Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

klass8wrx at standard level

Had the same problem with the starter motor, works on push starts. Although you mentioned it was repaired. All the best.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

Crank Angle Sensor.

Mine was like that, not starting at random times till eventually the Crank Angle Sensor threw up a CEL and car was completely dead.

No CEL up until then.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

How hard is to replace, how much, where is it located inside the engine bay?
Old 06-07-2008, 12:01 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

96rex at standard level

mmm i had this problem today aswell, i unhooked the battery and cleaned the cord thing that connects to the battery. (had that white build uo on it) then it stared up.

ps all my electrics came on aswell but didnt start up.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXTASY
Crank Angle Sensor.

Mine was like that, not starting at random times till eventually the Crank Angle Sensor threw up a CEL and car was completely dead.

No CEL up until then.
If it was a crank angle sensor why would it not turn over? The purpose of the crank angle sensor is to pick up what angle the crank is at for ignition. I would have thought if it were a crank angle sensor then it would turn over but not fire.

I would be more inclined to look into probs around the ignition barrel. It could still be the starter. Did you get yours rebuilt or a second hand one fitted?

Sometimes you can get a flat spot on the armature on the starter and if it happens to stop in that position she wont start no matter how hard you try and then for no apparent reason it will make contact and away you go.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Sir AntiLag

Foxymophandlmama at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Foxymophandlmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX-REX
I would be more inclined to look into probs around the ignition barrel. It could still be the starter. Did you get yours rebuilt or a second hand one fitted?

Sometimes you can get a flat spot on the armature on the starter and if it happens to stop in that position she wont start no matter how hard you try and then for no apparent reason it will make contact and away you go.

I put it in to be rebuilt but when he got into it he said there was nothing wrong with it, couple of connections a bit off so he fixed them but said he could find no reason it would cause a problem and no reason to rebuild it.

Not speeding Officer........Qualifying.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

sikwrx at standard level

id say ignition barrel, easy enough to check, throw a tester on the leads going to the starter, turn the key.

if no power there, crack open the dash and check the terminals at the back of the barrel to make sure each have power at the right time as u click threw accessories / on / start

by the sounds of it accessories and on both work fine, id check the START terminal.

if theres power at the barrel and not the starter, then things get a little trickier, but atleast youve narrowed it down.

if there is power at both, starter is fucked.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Flat Four Father

IMPRESHER at standard level
Send a message via MSN to IMPRESHER

^^^^^

Repeat

if there is power at both, starter is fucked.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:58 PM
STI Master

wannabox at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX
Mine makes no tick/click noise at all when it does it. Just absolute silence when the key is turned to the 'start' position, Only noise is the fuel pump priming, which is also a sign that the immoboliser is disabled and the motor is ready to start.

Eventually she just starts as per normal. Not a battery issue as th battery is able to power my radio, HID's, air con etc etc, and it eventually starts, so i'm at a loss.

Someone on Rexnet told me that Brandt also has something to do with the key. So if you have a hell rough key, you might have problems.
Yep I get the exact same thing but very random. I have to take key out lock unlock then try again if that fails repeat that process. I hate my alarm it has even gone off while driving. You then need to clutch in turn car off, take key out, unlock doors, key back in and start, then continue driving. It is pretty bad if you ask me.

"Usually. Some guys can only dribble while others can shoot three pointers, so it might not make any difference how far they shoot. But in my case, it does."
Old 06-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX-REX
If it was a crank angle sensor why would it not turn over? The purpose of the crank angle sensor is to pick up what angle the crank is at for ignition. I would have thought if it were a crank angle sensor then it would turn over but not fire.
Yeah thinking about it again, the car did turn over but just would not fire up.

Disregard what I haver said then.

sikwrx is most likely on the money.

Tags
start