Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-2014, 09:23 PM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

Mate I will be straight forward - way back in 1991 odd when you were probably still in short pants the original design of this dump pipe was made.

It works - it works very very well.

A huge amount of other designs have come and gone in that time and this particular Venturi design has evolved to become simpler and there are various versions made internationally.

Now back then this was made in WA - at this time Prodrive was still running an open bell mouth design - go on ask me how I know.

This is pre WRX but still Subaru.

They cost more back then and to save cash some were made of mild steel.

So there is your history lesson.

It has been proven, commented on and thrown up the flag pole for years and still the consensus is they are simply the best.

In order for the masses to own a piece of HANDMADE design and for costs to remain competitive the design has simplified over time.

If you can't see the obvious differences in a straight vs curved splitter and have issue with a couple of minor dags within the dump pipe perhaps you should go see Norm and pay for a proper custom version that will have the splitter so tight to the waste gate you won't fit paper in the gap and he will port it, polish it and make the inside beautiful for you BUT that comes at a cost (one that you are unlikely to be willing to pay)

It works and it works damn well.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 27-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

See this is why you got my vote Scary.

So ... straight to the pool room is my recommendation.

Who will go 2nd?
American Dave, munya and Dan [GTI] like this.
Old 28-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Rexit at standard level

Hahaha...."short pants"..??. Do you really think you're Corrado Soprano?

That's hilarious!

Anyway besides your soft attempts to insult me, that's a great rundown of the history of the butler system. Cheers.

Along with the other valuable input, I now have a much better appreciation of the service norm has provided perth car modders for many years....particularly in the days before alternate options were easily available.

Alone that's worth the loyalty shown by the fanbois, like scary.....but with a design that, by all accounts in this thread, is highly effective......well it seems that the legendary reputation is well deserved...

I'll fit mine up and be happy in the knowledge I've got a system that is held high in the critical opinions of those who have used this system for many, many...many ....many ...years...

Though,... it always amuses me how these opinions so often need to be expressed by some lemons along with weak insults....

Not that you are a lemon scary....I don't even know you....so I wouldn't dream of making an assumption like that..
Old 28-02-2014, 02:56 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

car forums...share knowledge and opinions
If you want a quiet Subaru then stick with the oem system but if you want increased performance then be prepared to suffer some extra sound in the cabin. I still think that a good flash tune and an aftermarket dump pipe will net you some excellent performance without your ears and wife suffering too much.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 AM

Rexit at standard level

Hey Dave... I did forget to mention the forester did have a Cobb Tuning air box (cai) installed as well.

So the intake noise up front ..combined with the exhaust noise from the back....in the noisiest vehicle setup.. (large cabin, no boot, automatic trans) all conspired to create an noisy cabin space...

So my previous comments about the noise needs to be taken in the context described above.

I'm sure the same issues would not be experienced in a Rex....or to a lesser degree at least.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:21 AM
The Modulator

well I have the same Cobb tuning air box and I reckon its a waste of money unless you have a big arse turbo to feed, its also loud on boost as well. go back to the stock box for sure
Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

Fanboi, lemon…

Yeah that's me - got it in one.

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi
Old 04-03-2014, 12:42 PM

Rexit at standard level

haha thanks for clarifying that scary.....

seriously though... im sure you are a decent and nice enough fellow....well now i am making an assumption

i was just giving some back...i can take the cheap shots..

anyway...im here to learn, share ideas, contribute where possible ...and if i see the need, question the satus quo...(not the band ..scary)..

besides...i much prefer to make enemies in real life,..so ill try n not do it here first...

Hey Dave...i was thinking the same thing...after reading that on a few different forums..

but do you think there is value in upgrading the inlet hose/pipe and sfb?

are there gains to had in just that intake mod?

or is the entire in intake efficient enough for the stock turbo? cheers..
Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM
The Modulator

The stock intake box and associated inlet pipe flows just fine for the stock turbo. There is no real power gains but some will argue that you will get improved throttle response when using an aftermarket SFB / Intake pipe. The best power gain is still just retuning the ecu imo.
GTB Liberty and amtrapid like this.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:41 PM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

Not try to argue with experienced memeber here. I did a test at evor last year on aem cai vs stock box vs stock box wo filter&cover on stock map. We also plugged my boost gauge on inlet pipe to show vacumn before turbo (intake resistance). Wo filter/cover, car made most power (I think it was 245whp, 0.93bar-0.07 bar resistance). Stock box made the lowest number, 237 whp at 0.89 bar-0.11bar resistance. Aem made 242whp, but with least vacumn 0.96bar.

On japanese magazine, almost all stage 2 cars use aftermarket intakes some with bigger inlet hose on stock turbo. And they prefer short ram rather than cai for some reason, maybe there is lot more rain and snow there?

Warick told me there was a compensation table in ecu regarding fuel map and intake temperature. Hotter intake temp cuts fuel delivery at a certain scale.

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport

Last edited by s20525xxx; 04-03-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Tags
built, butler, dump, photos, pipe, rexit wants more bling