Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Update on this thread.

Apparently Project MU (Gavin) was made aware of my thread on here and when he read it he said that I should not have got the rotors skimmed and you cant do that to 2 piece rotors. I have never heard of that before and they were taken to a reputable shop we all know on here (also listed as an authorised Project MU dealer) and they skimmed them without any issue. Also put some of the blame for cracks on the lack of cooling down for rotors at the RAC venue. Did explain the car wasnt parked up straight away and that I drove around the side of the building slowly for those that know where I mean. So obviously no further investigation from them or their Engineering Dept. in Japan as they said initially.

I have also been waiting for Project MU in Oz to keep their word on something they promised me in regards to replacing my hats with the GT Pro hats (floating rotors) They have since ignored a number of e-mails I have sent them in regards to this, which I am extremely dissapointed about. Even when I was getting replies from the guy in the early stages of communication it took about a week for them to reply to your e-mails.

What ever happened to good customer service eh???????????????
Of course 2 piece can be machined!
Carl, why do you want floating rotors...I would strongly recommend against them for a road car...they can be very rattly when driving around.
Old 24-12-2014, 10:08 AM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Thats crap.
amtrapid likes this.

http://kap.industries/
Old 24-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Sign me up!
STI Master

phoenix at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauli View Post
Carl, why do you want floating rotors...I would strongly recommend against them for a road car...they can be very rattly when driving around.
The guy from Project MU suggested it as a possible soultion to prevent the cracking. I didnt ask for them but did mention the noise when he offered them to me and he said it wouldnt be a problem with these rotors. He was going to let me have them as he had a spare set that were currently being used, that was 2 months ago, he was just going to charge me for the bobbins which he said were re-usable when replacing the rotors.

Like I said after a number of e-mails he has never got back to me he, just ignores them I guess

Happy Christmas to everyone anyway
Old 29-12-2014, 09:01 AM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Thats crap.
Really?
Old 29-12-2014, 09:56 AM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Quote:
Thread hijack.

Steve is there a difference between two piece rotors and floating rotors? Sorry for the noob question but I am planning to go to a two piece soon as my one piece dba's are now shuddering...
Old 29-12-2014, 10:13 AM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Quote:
Really?
Sorry Steve. Sounded like I said what you said was crap. I was refering to the situation Carl is in. PMu havent treated him nicely at all!

Sorry again bud for the misunderstanding.

http://kap.industries/
Old 30-12-2014, 03:18 PM

nauli knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Thread hijack.

Steve is there a difference between two piece rotors and floating rotors? Sorry for the noob question but I am planning to go to a two piece soon as my one piece dba's are now shuddering...
Nick...all floating rotors are two piece but not all two piece are floating....the hat can be bolted flush to the rotor so in essence the rotor is hard-fixed to the hub and can't move = fixed two piece.
Or the rotor can be attached to the hub with special stamped rivets which allow them to move independently of the hub thus reducing brake pad drag and pad knockoff due to heat distortion....this is the floating two piece...(which in turn can be partial or full floating)...the downside (especially with full floating) is for them to rattle when no pad pressure is applied...ie when driving along normally.....but as soon as the brakes are applied, the rattle goes away. So not ideal for a road car.
nick73 (30-12-2014)
Old 30-12-2014, 03:25 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Nthe downside (especially with full floating) is for them to rattle when no pad pressure is applied...ie when driving along normally.....but as soon as the brakes are applied, the rattle goes away. So not ideal for a road car.
Shown well here - Amazing how rattly the full floaters are. The mid range ones seem the only compromise for a street car with race style brakes. (not many, as the cost of these for street use would be silly)

nick73 and amtrapid like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichX For This Useful Post:
amtrapid (30-12-2014), nick73 (30-12-2014)

Tags
cracks, opinions, rotor, uh oh project mao rotors