lined up. I never supplied a vin etc as I did not have that information. It was all approved and I paid my $50. Anyways more out of curiosity than anything I rang to see if it was still current. Turns out it is....

Anyways I asked him if they had tightened up the rules on importing rally reg cars etc and he said no. He said what they have really tightened up on is when someone sends a car out of the country i.e. a commodore and then imports it back in again. Up until recently they did not have to even apply for an import permit and he was saying people were sending them out and modifying them etc.

So spotydog your application for your rally car should be good assuming you can show some motorsport history.

Food for thought anyways.

Brendon
Cheers Brendon

That is there area I am falling down in - had I have raced the 08 Sti I wouldnt have a warrenty - which has come in handy now I'm on my 3rd engine.

I have been emailed most days this week about my application asking for more info etc which I have supplied.

I have mentioned events i intend to enter and given them a history but there is no serious motorsport in there as this is why I want the car. As Nauli put it to me its the chicken and egg scenario. I want the car to go racing but they want a racing history to let me have the car!

Fingers crossed.

Graham
Old 22-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

If you are planning any form of B-reg or temporary movement permit, make sure you get the latest advice from DPI & CAMS, as they have tightened up on both forms (since April) - getting a B-reg is now much harder than before.

Otherwise, factor the cost of a car trailer into your equations.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 22-05-2009, 02:49 PM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Good to know.
Old 22-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUES
If you are planning any form of B-reg or temporary movement permit, make sure you get the latest advice from DPI & CAMS, as they have tightened up on both forms (since April) - getting a B-reg is now much harder than before.

Reno Marchesi is the guy to talk to at licensing. He is based in the technical section in welshpool. I sent him an email today as he has been telling me for the last 3 years that they are going to bring in a new b reg system. Maybe the tightening up is the first stage.

The only way I can see DPI tightening up is e.g. Graham buys his S202 and drives it down to welshpool straight from the wharf to get b reg'd. My guess is that maybe now they will insist on at least a half cage or maybe race seats / harnesses? They cant insist on log booking from cams because that would not be fair on guys like autocross etc who dont need the car log booked.

I have no problems with them tightening up the system because I will never forget once when I was in the old race torque and there was a series 6/7/8 RX7 in there with a canary. Anyway turns out guy had bought the car into the country legally as a b reg taken out the bolt in half cage and promptly sold it as a road going car. Some young kid bought it thinking it was full 'a' reg, got pulled over by mr plod and suddenly realised that the car that he has paid good money for is worth a lot less and he then had to go and buy a 'normal' car to get around in.

There was talk that there would be specific plates for b reg cars similar to what SA have. i.e. the rego plate is RP - 435 underneath it says rally permit only. Instantly identifies that car to all and sundry. Seems a great idea.

Cheers

Brendon

Last edited by urabus; 22-05-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 22-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:

Hope they still let me get my 12 month permits.....

Brendon
Old 22-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

They may not.
Collie - 50.77
Old 22-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Copied & pasted (& edited) from another forum:

"Tech section in welshpool used to issue permits based on the ones they give to visiting rally cars etc but they have been told not to as of the 17th of april this year.

Tech section referred me to either CityWest or Joondalup DPI to get a 48 hour event permit. after time on the phone I went down to CityWest DPI and wasted an hour there, they went through all their files and had about 5 people scratching there heads, rang the tech section and spoke to the guy that I did.... turns out they can not issue the 48 hour movement permits for Events as the insurrer (HIC they mentioned) will not provide the 3rd Party Public Liability Insurance coverage for permits for this reason.

Anyway Plan B was ... B-Reg. So i looked up the Tarmac Rally regulations for my car to meet in order to qualify...

The basics are:

Road Legal Vehicle for the Basics (Tyre Tread, Lighting Systems, Exhaust)
CAMS Approved Extinguisher
FIA Approved 5 point harness for driver and passenger
FIA Approved Cage
First Aid Kit (contents specific)
Triangles and safety markers
Labelling on vehicle for battery and tow points

No worries this stuff is easy done.. only thing I was short on was the cage. I located cage kit at GoGear (OMP make kits for evos starting from $1330 ish) that they have in stock walk in and walk out with it. Before I splash out on it ... as its on the eventual list of things to grab but not first I better go to the source.

Spoke to Shane Williams who is the only CAMS scrutineering in WA who can approve for B-reg... he advised that no road car will be approved under the current system due to previous abuse of the system. Only tarmac cars that MAY pass through would have to have proven event history (only event in WA that meets the criteria is the open class of Targa West) and the driver would need a CAMS L3 or rally licence."
Collie - 50.77
Old 22-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Copied & pasted (& edited) from another forum:

Spoke to Shane Williams who is the only CAMS scrutineering in WA who can approve for B-reg... he advised that no road car will be approved under the current system due to previous abuse of the system. Only tarmac cars that MAY pass through would have to have proven event history (only event in WA that meets the criteria is the open class of Targa West) and the driver would need a CAMS L3 or rally licence."

This could finally mean happy times......and my old license plates back.....yay...

Brendon
Old 23-05-2009, 04:13 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

OK

If I can't B reg it then the plan changes quite a bit. I will make some enquiries on the B-reg issues but:

I need some advice on a possible change in tack if B-reg is out.

If I buy an S202 in Japan and have it cut in half and shipped here does that get me away from import duties and GST - I imagine customs still applies and obviously freight. What $ would people expect to pay for this?

There is a car over east that might be a potential donor. I need to know:

A. If the car is unregistered over east (but not a write off) can I bring it here and register it no probs or does it need to be registered over east to be registered here (its not an import). I guess it should be ok?

B. Panel beaters needed - from the photo's below what estimated cost would it be to repair the car given that most the parts would be on the Japanese car I import - I can do the stripping of the car. Plus paint job would need to be factored in.

C. What value if any would there be in the donor wrx's bits? Air bags are gone but engine/gearbox may be ok. How hard would it be to get rid of said bits?

My thinking is that if I save on GST and import duty and this saving equates to the cost of buying and repairing the donor car (and any recovery from sale of Motor/gearbox etc) then this could be an option - obviously lots of my time in swapping bits would be incurred.

Old 23-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level

Why would you pay the extra for a crashed WRX?

Find a GX. Its all same underneath.

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt

Tags
classic, s202