Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

Sorry to see mate.. hope it all works out for you. Glad you weren't injured in the accident.
Old 18-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI 117 View Post
hey mate i was wondering what the deal was with getting any parts back. unfortunately the rims were in my policy so i assume i won't be getting them back? also they took the car straight to the just car insurance assessment place in osborne park so i have no access to the car to take or swap anything off of
if it was part of the policy then they cant be removed. Alot of ppl put mods on the car without informing insurance so they can be removed before the car goes to the holding yard as once its their and gets written off u cant get access..
Old 18-07-2010, 11:35 AM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainwrex View Post
If i was you i would alteast put stock parts to parts that arent on your policy i,e rims as if the car is written off u wont get access to them....

I can see easily 10K plus worth of damage here.. If the car is insured for 20K as u say i think they will write it off..
If they use second hand parts they could buy a naked half cut for 1000 bucks, and 2k of labour to swap it over/paint. New radiator is 300 bucks?

How many people here have actually had to deal with a decent prang?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Master D knows their stuff

*puts hand up* 3 times now. 2x in personal car - 1x work car
Old 18-07-2010, 11:39 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

MY05GT at standard level

Quote:
if it was part of the policy then they cant be removed. Alot of ppl put mods on the car without informing insurance so they can be removed before the car goes to the holding yard as once its their and gets written off u cant get access..
damn i had a feeling that was the case, cheers for the info
Old 18-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
If they use second hand parts they could buy a naked half cut for 1000 bucks, and 2k of labour to swap it over/paint. New radiator is 300 bucks?

How many people here have actually had to deal with a decent prang?

looks like ur quoting tight arse lebbo cash/ dodgy prices.. insurance prices this would be inflated 3-4 times that...

Its not just a matter of swapping, the front end looks like there will need some welding and other works done... Painting would cost atleast 2k on its own...

P.S ive had a major front end shunt similar to what was seen in this accident a good 10 yrs ago in my RX and the cost to repair was around 16-20k off hand...
Old 18-07-2010, 11:41 AM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Whats the excess worth?

Might almost be worth not claiming it and fixing it if you want to keep the car.

Tino - I had to fix my car in the exact same way - literally wiped the front off it, but more damage than that - fucked cooler, both guards, headlights, rad, support, cam cover got cracked, nicked the rail but didnt bend it.

Went and fixed it myself - well not literally - but got it done privately because I didnt want the car writen off.

Got out of it for 3.5k with more damage, and no dodgey lebo stuff .....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Sign me up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
Whats the excess worth?

Might almost be worth not claiming it and fixing it if you want to keep the car.

Tino - I had to fix my car in the exact same way - literally wiped the front off it, but more damage than that - fucked cooler, both guards, headlights, rad, support, cam cover got cracked, nicked the rail but didnt bend it.

Went and fixed it myself - well not literally - but got it done privately because I didnt want the car writen off.

Got out of it for 3.5k with more damage, and no dodgey lebo stuff .....
Yes that might be doing it yourself and it all depends on avaliable parts and type of car. Insurance companies arent going to fk around searching and searching for parts, time is money to them also...

As i said my front end was at around 100kph and did more damage it seemed than this accident and the insurance quote to repair was around 16k...

but until its investigated u wont know.. I.e headlights look okay but a clip could be fked therefore need a new one theres 200x2 from a wrecker if u can find it, fog light covers, front lip, indicator lights, radiator support beam, radiator, lower radiator support, etc etc.. Its all the little things that will increase the bill significantly...

Will need a new bumper, if u can find one secondhand still probaly looking at 200. STI bonnent- probaly around 6-700 second hand.. Then ull need gaurds probaly 300 for pair second hand..

Then you will need to paint it all... bumper, bonnent, atleast 1k to paint gaurds maybe 500 then also need to blend it with the doors etc..

I can see already 3-4k just in what ive mentioned, sourcing the parts yourself, then you will need to factor in repairing the damage to the engine bay and labour... This can easily be a 10k excersise without factoring in inflated insurance quotes..

At the end of the day its only a subaru, you can always find another one. If its written off i wouldnt want to take it and repair it myself as your spending money on the car thats only valued at 20K. if it costs u 10k to fix you really only have a car that in real terms is worth 10k to you if you sold it for 20K...
Old 18-07-2010, 12:03 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

MY05GT at standard level

thanks again for all the advice. i don't think i'm mechanically minded enough to attempt any repairs myself, if it is indeed a write off i think i'll just sadly have to let it go. by the way my excess's came to $3000, it's quite high mainly because raising that bought my yearly premiums down,l i guess i was really counting on not crashing it lol
Old 18-07-2010, 12:30 PM

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Insurance companies arent going to fk around searching and searching for parts, time is money to them also...
Insurance companies have never done parts location, this is all undertaken by the panel beater, and factored into the quote for repairs. There aren't as many ex-panel beaters as assessors now-days, most are trained up by the insurance companies and approve quotes via digital images sent in by the panel shops.

Quote:
As i said my front end was at around 100kph and did more damage it seemed than this accident and the insurance quote to repair was around 16k...
Fuck the repair cost, you're v.lucky to have walked away from that one mate, but I'd assume the car was fairly new at the time and it was quoted with brand new parts?

Quote:
I.e headlights look okay but a clip could be fked therefore need a new one theres 200x2 from a wrecker if u can find it, fog light covers, front lip, indicator lights, radiator support beam, radiator, lower radiator support, etc etc.. Its all the little things that will increase the bill significantly...

Will need a new bumper, if u can find one secondhand still probaly looking at 200. STI bonnent- probaly around 6-700 second hand.. Then ull need gaurds probaly 300 for pair second hand..

Then you will need to paint it all... bumper, bonnent, atleast 1k to paint gaurds maybe 500 then also need to blend it with the doors etc..
Based on those prices it would most definitely be repaired, and if you're getting quotes from people of $1k to paint guards, its time to jump ship.

Quote:
This can easily be a 10k excersise without factoring in inflated insurance quotes..
Then it will get repaired, remember the insured value, as mentioned by the owner is $20k.

Tags
repairable