Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-05-2009, 11:28 AM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
Ok so I have a L2S cams liccy and want to buy a cheap import thrash box dak dak from Japan to hack around AHG and enter Dutton.

So if you wanted to bring a complete car in to stick on a trailer or get occasional permits, how would you go about that? I was under the belief that no one could get a complete car in unless it was going to be b-reg and from Brendon's comments, would now need to be a caged dirt rally car.
Road Vehicle Parts
Road vehicle parts do not require a VIA from Infrastructure.

However, for both Customs Tariff purposes and for the purposes of obtaining a VIA, a road vehicle is not considered to be parts just because it is unassembled, dismantled or incomplete. Australian Customs Notice (ACN) 2001/06 Guidelines for Entry of Partially Dismantled Vehicles determines the point at which an unassembled, dismantled or incomplete road vehicle is no longer considered to be a road vehicle but rather is considered to be parts.

Where a road vehicle purchased overseas is cut in two halves or more (to be assembled in Australia) for importation on separate shipments to Australia, the importer may be in breach of the Act for non-compliance of entry of the goods. This is because the purchased road vehicle may form part of a bulk order. It is strongly recommended that if you do intend to import an unassembled, dismantled or incomplete road vehicle you seek advice from Customs and Infrastructure prior to arranging importation.

While the guidelines determine a point at which a disassembled road vehicle is to be considered road vehicle parts, the importer should also consider the intended use of the parts. If the road vehicle assembly or component being imported bears a road vehicle identification chassis number and is to be reassembled for use on public roads, then a VIA is still required. It is important to note that State and Territory registration authorities may not register a reassembled road vehicle for use on public roads without a valid VIA.
Old 26-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
Ok so I have a L2S cams liccy and want to buy a cheap import thrash box dak dak from Japan to hack around AHG and enter Dutton.

So if you wanted to bring a complete car in to stick on a trailer or get occasional permits, how would you go about that? I was under the belief that no one could get a complete car in unless it was going to be b-reg and from Brendon's comments, would now need to be a caged dirt rally car.
IMHO the easiest / cheapest way to get a AHG / Dutton hack car would be as follows:

1) Apply for import approval through dotars subject to supplying a VIN number. i.e. no point buying a car and then not getting import approval or supplying a VIN number only to have the car sold before you get your approval. Part 10 of the import approval application is specifically for "Closed circut Racing / Rally. Tick that box and pay your $50. Dotars have not tightened their rules in relation to importing vehicles. The main points on the applications are as follows: - paraphrased.

a) It does say that the model must have been homologated but that is not a problem for WRX / EVO.
b) Unless you have a really good reason you are only allowed one at a time.
c) You need a level 3 license (however ben M from EVO OZ got away with a level 2)
d) If the vehicle is available locally they want to know why you want that specific vehicle and not a local one. This is easilly eplained away with the whole STI v WRX argument and homologation.
e) It also says that the application will only be considered where the vehicle will be used in serious competition. What defines serious? Targa West or an IWRXOC training day at Barbagallo? I would have thought you would get away with both. Also I cant imagine that if you said you were going to enter dutton that they would follow it up and say we are going to export your car or crush it because you never entered dutton.

2) Bring the car in whole. Yes you will pay some more duty but cuts out the expensive local panel beating and sourcing parts etc.

3) Enjoy it as it is. You will have to either trailer it or movement permit it until the goal posts get moved again but this is by far the cheapest and easiest way. This way the car is never has to go near the DPI.

If you decide to get a bit more serious then you would build the car as a tarmac car, put a restrictor in with a really basic tune and get the thing gravel scrutineered and then license it with the DPI.

If you decide motorsport is not really your thing you can put all the parts in a local shell and enjoy it that way.

Easy really. The big mistake I made was not finding all this crap out BEFORE i bought the car into the country. Makes for a massive PITA.

The more I read up and study it the more you can see what they are trying to achieve. No question the system is flawed and has some big loop holes but knowing what I know now I think the current system is workable. The problem is that everyone wants to pass the buck and no one is prepared to take a stand and say yay or nay.

Brendon
Old 26-05-2009, 01:13 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level

Ok

I have just recieved my approval to bring in a car after a couple of weeks of emails and clarification with Dotars. Track days are not enough experience on their own BUT they do take into account intended use and modifications to the car.

One issue I see with not being road/B registered is WRX vs Evo series requires a registered car, Dutton/ATC requires a road registered car be it normal or B reg. Targa I havent looked into but I think I will need to get it registered as B reg to do the events I want.

I dont know but I guess temporary Movement permit is not going to be enough.
Old 26-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotydog
Ok
One issue I see with not being road/B registered is WRX vs Evo series requires a registered car, Dutton/ATC requires a road registered car be it normal or B reg. Targa I havent looked into but I think I will need to get it registered as B reg to do the events I want.
Not an issue.

I have done all of these events on permits. One of the cars at Dutton last year was a porsche cup car. Good luck getting that registered.

Targa West gave me a number plate (it was plastic with a targa west logo and the number 6) that I was hoping to keep but they insisted I gave it back.

Hope this helps

Brendon
Old 26-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotydog
I may bring it in and use permits until a suitable 2001 damaged comes along or B reg is sorted.

Graham
This would be perfect....if it was in wa.

http://www.pickles.com.au/damaged/ve...088663/lotid-0

Brendon
Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 PM
WRXRW

we have a winner!

hottest s202 ever!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 PM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level

Saw that - agree its hot Ramon but 1,268,000 more than the one I currently have an offer on
Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 PM
WRXRW

roll-cage + race seats + body kit + wheels + suspension!

its a turn key scenario! not to mention its a hottie just like ur avatar!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Fark that things HAWT!

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 11-06-2009, 07:32 PM
STI Master

Taktics at standard level

ive never seen a sexier bugeye!

Tags