Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-05-2009, 04:20 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BN01
Why would you pay the extra for a crashed WRX?

Find a GX. Its all same underneath.

That car is $8K

havent found a damaged/cheap GX yet - figured WRX would have some bits I could sell and recover some of the outlay on. Been looking at undamaged cars too.

Found a $13K wrx which is same colour as S202 I want - depends on what the value of the engine etc is as to whether its worthwhile and what the panel and paint costs would be.
Old 23-05-2009, 04:27 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

inrextc at standard level

When I got my GC8 "B" registered in 2007 it had to be log booked and have an inspection done by Shane Williams.......Not sure if it's still the same.
Old 23-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/find...rm=view_detail

This could go cheap. New front and she is ready to gut and rebuild.
Old 23-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotydog
OK

If I can't B reg it then the plan changes quite a bit. I will make some enquiries on the B-reg issues but:

I need some advice on a possible change in tack if B-reg is out.

If I buy an S202 in Japan and have it cut in half and shipped here does that get me away from import duties and GST - I imagine customs still applies and obviously freight. What $ would people expect to pay for this?

There is a car over east that might be a potential donor. I need to know:

A. If the car is unregistered over east (but not a write off) can I bring it here and register it no probs or does it need to be registered over east to be registered here (its not an import). I guess it should be ok?

B. Panel beaters needed - from the photo's below what estimated cost would it be to repair the car given that most the parts would be on the Japanese car I import - I can do the stripping of the car. Plus paint job would need to be factored in.

C. What value if any would there be in the donor wrx's bits? Air bags are gone but engine/gearbox may be ok. How hard would it be to get rid of said bits?

My thinking is that if I save on GST and import duty and this saving equates to the cost of buying and repairing the donor car (and any recovery from sale of Motor/gearbox etc) then this could be an option - obviously lots of my time in swapping bits would be incurred.
There are a few ways you can do this.

Customs duty is 10 percent of what you alledgedly paid for the car. i.e. if you have a straight car they will want the invoice and hence you will pay 10% of whatever you paid. If you buy a straight car and then cut it in half you can get away with a lot of the customs as you are only buying half a car etc. I dont think the customs guys know much difference between the different sti's / wrx's. Then you have to pay freight. I remember when you could send a 20 footer nearly anywhere in the world for $3k. I figure it would probably cost about that to send the car over. Remembering.....if it is straight it is drive on drive off and you dont need a sea container and hence will be much cheaper. If you get the car cut up you need to pay someone to cut it. Pay someone to dispose of the rear end and then pay for a whole heap of air to be freighted in a sea container. Then on top of everything you have to pay GST. Personally I think it would be easier to cop the extra duty and bring the car in whole. Also makes it a lot easier when it is here.

When the car is here there are three ways you can go about getting it registered. The first is do the whole cage and b reg thing. To do this properly you need to budget an absolute minimum of $10k. The second is to do the legitimate thing that e.g. Jamie is doing and buy the donor and genuinely swap everything over......however.....if you bring in a straight car you buy a repairable write off and just change the firewall out of the wreck and into your straight car. There are plenty of panel beaters around town who will oblige. In my opinion the extra duty you will have paid will be well and truly offset by the cheaper panel work and also if you go to a wrecker and say all you want is the firewall there will be plenty who will help you out..... Dont expect to have to pay anything like $8k for a donor if all you want is the firewall. This will also alleviate the issues of having randoms come around your house and try and huck you $100 on the gearbox you are trying to sell out of the wreck.

Depending which panel beaters you go to dont expect any change out of $10k to fully change the colour of a car (inside and out) a few new panels, and replace one of the chassis rails. Hence you might be better off to find a straigh my02 rs for about $12k and use that as the donor.

In terms of the donor vehicle you could probably expect (assuming everything was working) around $1500 for the gearbox. $1500 for the engine / turbo. $500 for the interior and about $300 for the rear diff. $150 per door / window. Might get a bit extra for things like the hubs / rims / driveshafts etc.

Hope this helps.

Brendon

Last edited by urabus; 23-05-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 23-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

great advice!

Long live the WRC
Old 23-05-2009, 09:06 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level

Thanks Brendon

Will need to weigh up these new options.

B - reg is looking too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
There are a few ways you can do this.

Customs duty is 10 percent of what you alledgedly paid for the car. i.e. if you have a straight car they will want the invoice and hence you will pay 10% of whatever you paid. If you buy a straight car and then cut it in half you can get away with a lot of the customs as you are only buying half a car etc. I dont think the customs guys know much difference between the different sti's / wrx's. Then you have to pay freight. I remember when you could send a 20 footer nearly anywhere in the world for $3k. I figure it would probably cost about that to send the car over. Remembering.....if it is straight it is drive on drive off and you dont need a sea container and hence will be much cheaper. If you get the car cut up you need to pay someone to cut it. Pay someone to dispose of the rear end and then pay for a whole heap of air to be freighted in a sea container. Then on top of everything you have to pay GST. Personally I think it would be easier to cop the extra duty and bring the car in whole. Also makes it a lot easier when it is here.

When the car is here there are three ways you can go about getting it registered. The first is do the whole cage and b reg thing. To do this properly you need to budget an absolute minimum of $10k. The second is to do the legitimate thing that e.g. Jamie is doing and buy the donor and genuinely swap everything over......however.....if you bring in a straight car you buy a repairable write off and just change the firewall out of the wreck and into your straight car. There are plenty of panel beaters around town who will oblige. In my opinion the extra duty you will have paid will be well and truly offset by the cheaper panel work and also if you go to a wrecker and say all you want is the firewall there will be plenty who will help you out..... Dont expect to have to pay anything like $8k for a donor if all you want is the firewall. This will also alleviate the issues of having randoms come around your house and try and huck you $100 on the gearbox you are trying to sell out of the wreck.

Depending which panel beaters you go to dont expect any change out of $10k to fully change the colour of a car (inside and out) a few new panels, and replace one of the chassis rails. Hence you might be better off to find a straigh my02 rs for about $12k and use that as the donor.

In terms of the donor vehicle you could probably expect (assuming everything was working) around $1500 for the gearbox. $1500 for the engine / turbo. $500 for the interior and about $300 for the rear diff. $150 per door / window. Might get a bit extra for things like the hubs / rims / driveshafts etc.

Hope this helps.

Brendon
Old 24-05-2009, 07:59 AM
www.dilettante.net

EXPLICIT at standard level
Send a message via MSN to EXPLICIT

Brendon pretty much hit it on the head. My case worked out as i found a damaged 204 for the right price and an 07 GX came up at auction. One had blown airbags one didnt, one had lhs front damage the other rhs. I wanted to retain the same vintage chassis (read: MY07), the opportunity arose so i took it. Keep in mind ANY GD chassis will suit the myriad of jdm specials, so an 01 gx is a perfectly good donor for anything 01 - 07. Comes down to how pedantic you are about the car and retaining its legitimacy (heritage).

I gave consideration to a locally supplied newish STI. But given the asking money and obvious advantages of the jdm vehicle versus the local, it wasnt a hard decision.

Last edited by EXPLICIT; 24-05-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 26-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Ok.

Grab a cup of coffee and some biscuits cause this may take a while.

I have spoken to DPI and CAMS re B 'reg'. The bad news is that there are now no more 'outside dimension' (read more than 48 hour) permits to be issued. There is also no tarmac cars being 'b regoed' anymore. I.e. Spotydog if you bring a S202 in forget getting it registered. i.e. you can get 48 hour 'movement permits' and for something like targa west i.e. for a three day event you need two of them.

However, you can still b reg a gravel car. The reason for this is because the only way the DPI will b reg a car is if you have your gravel scrutineering certificate. There is only one guy in WA with the authority to issue these certificates for gravel cars. As yet there are still different guidelines / difference of opinion / political issues for tarmac cars so no such certificate exists for drift / tarmac cars.

However, there is a light on the horizon and CAMS / DPI are still thrashing out a new system whereby tarmac cars can be 'b reg'. DPI dont like permits because people go through speed cameras etc and dont get caught and they dont like b reg because there are cars out there that get driven everyday to work on b reg and never see a track be it bitumen or gravel. Having said that it is definately happening. CAMS and the DPI have a meeting on the 2nd June that will hopefully resolve some more issues and give everyone something to move forward on. How long it takes from here is anyones guess? It has been 4 years in the making so far and as far as I know there are still not a finalised set of guidelines so it could easily be another 4 years.

So. how does one get a car 'b reg at the moment? The only way is to set it up for gravel (read cage / restrictor etc), get it properly scrutineered / log booked and then turn it into a tarmac car again. Not cheap but if your car is already there then it is a very attractive option.

From my conversations one can only surmise that the new rules are going going to be set up to specifically stop people from bringing in a car (such as a S202) and promptly go and get it b reg'd. DPI are concerned that the cars (as they have done in the past) get used extensively as daily drivers. I think that they will let this car get registered in the new (re iterating it is yet to be finalised) system but the car will have specific rally permit plates. For someone like spotydog who wants to do the right thing this will be great and long overdue. What it will stop is the guys like a said a few pages back who brought in an RX-7, got it b' reg'd, took the cage out and promptly sold it as full a 'reg.

The next stumbling block is when you do get it licensed / registered you are liable for stamp duty. Short of saying it is a given if someone gets off their ass and organises applies the vintage car club (as an example) enjoys reduced stamp duty and registering costs because the cars dont get used as much etc. DPI have told me this is certainly acceptable to them but we need to get together as a group and apply through cams etc. This may be something that can be done through IWRXOC as they are obviously a lot more legitimate in CAMS eyes (they are properly CAMS accredited) than someone like P-WRX or EVO OZ.

Anyways for me this means that I am going to go down the road of getting my car scrutineered for gravel and then see if we cant b reg it that way. If I have to cop a bit of extra stamp duty then so be it.

Anyways hope this clears it up a bit for people. This is obviously a passion of mine (as I have a vested interest) and will keep people updated on the progress.

Regards

Brendon
Old 26-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
So. how does one get a car 'b reg at the moment? The only way is to set it up for gravel (read cage / restrictor etc), get it properly scrutineered / log booked and then turn it into a tarmac car again. Not cheap but if your car is already there then it is a very attractive option.
Just to add to this point - you "may" have to also prove gravel rally event history in order to get it B-reg'd - this could simply mean entering into a gravel rally round, turn up, start stage 1 and retire shortly thereafter.

Just another cost/PITA to add to the mix.
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 26-05-2009, 10:27 AM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level

Thanks Brendon - Awesome info.

I rang Cams and DPI yesterday also and you certainly found out more than me.

IF Cams approves the car (rally) then DPI will B-reg it was what I was told.

Shane Williams is the guy to approve it as discussed before.

B reg makes sense to me as I certainly am not going to drive the S202 to work over the 08 STI or whatever I buy next as my daily - next year.

I may bring it in and use permits until a suitable 2001 damaged comes along or B reg is sorted.

Graham

Tags
classic, s202