Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 08:00 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

bumparoo, RB how long till your first service period expires? Really interested in some download/upload stats' and average consistent speeds over said period.

Cheers.
Old 20-10-2010, 01:08 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
bumparoo, RB how long till your first service period expires? Really interested in some download/upload stats' and average consistent speeds over said period.

Cheers.
Bumpage - Wanting to know peoples experience with Vivid & gaming.....

Constantly on the yellow bars for CODMW2

* Edit ^^ Dont mind getting owned, just want to at least get a couple of shots in at least :P
Old 20-10-2010, 01:22 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodown View Post
Bumpage - Wanting to know peoples experience with Vivid & gaming.....

Constantly on the yellow bars for CODMW2

* Edit ^^ Dont mind getting owned, just want to at least get a couple of shots in at least :P
Vivid and Gaming is never going to be great - The fact of the matter is that a wired connection, copper or fibre, will always give you a much lower latency to the server in terms of milliseconds.

A 3G/4G connection will have much more latency on it which would explain your yellow bars in COD. If you want green, you ideally want a nice DSL or fibre connection - If DSL, have interleaving turned off on the DSLAM port.

If you know the hostname of the COD Server, do a tracert to it and you will see what I am talking about.
Old 20-10-2010, 02:25 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
Vivid and Gaming is never going to be great - The fact of the matter is that a wired connection, copper or fibre, will always give you a much lower latency to the server in terms of milliseconds.

A 3G/4G connection will have much more latency on it which would explain your yellow bars in COD. If you want green, you ideally want a nice DSL or fibre connection - If DSL, have interleaving turned off on the DSLAM port.

If you know the hostname of the COD Server, do a tracert to it and you will see what I am talking about.
You misintepreted. I have DSL1 (1.5 through iiNet). Stuck on a RIM, nothing I can do but move, or setup a point to point WiFi if I can make friends with someone closeby with DSL2+.

I get better download speeds through my NextG handset than I do DSL1, most of the times, havent looked at ping times though - guessing would be slower no doubt.

My friend 1km away also on a RIM with DSL1 gets green bars.... (i do get green occasionally), definately not as good a connection as his though (both iiNet). Only difference is modem.

No noise issues, no line additions or anything. Generally d/l speed is great, just avg gaming ping time.
Old 20-10-2010, 05:12 PM

RichX knows their stuff

Sounds like the RIM you are on is just getting congested at times - Never really know what kind of backhaul these things have to the main exchange, but it sounds like it may only be 100Mbps for x amount of peoples on the RIM.

Been a while since i've looked, but i heard sometimes line transpositions are possible? Usually for Telstra to perform them on your line, they force you onto Bigpond though, which these days isn't so bad as it would be a significant improvement moving off the RIM.
Old 20-10-2010, 09:57 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Killer Python at standard level

well i walways get crap reception and i am using a signal booster, best i have seen is 3mb connection but average around 512k to 1mb but atleast it stays connected unlike optus wireless.
Old 21-10-2010, 01:03 PM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Using a gateway in clarkson..about 2k from the tower.
I generally get 3bars in MW2 on xbox360 (that's using a wireless adapter on the xbox360...not a lan cable) and very often take host (but most people that are not in WA end up with yellow bars)

Congestion is a major issue for me especially from 430pm to 10pm. But as far as gaming is concerned, it works well.
Most MW2 games anyhow will have a shit connection/lag if the host is anywhere other than WA.

Be aware tho, that if you plan to use WIFI for your iphone/ipad it lags/delays extremely bad. Something to do with the iphone/ipad software.

Jump onto the vividwireless forums for a heap of reading (mostly people bagging the service!) for a laugh.
Vividwireless forums
Old 21-10-2010, 01:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by [W ARGHH X] View Post

Using a gateway in clarkson..about 2k from the tower.
I generally get 3bars in MW2 on xbox360 (that's using a wireless adapter on the xbox360...not a lan cable) and very often take host (but most people that are not in WA end up with yellow bars)

Congestion is a major issue for me especially from 430pm to 10pm. But as far as gaming is concerned, it works well.
Most MW2 games anyhow will have a shit connection/lag if the host is anywhere other than WA.

Be aware tho, that if you plan to use WIFI for your iphone/ipad it lags/delays extremely bad. Something to do with the iphone/ipad software.

Jump onto the vividwireless forums for a heap of reading (mostly people bagging the service!) for a laugh.
Vividwireless forums
Fantastic.

Exactly the type of review I was after. Although, the ping of 74ms - is that to the speednet servers or to Perth server?

I get a 12-15ms ping time to iinet, UWA, Murdoch, 63-65ms to tpg, UNSW, 67ms to google.com.au (right now anyway - might need to test during peak "home time/CODMW2" hours).

So if 74ms it to a Vivid server in Perth, then I am no better off. But if 74ms is to an east coast server, it could be worth while.

I am considering buying the home gateway on a prepaid plan just to conduct some decent testing during peak hours before deciding whether to ditch DSL....

Although, I dont know about Vivid not having a mail server !! That blows. Will have to use authenticated SMTP with an ISP mail server using a relative/friends account.... and there response "most people have gmail/hotmail" is bullshit....

Might be worthwhile me buying a new modem. My 4yo DG834G doesnt have QoS - and thats the only difference between mine and my mates connection round the corner.

Perhaps my wife's web browsing may be affecting my game time.... I think thats probably her plan......
Old 21-10-2010, 01:55 PM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

That was a speedtest to the perth server.

To QLD..

My ping on the perth server on speedtest.net is usually 52ms.

Its actually hard to really give a difinitive answer as to how good the gaming and lag is using vividwireless as it really depends on who is hosting the match.

For example, a mate is with iinet and has a business plan. He gets 14Mb/s DL, 2Mb/s UL and a ping of less than 15ms......however, even he struggles to get host or full 4 bars on MW2 and very often complains of a lagging game when the host is from QLD/NSW. Where as I find it perfectly fine (ie: throw a grenade and it leaves your hands right there and then....not 4 secs later).
Some QLD hosts have a great room...others have a shit one (even when you have 3 bars)

I was previously with optus ADSL2+ but found I was on a RIM.
My best speeds were less than 3Mb/s and a upload of 0.50Mb/s with a ping of 20ms.
EVERY game I had was yellow or red bar and laggy as.

I have found that my gaming connections have been 100x better even with the fact that its wireless and then again using a wireless adaptor.

Some other important info for vividwireless connections. P2P is VERY restricted! Read up on the vivid forum or whirlpool for info on what I mean.

All in all, I find vividwireless to be the best ISP i have had in my suburb, very good support team and from all accounts, their service should improve due to their systems being rolled out more and constant upgrades.

I recommend doing the month-by-month subscription (which is what i am on) so that you are not locked into a contract incase all turns to crap.
Old 15-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Sir AntiLag

RamWRC at standard level

Bump.

I've had vivid wireless since I moved into my new place about 4 months ago. When I first plugged the home gateway in, I had 3 bars (full) and speeds were great, as I was told they would be. About a month in, I wake up one morning and I only have 1 bar. I thought it would go back to normal later on, but nothing. It stayed on 1 bar for about 3 weeks. I moved it all around my room, next to the window, and eventually tried EVERY room in the bloody house. Nope, 1 bar. It was basically dial-up speed.

Just to note, according to the vivid website, I'm in a full coverage area, and I hadn't gone over my allowed usage. I also had not put anything into the house that would disrupt signals.

So a few weeks go by, and all of a sudden, it's back to 3 bars. Ever since then, it's been between 2 and 3 bars (mainly 2), which I can live with. But now it's gone back to 1 bar, and has been for the past few days. Vivid have been no help in the matter, and I'm sick of these ridiculous speeds. So has anyone else experienced similar problems and been able to resolve it? Or am I basically screwed lol. I like vivid because it's a decent price and no need for a contract... otherwise I would of changed long ago. Any input would be great

Thanks, Sam

Last edited by RamWRC; 15-04-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Tags
vivid, wireless