Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM
STI Master

ALPHA at standard level
Default Silicone Intake Pipes

Just spent a few hrs searching both PWRX and nasioc forums for some advice on this subject.

I'm looking for any guides for fitting / performance gains & dynos.. just looking for anything in general about silicone intake / induction pipes for WRX's.

Stock vs Aftermarket
Ebay vs Known brand

Seems we need a guide on this forum for picking and fitting one.

I'm keen to help if this hasn't been done, if it’s been done then please delete this thread or point me towards any guides for fitting and or picking one.

I'm personally looking for one that will fit my MY01 Bugeye with stock TD04 turbo but will also fit either a TD05 or VF34 down the line, I think any OEM designed silicone pipe will fit perfectly but I’m not 100% sure.

I'm interested in one for the simple fact that mine has a small crack in it that’s been fixed with electrical tape... Don’t ask.. I have no idea WTF the last owner was thinking.

At the same time if I get an aftermarket silicone one I want to know if it'll be higher flowing and if it will give me a power gain or if it's just going to be stronger and more reliable than my stock one.

Cheers and as stated above if this is easily found on this forum I'm sorry I’ve been going crazy looking for information.

An example I've seen "ebayspec"

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi GDA/GDB INTAKE INDUCTION PIPE | eBay
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

I have been usingthis brand for years & have had no issues at all.

As for performance over a stock unit, you would never know the difference. after the drive

Autobahn88 Silicone WRX GC8 Turbo Induction Hose 96-98 | eBay
Old 09-04-2012, 10:36 AM
STI Master

Marti at standard level

normally when fitting after market intake pipes(under the manifold), you will need to remove the intake manifold or atleast lift it up a little bit. this is because the intake pipe has little nipples on it that my get caught if you rip it out.Its not hard to do if your mechanically minded.With the after market silicone type intake hoses the silcone can stretch over the turbo intake mouth if you apply a little lube then hose clamp it down.You need to be fairly patient when you remove and install the intake pipes because as i have said above you dont want to break the nipples on the side.If your really worried about fitment i would take an measurement of the outside diameter of the turbo inlet and compair it to the inlet side of the after market intake pipe so that your 100% sure it will fit over the turbo snout.

hope this helps a little bit

Car: C Red S13 Silvia 2.3l 400+rwhp-SOLD
Daily ae82 4age corolla (light mods)-Sold
Daily:SWB GQ Patrol
Will be a 03-04 STI next
Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Champ at standard level

Samco - Intakes OK, but don't replace your radiator hoses until you read this article.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Sign me up!
Santa's Little Helper

Addy at standard level

^^^ That is definitely an interesting read. But let's keep this thread on topic and maybe start a new thread with that article link.

Adi

P.S. with silicon intakes, people usually don't care about the existing intake hose, so they break it apart and get it out without removing the intake manifold. Putting the new silicon one in is not too much of a problem as it is flexible.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
STI Master

ALPHA at standard level

^ Addy - that's what I was thinking of doing. If I can avoid removing the intake manifold I will.

So from the above few comments it would seem that it's just stronger than the factory intake.. No real performance gains.

As mine is slightly cracked I'll just break it/remove it and fit an eBay spec one. No point in a samco or expensive brand if it makes no performance gain and the eBayspec items are just as strong.

Cheers for the input guys I'll order an eBayspec silicone intake and when it rocks up I'll take some snaps during the install.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
STI Master

ALPHA at standard level

Also going off what I've been reading : the VF34 and TD05 will fit up perfectly as they are both designed to fit the factory spot "almost" perfectly.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:50 PM
STI Master

Marti at standard level

No real performance gains because your not increasing the turbo inlet diameter (bigger turbo) silicon (on intake pipes is just good for reliabillity. But as above I was just trying to give both options incase you wanted to keep the standard intake pipe for some reason

Car: C Red S13 Silvia 2.3l 400+rwhp-SOLD
Daily ae82 4age corolla (light mods)-Sold
Daily:SWB GQ Patrol
Will be a 03-04 STI next

Last edited by Marti; 09-04-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:03 PM
STI Master

gorotsuki69 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Samco - Intakes OK, but don't replace your radiator hoses until you read this article.
agreed
I made the mistkake of using silicon radiator hoses and noticed coolant leaches out through the ends no matter how tight you do the clamps. It's only a tiny bit though
Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

redlib at standard level

When i fitted my ebay spec intake, i had to take the manifold off, cause i found that i had to cut two of the fuel line brackets off, because the new intake hits them. This was done on a 97 wrx mind you. I find its not that hard to take the manifold of, but in saying that i have done it a 100 times.

Tags
induction, intake, pipes, silicone