Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Pro!!!
Old 20-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Sign me up!
///M3

Jimmy S at standard level

Excellent...

'04 E46 S/C M3 Coupe
Old 22-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

Slowly slowly... ever closer! Each day of another parcel arriving, spells a little poverty, but a little bit of excitement. Not too long hopefully. (Still awaiting the custom pistons - longest hold up).

Many thanks to Rossco, and the guys at RSP.

AIM MXL is on way, as is Kelford cams, springs and hardware, and the rotating bits for the block. Once thats here, it will be bribe workshop to work harder, and hopefully not long after that, receive a motor, wrapped in plastic, (its fantastic), back on a pallet, re-dress it, and install.

Excitement is building now. Car will stay on anthrocite wheels for road duties, and Sti 17's for track. Looking forward to seeing motor in, and Prodrive front bar on, by Sep. The prettier stuff, (new lip, new side skirts, fix a couple of dings in boot, powdercoat wheels white, half cage, etc etc, will happen early next year. (Dont want to dig myself into debt... lol). "Patience is a virtue"

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-06-2011, 08:46 AM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Nice work!

Those brakets will be finished soon mate. Im going to bali for a couple of weeks so ill pm ya then. That cool?
Old 23-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Those brakets will be finished soon mate. Im going to bali for a couple of weeks so ill pm ya then. That cool?
No wuckas Russ! And thanks again.

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 15-10-2011, 07:17 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Ok... here we go. Epic update is... well epic.

(To those who don't overly care... there's still a few days to go. Stop reading.)

To those who want to share some lol's / mini heartaches / hear about issues you may have when replacing/upgrading/'building' a 207... keep reading. (Or grab a Corona... as I have... and keep reading. As "dad is about to tell a story kids!").

Ok, going back from previous posts... At that time I was still awaiting parts. Fast forward a few weeks from last update, everything's here and the list looks something like this:

* EJ207 semi closed deck block - stroked to 2.2L.
* Custom billet (83mm) crankshaft with straight through oiling.
* Custom JE pistons, (92.5mm), with offset wrist pins, (tool steel), custom dish, horizontal gas ports, dual wrist pin oiling, ceramic coated crowns, and contact reduction machining.
* Custom machined H beam rods.
* 10mm shimmed OEM STi oil pump.
* Kelford 264 "race/rally" cams. (10.7mm/10.2mm lift - 225d/222d duration).
* Kelford's matching STi springs and retainers.
* Custom adjustable cam gears.
* ARP headstuds and case bolts.
* ACL bearings throughout.
* SuperTech nitrided valves, (1mm O/S on I & E).
* SuperTech bronze valve guides.
* Killer B windage tray.
* Everything else has also been replaced. Idlers, tensioner, water pump/thermostat, blah blah blah. Everything is new, except the case it all sits in.

Billet love:

JE love:

Rod and bearing love:

With the engine on the stand, the strip down process was going really well... until I reamed a cam gear bolt. (Think a recessed hex bolt head... rounded. ). It sat like this for a little while, until a huge nut was welded over the bolt head, and subsequent removal. Once both heads were off the car, excitement started building, as the block strip down commenced. (Rossco lending his knowledge, me eagerly absorbing and turning tools).

Bolt after bolt ripped out, and once that first wrist pin was ripped from the block, excitement grew. 2 of the 4 wrist pins put up a struggle, however, with some force, and blue language, we got there. Pistons popped out, we got our first real look at why she went 'dokk'. Old slugs:

All the big ends had some 'alarming' lateral movement, however number 3 had both lateral movement and up and down slop. Looser than the Olsen twins on prom night. There it was.

As we dug further and further, and finally got to the 'end', where we split the block, and the crankshaft was exposed, here is what was found:

Fooked crank:

Not trick photography. All the bearings journals were clean and shiny... except the mined out one. To further amplify... here is a bearing shell comparo:

"Healthy" (ish):

Very unhealthy:

Poisoned sump:

(Slightly fu-barred). So there it was. "Dak dak dokk"... sorted. To put it in perspective, normally you can lift those bearings shells out. Big end number 3, needed a screw driver and a hammer to remove it from the crank. It was literally 'welded' in place! And again big e-props / rep'n / internet hugs to Rossco, I now feel happy stripping down an EJ donk.

So bundle 10 odd large boxes together, take things to the engine builder, and off we go. Lengthy discussions with said engine builder, on all facets of the build / tuner / fuel / oil requirements / you name it. 4 weeks... and I'll have a 450hp built motor on a pallet. Built, balanced, painted, assembled. Bazinga.
Almost...
Day 5 ish. Heads go under the chemical bath... revealing this:

Sigh. Both left and right heads, large cracks around spark plugs. Unusable. Block machining, balancing, assembly still going ahead, the hunt was on for new heads. Fully reco'd, you can purchase GD heads for just shy of a grand each... from several places. Problem for me being, I only wanted the bare heads. Enter a chance sale from Mr Retsej, and purchase subject to a strip down and chemical bath, and I had a win. Matt's heads were clean and good to use. "Thats it" I thought. No more issues, no more headaches. Everything is at the engine builders, every single part required to build a motor. Right down to the last gasket... seal... etc.
Almost.
I had requested the engine builder assemble the block, paint the case, then machine the heads, paint them, assemble them as well, and I'll come down and take a heap of photos before it all goes together.

This was scheduled for after hours on a monday night. That sunday night, the premises was broken into. 1 customers car stolen, 6 damaged, numerous engines and parts stolen..... Including my gasket/seal kit that was sitting in a large tub in the clean room. Easily replacable, (more held at Amcap), however it was yet another issue that reared its head. But you gotta laugh.

Current state of play. More photos early next week of block and heads. Then put it all together. Spend couple days of pre-timing and whatnot. Put the rest of the front end and underside on. And I'll pick it up.

From there, drop motor back in, straight to ASG, skids.

Not quite. Low boost, thousand k's. Wind in more boosts. 4wheel skids @ 2bar out of ASG...

To help pass the time, had these puppies prettied up:

Getting shod with some Yoko AD08's (225/40/18). Still to go, Prodrive front bar, AIM dash, rollcage, weight removal, the list goes on. But turn key start is literally 'right around the corner' now. <3

Thanks for listening.

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by [REXPLOIT]; 15-10-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 15-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

To clarify,

-When you say 'custom' does this mean they don't have them sitting on the shelf or nobody has ever done this before?

- Who's building your engine?

- What causes the cracks around the plugs?
Old 15-10-2011, 09:23 PM
STI Master

Terry.Wrist at standard level

CSB

Exciting times Brent!
Old 15-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Crank has build specific crank pin offset - Crank is 'off the shelf' but still not a factory item.

Custom rods - as in were produced -specifically- for this particular build. I.e custom rod length big-end to little end, centre to centre, due to cranks 83 mm 'stroke'.
Custom wrist pin to piston crown height, custom dish & pin offset for the JE slugs....To tie it all together.

Neil Herbert

Cracks are a weird one, sometimes even heads off stock un-tuned motors show cracking - plenty of theories on this one!

Looking forward to hearing this puppy bark!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 15-10-2011, 10:10 PM

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Awesome post brent! Super excited for ya!!!

Tags
project, rexploit