Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

PM Scary ... I believe he has a surge system in his Liberty.
Old 20-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Sign me up!
bug love

munya at standard level
Send a message via MSN to munya Send a message via Skype™ to munya

Other options available I like my PW surgetank though other option could be this Radium FST-R Fuel Surge Tank with Integrated FPR - Pro Speed Racing
Old 20-04-2015, 07:41 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by munya View Post
Other options available I like my PW surgetank though other option could be this Radium FST-R Fuel Surge Tank with Integrated FPR - Pro Speed Racing
I have one of these waiting to go in my forester. Im installing mine on the left of the gearbox, just behind the F L driveshaft. Just enough space to fit the FSTR. Setting the reg will be interesting. But once set shouldnt need further adjustments. Ive got a bit of Radium gear, and i must say the level of quality in engineering, and presentation is outstanding.

With the hankook z221s, i get fuel surge from 3/4 of a tank and less. And i already have a hyperflow in-tank pickup. I have to fill the tank to the brim after every run when i race. The new surge kit will allow me to race with the fuel light on.
Old 21-04-2015, 02:57 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by munya View Post
I have one of these waiting to go on my Forester. Gonna fit on the side of the gearbox behind the front left driveshaft. Just enough space to fit a FST-R. Gonna be interesting adjusting and setting the base pressure, but its really a one of job. I have a few other Radium parts on my car, and i must say the quality of engineering and presentation is remarkable. Very nice gear. Thats a good price too. I bought mine direct from Radium and it cost 799usd. But came with pump installed (dw300)

I get fuel surge at 3/4 of a tank or less with the R-comps. And i already have a hyperflow i tank pot/pickup thingo.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

I drove at Barbs the other night and was experiencing what I thought might be fuel surge as I went over the top of the big hill. Both times it happened as I coming on to boost in fifth gear. The car would stutter and shudder then come good further down the hill??
At first I thought it might be boost cut but it happened in the same spot twice over two laps.

Is this a place where you might typically experience fuel surge? I had just under had a tank on board when it happened.

Even running much lower fuel levels than this at the RAC I have never had this issue before and yes it was my first time there at Barbs, so my bad if it was surge.

Car is a 2010 STi.

Cheers.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:33 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
I drove at Barbs the other night and was experiencing what I thought might be fuel surge as I went over the top of the big hill. Both times it happened as I coming on to boost in fifth gear. The car would stutter and shudder then come good further down the hill??
At first I thought it might be boost cut but it happened in the same spot twice over two laps.

Is this a place where you might typically experience fuel surge? I had just under had a tank on board when it happened.

Even running much lower fuel levels than this at the RAC I have never had this issue before and yes it was my first time there at Barbs, so my bad if it was surge.

Car is a 2010 STi.

Cheers.
Nick, yes that is the typical spot to get fuel surge...when you go around Kolb then exit up the hill onto the main straight g forces will push the fuel in the tank to the left and your pump will suck up air which will reach the engine just as you get to the top of the hill.
The solution is to run at least 1/2 a tank at Barbagallo....you can get away with less at RAC since the cornering g forces aren't as high....or get an STI pump with an inbuilt mini surge pot (I had one but sold it a month or so ago)....or get an external surge pot with an additional pump....and I just happen to have one for sale!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:36 AM
STI Master

JRecardo at standard level

The information may be of no use to you Nick, but I was getting stuttering and coughing on boost in 5th gear at racewars with a quarter of a tank. Filled up with 20L and it was gone. Sounds like surge to me.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:37 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbosiris View Post
Bumping an old thread
I've noticed I get fuel surge in my bugeye with anything less than half a tank. When i pin it on a right hander i get sudden loss of power then a pop then everything is back to normal. really annoying and i'm sure it can't be good for the internals.

are there any solutions cheaper than $1200 for a PW anti surge kit? what are my options.
Cheers
i use a radium fst-r in my forester. mounted behind front left driveshaft up against the floor/firewall.

i use the original hardlines into and out of the can. (good because its literally a 15cm run of hose from the hardline to the can.) then from the can a short run to filter, then on to rails. the fstr is a fuel reg aswell. so it means there is no return from fuel rails back to can. (dead head) so you are significantly reducing the hose runs and points of failure. i use speedflow 200 hose and fittings because e85. and the fuel hose routing of the fstr vs conventional saved me about $300 in hose and fittings. (you can get the radium cans in conventional layout too. i just like the idea of reduced plumbing.)

i have a walbro 450 ethanol pump installed in the can. but you can configure the cans with virtually any combo of intank pump (including twin pumps) or even have them with external pumps aswell.

by the time youve bought the can, hose,fittings, pump and fabbed a bracket, youd probs be up around the 1-1.2k mark i think.
amtrapid likes this.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
Nick, yes that is the typical spot to get fuel surge...when you go around Kolb then exit up the hill onto the main straight g forces will push the fuel in the tank to the left and your pump will suck up air which will reach the engine just as you get to the top of the hill.
The solution is to run at least 1/2 a tank at Barbagallo....you can get away with less at RAC since the cornering g forces aren't as high....or get an STI pump with an inbuilt mini surge pot (I had one but sold it a month or so ago)....or get an external surge pot with an additional pump....and I just happen to have one for sale!
Nauli my model has the oem in-tank swirl pot but I still reckon it was surge as it wasn't happening earlier in the night when I had more fuel on board. Just wanted to know if it was a typical spot for it to happen. Thanks mate I was shitting bricks when it happened...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRecardo View Post
The information may be of no use to you Nick, but I was getting stuttering and coughing on boost in 5th gear at racewars with a quarter of a tank. Filled up with 20L and it was gone. Sounds like surge to me.
Hey Jack I guess running e85 with higher demand has it's drawbacks sometimes.

Cheers.
JRecardo likes this.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:48 PM

nauli knows their stuff

I'm not sure that the '08+ OEM in tank ones are that good. From what you're describing it's definitely fuel surge mate...

Tags
questions, surge, tank