Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By redlib

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 09:15 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

grape juice at standard level
Default Steering wheel shudder 05 sti

I done some searching about causes for shudder in the steering wheel and the generic causes were faulty power steering pump, air bubbles in power steering, dodgey orings and at times diff related. however my symptons seem to be slightly different to those described so my question is has any one experienced something similar or has an oppinion on which they think this cause may be.

On cold start up, there isn't any noticeable whinning or noises coming from the the pump or fan belt whilst the car is not moving.

Once i pull out the drive way the first 2-5mins of driving the steering makes a little whining but nothing to bad and no negative steering feedback.

Driving calmly through the suburbs, making turns there isn't any noticeable issue. You can maybe slightly notice the wheel has a tendancy to want to straighten itself out, but maybe that just me.

The issues of shuddering and even at times a real stiff (zero power steering) come when the engine/suspension is loaded up.

I only mention them both together as the heavy/shuddering steering is only experience under hard braking and cornering or hard accelaration out of cornering. This makes it hard to distinguise whether its an issue with power steering due to engine loading (possible loose belt) or maybe something diff/suspension related.

The symptons do seem to be slightly more noticeable when the DCCD isn't set to auto, but this for 1 could be placebo or 2 changing the DCCD off auto may load the center diff in a manner which effects engine load and therefore the power steering from there.

I do plan on getting it looked at during its next service in 3000km's but if its possible to fix it myself before then to save a few $$$ i'd rather do that.

Cars recently had new tyres and all wheels aligned, and the issues were experienced before and after that, car does need new brakes and the rotors machined but thats a different kettle of fish, as the steering shudder occurs under acceleration and cornering (when no braking is occuring)

Any queries or help is welcomed

Cheers Jamie

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."
Old 11-06-2013, 09:19 AM
STI Master

Tiigga at standard level

Sounds a simple thing to mention but have you got plenty of powersteering fluid in the reservior.. Have u also checked for leaks in hoses
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Yeah sorry should have mentioned, i've checked the fluid level, and if anything its more full that it is empty. I wouldnt have thought slightly overfilling would cause this.

Secondly yeah no hoses have visual leaks, and level of fluid is yet to drop over 1 months driving. So would assume system in that respect is mickey mouse.

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."
Old 11-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Subaru Tech Division

redlib at standard level

Sounds like your rotors are stuffed. Even when your accelerating into the corner after braking, the rotor could just be skipping over the pads, giving that shuddering feeling through the steering.
Brett Allan likes this.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Its possible, and i cant imagine it would be helping the feeling through the steering wheel. But it doesnt really explain how steering can at times can be completely stiff (under really hard cornering), as if power steering wasn't working at all.

I find that it is at its worst when i do several hard corners. Like its a little bit stiff andf strange in the first, then worse in the second corner and so on, then it just goes away. I can go flat out and stand on the brakes and take a corner and its not nearly as bad at taking 3-4 corners at half the intensity.

-------But i find that the feedback from poor rotors/pads is more felt by the slight shuttering/nervous brake pedal under heavy braking.

That an the fact i can run my finger along the rotor and it feels like a vinyl record-----

I'm leant towards power steering related for this issue. Though i may be wrong and all suggestions are helpful as i might think of some tests to rule things out

Old 11-06-2013, 12:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

I had the same issue under cornering and heavy breaking and it turned out to be my front rotors... Might be worth taking it In to a reputable workshop?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Allan View Post
I had the same issue under cornering and heavy breaking and it turned out to be my front rotors... Might be worth taking it In to a reputable workshop?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
Right, well i never would have thought/guessed rotors would cause what im experiencing but yeah it's only got another 2500kms before its due a service so i might get it booked in a little earlier to see if i can get this sorted.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Subaru Tech Division

type25 at standard level

I have some excellent condition 05-07 STI front rotors.
1 set 18xxx kms old machined and ready to go.
1 set 971 kms old, like new.
these are all genuine brembo.
Pm if interested in a set.

Last edited by type25; 11-06-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Sir AntiLag

squid at standard level

[[WORKSHOP STARTING WITH S]] didn't put my box back in properly and so the left hand shaft on the front isn't sitting correctly -so the harder you turn the more it wants to 'bite' back, to a point, and then it gets better, but its not good :/ - did think it was rotors at first, and replacing them has helped, but I still have the bigger issue with shafts.

You might want to check for play in bearings, cv boot leaks, gearbox mounts, steering bushels etc, wheel weights/balancing, in your front shafts look for play/flogging look at front shafts and feel around, make sure nothing feels loose or flogged out. rotors & pads still might be worth another check

Just some ideas anyway

PM me if you want more info or photos

:)
The Following User Says Thank You to squid For This Useful Post:
grape juice (12-06-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 07:49 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Cheers for the help, my mate has a hoist so i'll throw it up there over the coming weeks and have a good look around at everything, try and get a better idea of what i think it might be, before heading into a shop.

To be honest the rotors and pads are pretty average anyways. So i'll probably be doing that regardless, then hopefully if there are other issues adding to the effect they may be able to pick it up.

Rather than start another thread, I've been look at upgrading to the DBA4000's, question is whats my best bang for buck if i need to drop money into rotors and pads.

-machine the existing rotors a good quality pads
-DBA's all round
-I've even heard decent feedback about the EBC red's (hard to look past what you get for that price, compared to OEM brembos and the DB's

Oh i do zero track work, just driven decently hard at times. I just want to avoid the scenario where i spend X amount of dollars just getting your run of the mill shit when another 200,300,400 would of netted something a shit ton better

Tags
05, shudder, steering, sti, wheel