Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
True but I thought you could fit the STi struts in a wrx?
I believe the rears will bolt up without issue, but Doug has mentioned that there is substantial difference on the front struts and it isn't possible.

We were discussing 08+ fitment though and both OP and JRecardo have 08+ models.
RJ999 likes this.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Scoobie Noobie

KRiSBR0 at standard level

Killer feedback cheers! So I'll look more into coilovers as they sound like the better option if you're willing to spend a bit more
Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

kid at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRecardo View Post
Not wanting to hijack a thread, but seems to be the topic now so I'll just ask...

Would aftermarket struts + springs be a better option over coilovers for a predominantly daily drive with some odd track days thrown in?
Yup...however there are a few other points to consider.

- How old are you? If i was 21 i would probably still be running some dirty cheap harsh coilover and not care too much but i have found as i get older i really appreciate a comfortable ride, especially driving home after work.

- Coilovers can provide more flexibility when it comes to adjusting height and adding camber etc which is important i suppose if you want to go extreme with wheel fitment.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Yea definitely good bang for buck for the wrx, Mao has great prices too on these.

I tried the A1RMs, took them out the next day and bought/fitted the HC+s, the A1RMs screams constantly...I hated them and they make the sound of metal rubing over metal when you brake, stay away for street use.

My HC+s are great, not sure if I'm lucky with mine but everyone I know who uses them daily just love it, I do find that on the track once they're really heated up they scream more but not when daily driving where you don't really get to those super high temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid View Post
RJ999:

With regard to STD Coilovers, i got them from Mao @ Evo R. Great handling and very good bang for your buck, but i found them uncomfortable for daily driving in traffic, over speed bumps etc.

As for HC+, from what i understood they were the PMU pad that was closest to the QFM A1RMs, which i used to run with. At least two guys that did events with me always complained about the sound. Maybe you have been lucky, but after a dozen or so hard stops at the track, the sound was pretty bad.

Last edited by RJ999; 10-12-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:03 PM
STI Master

SPOOLED at standard level
Send a message via MSN to SPOOLED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid View Post
RJ999:

With regard to STD Coilovers, i got them from Mao @ Evo R. Great handling and very good bang for your buck, but i found them uncomfortable for daily driving in traffic, over speed bumps etc.

As for HC+, from what i understood they were the PMU pad that was closest to the QFM A1RMs, which i used to run with. At least two guys that did events with me always complained about the sound. Maybe you have been lucky, but after a dozen or so hard stops at the track, the sound was pretty bad.

Yea i also run STD coilovers in my Sti and i actually find them
quiet confortable i set my settings bang in the middle betveen soft and hard (6 clicks) deffenetly good buy for someone that isnt going extreme track days

LIVE LIFE TO THE MAX
Old 10-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

JRecardo -- Choice problem solved! Go coilovers

[QUOTE=Soksta;780926]I believe the rears will bolt up without issue, but Doug has mentioned that there is substantial difference on the front struts and it isn't possible.
QUOTE]
Old 10-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level

I use HC+ in my car but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's mainly street driving their car. You're better off using a more street focused pads (such as the QFM HPX) as they grip way better from the get go instead of needing heat to make the pads grippy. And you don't have to contend with brake dusts and noise.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

Just don't ever go on a track with the HPX, they will melt
Old 10-12-2013, 06:14 PM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

I run hc+ all round. Only the rear ones makes the noise(not enough load to heat up properly?), I know because I had the front one first. I have leant my leason, so I recommend b spec rear.

If u can afford more expensive coilover, why not I would love a set of ohlins myself. On the other hand(dont want to troll), kw v3 runs 7kgmm spring front 5 rear and its progressive spring(act as softer spring first). std is 8kgmm all round, so it will be harder. Valve quility does contribute to coilover harshness, but mao can order softer spring combo for ya. At last Std is almost a third of the price of kw too, customer support is great from my experience.

As soksta mensioned any coilovers are harder than spring/strut combo.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport

Last edited by s20525xxx; 10-12-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Subaru Tech Division

RJ999 at standard level

You forgot to mention K&W v3 is full inox aluminium strut casing and everything else...weight is way way way less than STDs lol

But yes agreed to money and STD being good value, if you wont keep the car for at least next 5 years ahead no point getting k&w! I can't afford the kws either for now, but one day I will own them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s20525xxx View Post
I run hc+ all round. Only the rear ones makes the noise(not enough load to heat up properly?), I know because I had the front one first. So I recommend b spec rear.

If u can afford more expensive coilover, why not I would love a set of ohlins myself. Dont want to troll, but kw v3 runs 7kgmm spring front 5 rear and its progressive spring(act as softer spring first). std is 8kgmm all round. Of cause it will be harder. Valve quility does contribute to coilover harshness, but Im sure mao can order softer spring combo for ya. At last Std is almost a third of the price of kw too, customer support is great from my experience.

As soksta mensioned any coilovers are harder than spring/strut combo. Im poor and young thats why I went for stds. But I have bushings all round, low profile tyres and swaybars, I can still live with it for now

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
s20525xxx likes this.

Tags
fart, fresh, scooby, tbe, world