Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Subaru Tech Division

fobz knows their stuff

There are 2 clashing regs/rules in play here which makes things confusing

1 - WA driving regs say you cant have them on unless its foggy etc as other posts say
2 - Federal ADR's say they have to be wired in the way they are.

This causes a clash in that if point 2 is not adhered to by the manufacturer then
your car is illegal and you get a sticker. If point 1 is not adhered to then you get
a traffic offence. So you shouldn't change the way they're wired, but you cant use
them the way they're wired... Just another way the federal and state govts work
together !

Just another example of how the federal govt controls the vehicle designs but the
state controls what you can do on the road with that vehicle.

Interesting little fact:
The federal govt wanted all states to legislate to make all bikes ride with their lights
on. The states did no tagree, and the feds cannot force them to change the road rules.
Solution: Feds changed ADR's to force manufactures to only sell bikes that have
electrical systems wired to have lights on at all times. So technically if you ride
a new bike and don't have the headlight on during the day, its is a yellow sticker NOT
a traffic offence.

My flame suit is on. Give it your best biatch.

[COLOR="Red"]My STI's carbon emissions are offset by killing puppies.[/COLOR]
Old 08-02-2010, 08:44 AM
STI Master

Giddyup at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorotsuki69 View Post

Giddyup, still waiting on your official verdict on whether LED DRLs are legal or not
I would have to look into that one, not sure personally. I'm back at work on tuesday so will check then....... if it's even covered.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Papa Het at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoz View Post
On the subject of DRL's, well they have to be legal. Simply coz they have been included on cars from factory for an awful long time (Volvos since the 70's) and all cars have to comply with ADR's; so by deduction, they are legal.... or put another way, they are not illegal.
I think you answered your own question. They are 'Daylight running lights' or 'position markers' and not fog lights. Different set of wording to exploit loopholes.

As for all this "I didnt know, nobody told me, its not my fault"....what absolute crap!
I dont particularly agree with the severity of the punishment handed out but when you get a drivers license you are expected to know how to use your lights correctly!! Its all common sense AND is written out in very clear wording on how to use them properly.
Sorry; but if you get caught then you have no-one to blame but yourself, take some responsibility rather than trying to blame everyone else.

Also for some people foglights ARE blinding. Not so much in the day but at night they do increase the amount of white light being thrown forward.

Anyway white foglights are complete shite in low visibility situations and just reflect off the smoke / fog / rain. Yellow lights are the only effective fog lights and should be used on their own or with side-lights only.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru
Default Some peoples "view" of fog lights.

This was posted originally on "another" forum by me:

Hi all,

Firstly, in WA my partner has been pulled over , RBT'd and let go with a warning for "fog lights".

However, one of the closest moments to death I was ever involved in included fog lights (we believe), early morning Nullabour driving and a three dog road train.

The story:

My partner and I lived a GI (geographically impossible) relationship her in Melbourne me in Perth. Finally, she decided to go to Perth , after a year living on a phone, and we decided to drive her late model Toyota Celica from Vic to WA. We took 4 days. Melb to Port Augusta, oysters at Ceduna stop at Nullarbor Roadhouse. Roadhouse to Kal, and final day to Perth. All in all 4 days of blast driving

The Nullarbor Roadhouse being nigh on 1600 Km (?) in a day was the biggest day. However, there was another catch. My girl and I met in Byron - sorta hippies. Anyway, I wanted to get my girl to the border of WA/SA for dawn as it was a full moon sinking and the sun rising at opposite horizons. Very special to see (oh - I have a geo Dad, I've seen lots of desert 'special' moments). So, now the near death bit.

We have to leave the Nullarbor roadhouse at 2 AM odd to make sure I have enough time to get to the border. Driving has always been spirited lets say and with a radar on the Nullarbor at that time of night - well . . .

Anyway, we get to that stage where you are able to see , what 20 km + into the distance, every road 30 km straight etc, and I see a single spot from a semi way way away. I know he's there wondering how long til I get to him. We finally get onto the same straight road facing each other and he flashes his high beams off, then on , as if I had my high beams on but I have dropped earlier. I flash , high on, off, ON , OFF to show mine are down. We must still be many Kms away from each other. He again flashes high beams twice. I wonder why?

I had forgotten that I had been using the fog to light the road edge. On the Celica they spread wide and show the road shoulder well. But, when flashed didn't conclude it was the issue. But . . .

When the rig gets to say 400m away - on come EVERY BLOODY HIGH BEAM LIGHT ON THE WHOLE TRUCK.

Anyway, as the rig comes closer AGAIN, HE SWERVES INTO MY LANE.

I was easily doing 110 Km + , the rig I do not know. But we wound up two tires in the gravel shoulder as I avoided three trailers swerving towards our car.

It scared the living shit out of me.

Anyway, after calming my partner down, we continued to the WA border.

I can assure you though - if it wasn't for wanting that special moment with my girl. I would have turned around and followed that homicidal arsehole and well . . . made him contemplate that decision

Regardless, be careful where you use your fogs lights I have no issue with them, however, the subjective use of "clear" v "unclear"?

Rain, Fog, homicidal moments in the Nullabor?

Have a good one.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Het View Post
As for all this "I didnt know, nobody told me, its not my fault"....what absolute crap!
I dont particularly agree with the severity of the punishment handed out but when you get a drivers license you are expected to know how to use your lights correctly!! Its all common sense AND is written out in very clear wording on how to use them properly.
Sorry; but if you get caught then you have no-one to blame but yourself, take some responsibility rather than trying to blame everyone else.
That's all well and good for someone who only had their P's a couple of years ago and read the book recently... but not for my grandma who's been a reputable driver for 50yrs and decides to purchase a new car with foglamps! As already pointed out in a counter-argument, cars and design rules change over the years- without any campaigns by govt re: the matter or notes left regarding operation in manufacturers manual (and trust me, lot's of manufacturers do highlight these aspects) I still believe this is misleading GIVEN the current punishment it entails.

Quote:
Also for some people foglights ARE blinding. Not so much in the day but at night they do increase the amount of white light being thrown forward.
So on the one hand, we're supposed to be accountable for knowing when to switch certain lamps on/off, but not accountable for correct adjustment so that lamps are not pointing at oncoming traffic?? The same argument could be said about main headlights if not properly adjusted... does that mean that if they start dazzling oncoming traffic from poor adjustment that we make it law to switch them off? Of course not. Perhaps we should target road trains next, or maybe just start using a little sense?? Foglamps, correctly adjusted do not harm anyone and therefore should not be enforced with the same penalties as speeding- if at all!!

To enforce a law and hold others accountable for it, they have to first have some knowledge of the law. Otherwise it naturally leads to the confusion we have reflected here in discussions like this...
Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 AM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooboy View Post
To enforce a law and hold others accountable for it, they have to first have some knowledge of the law.
No, ignorance of the law does not exempt you from it.
I got my license 25 years ago, and the laws have changed quite a bit since then (and I haven't always been on the right side of it). I also read the current road rules every 5-10 years, just to stay current. Also helps when you're teaching your kids on L plates.

Re-read the book - it only takes 10 minutes!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Probe at standard level
Cool

Guys it's a $100 fine. Main reason is as u go over a hill the fog lights blind the driver coming the other way. Most of my colleagues don't bother with it but u'll get the occasional Cop who gets off handing out 'fog light' tickets. Easiest way to avoid it is to keep them off, they don't make that much difference at night, but yes they look good!
Hope this answers some questions. And yes I am a cop and yes I drive with my fog lights on at 4am coming home.....
Old 08-02-2010, 11:41 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

blurex at standard level

Could because fog lights cant be dimmed... thats why they are only applicable in "foggy" situations..
Old 08-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probe View Post
Guys it's a $100 fine. Main reason is as u go over a hill the fog lights blind the driver coming the other way. Most of my colleagues don't bother with it but u'll get the occasional Cop who gets off handing out 'fog light' tickets. Easiest way to avoid it is to keep them off, they don't make that much difference at night, but yes they look good!
Hope this answers some questions. And yes I am a cop and yes I drive with my fog lights on at 4am coming home.....
Kudos on the honesty.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Papa Het at standard level

Quote:
That's all well and good for someone who only had their P's a couple of years ago and read the book recently... but not for my grandma who's been a reputable driver for 50yrs and decides to purchase a new car with foglamps! As already pointed out in a counter-argument, cars and design rules change over the years- without any campaigns by govt re: the matter or notes left regarding operation in manufacturers manual (and trust me, lot's of manufacturers do highlight these aspects) I still believe this is misleading GIVEN the current punishment it entails.
Then I would say if the car has a new feature she has never seen or used before she should seek to educate herself on how to use it...I.E. Look in the owners manual and read the comment about varying laws state to state and then go on to find some info about those laws. All part of being a responsible driver.

Quote:
So on the one hand, we're supposed to be accountable for knowing when to switch certain lamps on/off, but not accountable for correct adjustment so that lamps are not pointing at oncoming traffic?? The same argument could be said about main headlights if not properly adjusted... does that mean that if they start dazzling oncoming traffic from poor adjustment that we make it law to switch them off? Of course not. Perhaps we should target road trains next, or maybe just start using a little sense?? Foglamps, correctly adjusted do not harm anyone and therefore should not be enforced with the same penalties as speeding- if at all!!

To enforce a law and hold others accountable for it, they have to first have some knowledge of the law. Otherwise it naturally leads to the confusion we have reflected here in discussions like this...
Being accountable for making sure our lights are correctly adjusted (in my opinion) falls under the same responsibilities of making sure our tyres are in good condition, our brakes work and our car is serviced properly and that we drive in a safe and considerate manner.

To me this highlights that it is about time we had annual inspections of cars to make sure things like this are sorted. There are to many old heaps getting about with knackered suspension, bald tyres and headlights that point in different directions and an owner that doesnt give a shit.

Personally I find even correctly aimed foglights to be distracting and dazzling and really there is no need to use them unless visibility is seriously reduced. I agree though that the punishment does not fit the crime...it would be better just to pull people over for a bit of an ear bending and then make a record of the chat. If they get caught at it again then maybe $50 to make sure the message sinks in.

Tags
drive, fog, illegal, lamps, lights