Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

kelford cams are nearly as expesive as cosworth cams last time i looked...

Are u going to be running a larger turbo in the future?? that is going to warrant getting cams?? If ur doing cams u also want to do springs/retainers and at min port the heads. Otherwise u wont really see a benefit...

Cams shift ur powerband to the right so u need all the acc hard to make it work..
Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

flashrs at standard level

if u drop a set of cams in, clean up the heads, replace the hot side (P18) of the vf34 with a P20 off a vf23 or vf22. this will give u more top end, without loosing to much bottom end..........
11.3 @ 200kph
Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex
kelford cams are nearly as expesive as cosworth cams last time i looked...
Are u going to be running a larger turbo in the future?? that is going to warrant getting cams?? If ur doing cams u also want to do springs/retainers and at min port the heads. Otherwise u wont really see a benefit...

Cams shift ur powerband to the right so u need all the acc hard to make it work..
Cosworth cams may have changed recently but they were previously re-branded Kelfords. Kelford are currently US$99 and US$58 cheaper than Cosworth for cams and valve springs respectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmy99
My intentions for the car are mainly a "weekend warrior" (it isn't my daily). I looking to build a fast 1/4 mile car, with the ability to be tracked ocasionally.
Currently I'm running PowerFC, VF34, FMIC, B-specII EBC, 3" TBE, CAI and a Walbro pump.
For mattmy99's listed purpose Kelford 264/264 hot street cams and valve springs sound ideal. These are proven to work well with existing shim over bucket vanilla model WRX heads. Imho at least freshen up the valve springs and realise some good gains.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

Thanks for all your input guys. Much appreciated.
Keep it coming.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXT
Don't think your gonna get the full benefits of bigger cams on the stock 99 heads.....best option would be a set of STi heads & cams with that turbo or even slightly bigger.

WRX/STI heads are same same, only the Spec C heads have slightly better flow. While your heads are in pieces get them port matched at least or polished and you will have better than spec-c heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
10% Duty + 10% GST on car parts over $1000.

Good hookup with Kelford Morgan.
Free trade agreement, no tax on US parts?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

[QUOTE=maddog]Cosworth cams may have changed recently but they were previously re-branded Kelfords. Kelford are currently US$99 and US$58 cheaper than Cosworth for cams and valve springs respectively.

that's strange...
the specs vary between kelford and cosworth, so I would say they are NOT the same. ie cosworth are not re-branded kelfords.
MANY people have made good power using cosworth cams with suitable supporting mods.
I was told by a well known local subaru/mitsubishi 'guru' workshop not to go with kelford cams because they don't seem to make the power.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:29 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by type25
that's strange...
the specs vary between kelford and cosworth, so I would say they are NOT the same. ie cosworth are not re-branded kelfords.
I never said they are currently made by Kelford, but they were in the past. Had a good chat awhile back with Kevin Ban at Kelford whom confirmed the fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by type25
I was told by a well known local subaru/mitsubishi 'guru' workshop not to go with kelford cams because they don't seem to make the power
Let your mate know the rest of the world disagrees , I don't care if he gets his info direct from Elvis

jEstEr? under Aus$1k duty does not apply, from anywhere.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

get real and grow up!

Last edited by type25; 05-10-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:53 PM
STI Master

Adz at standard level

Be abusive.. and you'll be banned.

Racetorque are not a 'guru' workshop..

A shop will use a brand.. over and over.. tune to suit and get the power in that sense

Normally when trying other brands that they're unfamiliar with.. they tend not to get the maximum out of the product.

Find a tuner.. see what they use.. and are able to get power out of best.. and go with that. Unfortunately in perth.. limited to tuners.. so always best to use what they can to get the best out of what you pay

cosworth cams atm are cheap as chups compared to recent times.. good value
Old 05-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

mattmy99 knows their stuff

As I mentioned previously, the engine's out, and it currently being rebuilt, while the body is being prepped for complete colour change, and interior retrim.
This isn't the first time I've had the engine out, and you dont have to look too far to see the quality (or lack of) of the work done at an un-named reputable workshop previously.
For those of you that are interested, I'll start to post up pictures of the process.

At cypher - Engine out.

Engine - notice timing marks on the RHS cam gears

timing marks - dont ask

Body - engine bay almost ready for priming.

It almost seems a shame to do this to a perfectly workng wrx... hopefully all the hard work will be seen in the finished result

Tags
build, cams, ej207, hatch, how to build a car for queers, mattmy99, sexy, thread