Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

tez n u at standard level

Why do people fully build a motor if the 207 can pump out and handle so much?
Old 26-02-2012, 11:17 PM

I get my car tuned by st hitech a performance shop owned by a japanese guy who used to work for nismo in japan, he has tuned many ten sec and faster cars in nz and has good reputation.
Old 26-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr_eta View Post
Ej 207 with stock heads,jun cams and wheels,headers,gt35r turbo,race fuel,40 odd pounds of boost.. i would not think it would handle that boost power on a track or road i will pull it back now to its pump fuel and 30psi which is 450-470hp it was around 520 at the drags
Are you game to try 40 psi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr_eta View Post
Ej 207 short motor installed 10000kms ago
Jun 272 Camshafts with Jun springs and retainers
Jun adjustable cam gears
Arp head studs
Sti thick metal head gaskets
Tomei Headers
Tial 44mm gate
Gt35r turbo with .82 rear
850cc Sard inj
K&N 4" inch filter
Greddy cooler
Exedy twin plate
PPG 1st-4th snchro box
PPG output shaft
20 kg centre diff
Kazz plate front lsd Viscous rear lsd
Motec M800 Advanced functions 5 bar map sensor Mac valve
Sard surge tank with 044 pump
Walbro lift pump
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 27-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level
Send a message via MSN to V3 RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez n u View Post
Why do people fully build a motor if the 207 can pump out and handle so much?
because people want a power band that is larger than 2000 rpm. Sure if you just want straight line speed smack a massive turbo on, do the appropriate headwork and tune it and away you go. It might last 10000kms if you're lucky. Most people, don't have the disposable income to rebuild that often, Sean aka GTR ETA parts owns (?) ASG and is their tuner, which says a lot for how he was able to make his car such a demon. Full access to workshop facilities and a dyno.

If you search on here i'm sure his dyno graph is around somewhere and the area under the curve is fuck all. It was built as a drag car and it did that very well, but as for other aspects of motorsport, i don't think it would be any fun to drive/ be competitive.

what is the saying, straight line racing is a quarter of the fun?

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 27-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Sign me up!
Baller on a budget

V3 RA at standard level
Send a message via MSN to V3 RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [WRX CS Evo 7] View Post
GTR ETA... done, reliable!
Reliable? i don't think you could call it reliable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [WRX CS Evo 7] View Post
It comes down to some VERY clever mods and even CLEVER...ER tuning from a mechanic who knows the limits of such cars... tuning is as important (if not more important) then throwing boost.money at your car.
I don't understand this/any of your posts, it isn't like there is some secret mod done to that car...and clearly the OP isn't a retard so I'm sure he knows that 'tuning is important'

JDM version 3 STi RA
Old 27-02-2012, 01:40 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3 RA View Post
Reliable? i don't think you could call it reliable...

I don't understand this/any of your posts, it isn't like there is some secret mod done to that car...and clearly the OP isn't a retard so I'm sure he knows that 'tuning is important'
It is considering the fact it is smashing out such masssssive numbers. not reliable when compared to other WRX's with 300whp.

I didnt say there was a secret mod? I was simply saying that the tune on that car is AMAZING, its knife edge when you consider that car is so powerful for an internally stock motor (minus cams, etc) it is proof of what a EJ207 CAN do. not what he should do?!

And I didnt say anyone was a retard? a car that has been fined tuned to maximise its capabilites would be a better idea then MORE POWER ,more boost pushed to the edge of its ability, !

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 27-02-2012 at 01:46 AM. Reason: because I make no sense after 20hours of no sleep.
Old 27-02-2012, 07:13 AM

So looking at what sean did 300kw sjoild be reliable coz its a lot less the what he was running even on his low boost
Old 27-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Dont forget there are alot more variables to consider, hence why each motor will not make the same power. That goes for reliability. And as V3 RA said, i dont think it was reliability Sean was going for, he was more suprised it had last so long. So you'd need a gt35r with a .82mm rear housing @ about 27-28psi using gtreta as a benchmark. However i think you'd need some bigger cams if you want to flow that much air so 264 kelfords may need to be a touch bigger. Alot of people use 272/272 cosworths with great results. Remember its about air/fuel. No good putting a truck turbo on if your fuel pump is too small and your injectors are maxing out. At the same time, no point having small cam shafts that cant push the air or headers that cant flow the exhaust out.

I think 420hp (300ish kw) is achieveable, but as mentioned perhaps at a price of its timed life. Also, as someone has mentioned what gearbox are you running? The amount of torque you are going to try produce will have impact on your clutch,gearbox and drivetrain in general. I think the drivetrain lives will be shorter then the motor by far if they are stock.

Just my opinion, and im no guru just from past observations. T.J (the gearbox king) is a main observation as per usual :P

EDIT: I hope you have some money trees, things normally break.......

Last edited by Elrico; 27-02-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 27-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Man people do this all backwards.

Go see your tuner, ask them how to achieve your goals. You will need supporting mods. Your 264 cams should be bigger. You will probably need to swap out the turbo for something bigger.

The boost figure is just that, how much boost you are smashing into the engine. More boost does not mean more power. You need to have a correctly sized turbo to suit. Start having a look at the turbo compressor maps, plotting out your planned boost levels and calculating an approximate power at a suitable rpm.

Remember big turbo = spooling later = more revs needed.

A stock EJ207 short motor is capable of 3 bar on 98 RON fuel when tuned correctly. Plenty run around on 2 bar. But 2 bar with a TD04 is completely different to 2 bar with a GT35R.
Old 27-02-2012, 09:10 AM

So a gt3082r is not capable of a high ten sec pass?? I thought it should be able to do it since a few people have done ten sec passes using gt3076r?? I ran the 11.7 at 198km/h on around 250-260kw, with that trap speed i should be able to hit atleast a mid 11 to maybe a 11.4, my 60foot was 1.8 maybe if i drop that down a bit i should be able to pull a low 11sec?? Going by what the car is doing so far i figured maybe another 40-50kw with a bit of weight reduction should yield me a high ten sec pass or even a low low 11.

Tags
block, ej207, spec, v7