Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 12:43 AM
Sir AntiLag

rubberbudgie at standard level
Send a message via MSN to rubberbudgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_STYLE View Post
And that advice came from an apprentice mechanic, do they actually teach kids these days things other than how to change oil and fluids instead of actual stuff that helps diagnose problems?

Usually when MMS builds an engine they'll do you a really good price for putting it back in for you and make sure everything is running fine, was there any particular reason apart from cash that you decided to put it in yourself Darren?
Yeah time was the major factor. As you know they are snowed under with both rallying and mechanical work for clients, as an example I dropped the engine off in November and it wasn't until mid-February when I got it back. Granted that a fair chunk of that time was taken up waiting for bearings but it would have been another month again easily before I got it back.

Another factor was experience. I really enjoy working on my car (well cars in general really) so I figured what better chance to learn a whole heap about not only my car but Subarus in general. Apart from a few simple stuff-ups (like getting the radiator caps switched around) I'm actually quite happy with getting it in and working (all be it with an oil leak).

As for the oil leak, I've degreased the whole engine top and bottom and the only place it could be coming from would be the rear mains which does suck somewhat but these things happen I guess.
Old 26-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Surely mms would have fitted a new rear main seal during the re-build???

Is it leaking from around the bottom of block where the gearbox meets it?

Have you checked the turbo oil return line on the driver's side head?

Who fitted the sump? you or MMS?
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 26-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbudgie View Post
Yeah time was the major factor. As you know they are snowed under with both rallying and mechanical work for clients, as an example I dropped the engine off in November and it wasn't until mid-February when I got it back. Granted that a fair chunk of that time was taken up waiting for bearings but it would have been another month again easily before I got it back.

Another factor was experience. I really enjoy working on my car (well cars in general really) so I figured what better chance to learn a whole heap about not only my car but Subarus in general. Apart from a few simple stuff-ups (like getting the radiator caps switched around) I'm actually quite happy with getting it in and working (all be it with an oil leak).

As for the oil leak, I've degreased the whole engine top and bottom and the only place it could be coming from would be the rear mains which does suck somewhat but these things happen I guess.
Yeah no worries I thought as much as I know you've enjoyed doing stuff yourself previously was just curious was all.

Hope it gets sorted out soon as it will be good to see it out and about again.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 26-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Surely mms would have fitted a new rear main seal during the re-build???

Is it leaking from around the bottom of block where the gearbox meets it?

Have you checked the turbo oil return line on the driver's side head?

Who fitted the sump? you or MMS?
Yeah the rear main seal was fitted during the rebuild, Steve from mms said that it's very unlikely for a rear main seal to leak especially a new one but not impossible. He said it could also be one of the screws at the back of the crank which feeds oil but again he said very unlikely.

It does look to be leaking around the bottom of the block where the gearbox meets it but it is very hard to tell as it sprays it back everywhere after driving and when I degreased it all by the time the degreaser has a chance to dry the oil is already well and truly flowing again. I've checked out all the oil return lines (that was my first guess actually) but they are all oil free.

And mms fitted the sump.

Quote:
Yeah no worries I thought as much as I know you've enjoyed doing stuff yourself previously was just curious was all.

Hope it gets sorted out soon as it will be good to see it out and about again.
Yeah I can't wait to be out and about in it again
Old 26-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

Quote:
And that advice came from an apprentice mechanic, do they actually teach kids these days things other than how to change oil and fluids instead of actual stuff that helps diagnose problems?
Thats a bit harsh mate

Anyway driving does help, as does giving it high revs. i have seen many cam/crank seal leaks that only happen when the engine revs are high. So taking it for a drive covers all bases instead of sitting there with the engine free revving on it's limiter for 10 mins

Old 27-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Sign me up!
IMPREZA STi S204

JDM_STYLE at standard level

Sent Ajay a pm already telling him I was just taking the piss, really needs to be a sarcasm icon for use.

221.7KW-ATW 498.5NM MMS ROLLER DYNO & BUILT BY STi NINJAS, BUILD #318/600

EBISU SUBARU, SHIBUYA-KU TOKYO
Old 27-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRX View Post
Thats a bit harsh mate

Anyway driving does help, as does giving it high revs. i have seen many cam/crank seal leaks that only happen when the engine revs are high. So taking it for a drive covers all bases instead of sitting there with the engine free revving on it's limiter for 10 mins

It leaks oil just sitting there so no nigh revs needed.

I managed to get the engine lifted up enough to be able to remove the flywheel cover and the part of the flywheel I can see from underneath is covered in oil. So anyway, I've degreased the hell out of the underneath of the engine etc so hopefully i can see once and for all exactly where the leak is.
Old 27-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

COuld be a faulty rear main, or it could be slightly cocked to one side. There is also an oil separator plate on the back of the engine next to the rear main. You should get it sorted as quick as, or your clutch plate will end up soaked in oil and ruined.
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 27-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Sounds like a rear main mate....Bugger! so it's either box or engine out again...

The oil air separator won't leak oil at idle/ off boost as it's under vacuum from the PCV under these conditions.

Pm me if you want another pair of hands to help mate, I'm free any week day after 5.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 27-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Sounds like a rear main mate....Bugger! so it's either box or engine out again...

The oil air separator won't leak oil at idle/ off boost as it's under vacuum from the PCV under these conditions.

Pm me if you want another pair of hands to help mate, I'm free any week day after 5.
Cheers for that, might just take you up on that offer.

So once the engine/box is out, what's involved in fixing the rear main seal?

Tags
leaks, locating, oil, pros, tips