Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-07-2012, 01:34 PM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

Graph looks a bit woobly to tell you the truth, should've got an STI with Red Mudflaps.. that's good for another 100HP at least.... tehe.

I had MMS tune my last WRX with a butler TBE.. had great results, will be taking mine there once it's ready (or my wallet is ready).
Old 19-07-2012, 04:08 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

T R3X at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwrx View Post
Hi guys,

Chatted with the guys at MMS (Dean) , layed out the points for him, he addressed them all, which I was happy with.

Should of called them up before posting this though, but hey that's what you get when you are on the forums at midnight and get a little paranoid.

Bottom end, the guys at MMS know what they are doing and are very professional. Ecutek by the way does not prevent Subaru from reading the ecu and or running diagnostics.

Anyways it drives a hell of a lot better sounds the meanest and puts a smile on my face.

If I would do it all again I would do it at MMS again and I'll be going there for future things (I keep telling myself this is the first and only mod ).

Guys there are friendly and despite me being an ass they have been professional. Hats off guys.

Anyways thanks for the help guys, and remember ring your tuner before posting. Newbie mistake I guess.

Until next time.
So what did they say or explain to you? Because basically i was wondering the exact same things as you. Like i couldn't understand how factory stock subaru claim to be 195kw, then after my tbe and tune it read 170kw... It's definitely quicker than before by heaps and much smoother. So i just don't get it... I know there's different ways to read KW (wheels, engine, hubs etc) but i don't understand how to convert them...
Old 19-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by T R3X View Post
So what did they say or explain to you? Because basically i was wondering the exact same things as you. Like i couldn't understand how factory stock subaru claim to be 195kw, then after my tbe and tune it read 170kw... It's definitely quicker than before by heaps and much smoother. So i just don't get it... I know there's different ways to read KW (wheels, engine, hubs etc) but i don't understand how to convert them...
All car manufactures quote power at the engine. This is worthless or just a guide to what a car can do.

Power (well torque actually) at the wheels is what makes you go fast. On an AWD car it's probably about 80% of the engine power. On a RWD car it's probably about 90% of the engine power.

A hub dyno removes the wheels as they add in extra inconsistencies, but by removing the wheels, they give a slighlty higher figure than a roller dyno.

Always use a dyno as a tool. Set a baseline. Don't get your knickers in a knot because someone in America with the same mods made 3hp more than you. They all vary, look only at your baseline. Once you have that compare any future mods and dyno runs to that baseline.

If you want a 1000hp dyno plot, find someone with a dyno dynamics dyno, slip the operator $50 and make sure he has a hot cup of coffee to drink when you do your run.
jEstEr?, JDM_STYLE, teejay and 1 others like this.
Master D (20-07-2012), mitchwnz (19-07-2012), T R3X (19-07-2012), teejay (19-07-2012)
Old 19-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid View Post
So the OP made 170kw after TBE and tune, which is around 230hp....but Poktrokt made around 260hp....

Are the dynos that both mms and asg use, different enough to account for 30hp?
Going on the last dyno day its appx 30kws differ between dynos (hub/roller), with ASG's hub dyno being the higher one of the 2.

This is based on some cars that were dynoed on both dynos in the same gear etc etc.

Yes there are differ factors that come into account but gives a good indication on the differ power read outs of both dynos.
Kato likes this.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 20-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Engine Dyno, as used by most OEM -

hub dyno, as used by ASG, EV0R etc

Roller dyno, as used by MMS, Racetorque etc

An Engine dyno is the most repeatable, consistent, accurate dyno, but they are fairly expensive to operate and hence only used by car manufacturers / very high end workshops. An engine dyno reads directly from the back of the crank so is the most "accurate" for the "true" horsepower value. This is where subaru come up with a magical number (eg 195kw)

When you add to that the force required to spin the clutch, gearbox, tailshaft, 4 driveshafts, 4 hubs and brakes all attached to woobly stock rubber mounts on a hub dyno, you can see where some of the loss comes from. I've yet to see someone come up with an accurate, real world magical number on how much loss is involved, but there are certain rules of thumb (see kato and jdmstyles's posts) which will give you a rough idea. The values are measured at the wheel hub of the car, and thats why you get your lower figure (say 180kw)

The roller dyno is the least accurate of the 3 as it adds the rolling mass of the wheels. The benefit of a roller though is being able to get cars on much quicker (not needing to remove the wheels and align the hub packs). Some people think this is the most "accurate" final figure as its the power measured at the tyre treads and that's what the driver experiences in the real world, but its normally found via torque generated and then calculated back to give a "flywheel figure". Where a roller loses out is the 4 spinning wheels have a flywheel effect and can greatly smooth out tune inconstancies which would show up on a hub or engine dyno

questions?
Kato, Soksta and rjb like this.
Soksta (20-07-2012)
Old 20-07-2012, 11:26 AM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff

Bum dyno?
Old 20-07-2012, 03:32 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

T R3X at standard level

questions, yes... well i see what you mean by 195kw at engine. still not sure how it "loses" so much AFTER the tbe and tune... 170awkw on roller dyno.. i understand they are far different, but i didn't think it was by that much...
Old 20-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Just stop. Please.
REXXXED and MY00GC8 like this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to teejay For This Useful Post:
REXXXED (20-07-2012)
Old 20-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Because Physics.

/thread
Old 20-07-2012, 05:28 PM
STI Master

Riggs at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by T R3X View Post
questions, yes... well i see what you mean by 195kw at engine. still not sure how it "loses" so much AFTER the tbe and tune... 170awkw on roller dyno.. i understand they are far different, but i didn't think it was by that much...
It didn't loose anything, 195fwkw is less power than 170awkw. Its not that hard really.

Tags
2012, mods, wrx