Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 07:59 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

WRX_4eva92 at standard level
Default New Clutch

As of a car cruise last night, i have now blown my clutch.

It first happened at around 9pm, i didnt hoon around a corner, i just took off, then the clutch pedal stuck in half way, and it was kind of hard to change gears. i pulled out of the cruise and got it unstuck, from then on, changing from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, everytime it changes, the clutch rattles and shakes the car (kind of like bunnyhopping it) it got worse, then got better.

I also noticed that from 3rd through to 6th, it ran like it does every otherday, however, changing down from 6th all the way to 1st, the clutch/gears rattle a little bit. Finally, at 1:30am, after keeping up with the cruise and nursing it as much as possible, i took off from a meet point and it wouldnt let me change up or down gears, it was just stuck in neutral.

I then turned the car off, and could put it into 1st, then started the car with the clutch out originally, then pushed it in as the car lurched foward when i turned the key over. This made the car drive again with the bunnyhops.

I got about 3km from there, on my way home, and at the traffic lights, it blew completly, the car wont even start when it is in neutral. I got it towed to my house etc etc.

So what im getting at, is i'm going to get a heavy duty clutch put in, but im asking for advice on what brand/tweaks or whatever, and prices/places to get it installed from. Im hoping to get it back on the road before satuday.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thankyou
Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

A lot of people here swear by the clutch work done by STechnic 'Dougie', he would be your best bet.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

We will be doing a stage 3 Exedy clutch tomorrow and will post up some details of the installation and condition of the previous clutch tomorrow.

Customer came with similar but worst symptoms as yours and the car is now virtually undriveable.

Regards,
Mao

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_4eva92 View Post
As of a car cruise last night, i have now blown my clutch.

It first happened at around 9pm, i didnt hoon around a corner, i just took off, then the clutch pedal stuck in half way, and it was kind of hard to change gears. i pulled out of the cruise and got it unstuck, from then on, changing from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, everytime it changes, the clutch rattles and shakes the car (kind of like bunnyhopping it) it got worse, then got better.

I also noticed that from 3rd through to 6th, it ran like it does every otherday, however, changing down from 6th all the way to 1st, the clutch/gears rattle a little bit. Finally, at 1:30am, after keeping up with the cruise and nursing it as much as possible, i took off from a meet point and it wouldnt let me change up or down gears, it was just stuck in neutral.

I then turned the car off, and could put it into 1st, then started the car with the clutch out originally, then pushed it in as the car lurched foward when i turned the key over. This made the car drive again with the bunnyhops.

I got about 3km from there, on my way home, and at the traffic lights, it blew completly, the car wont even start when it is in neutral. I got it towed to my house etc etc.

So what im getting at, is i'm going to get a heavy duty clutch put in, but im asking for advice on what brand/tweaks or whatever, and prices/places to get it installed from. Im hoping to get it back on the road before satuday.

Help would be greatly appreciated, thankyou
Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

virtually undrivable? once the clutch gets put in it should be good to go right? im not sure the damage (if any) to the flywheel, but i know the clutch has definently gone in it, i tried babying it as much as i could throughout the night and it finally gave in.

And would anyone have a general estimate of a heavy duty clutch would be? can be very general.. just so i know what im dealing with here
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

This car had the same symptops as yours but got worse. Few days later, it became undriveable.

It is at the workshop now and we will be removing the gearbox tomorrow. You might want to see if it has the same symptoms as yours before we rip the box off.

Regards,
Mao

Quote:
virtually undrivable? once the clutch gets put in it should be good to go right? im not sure the damage (if any) to the flywheel, but i know the clutch has definently gone in it, i tried babying it as much as i could throughout the night and it finally gave in.

And would anyone have a general estimate of a heavy duty clutch would be? can be very general.. just so i know what im dealing with here
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Quote:

Pedal still sticking on the floor?

If so you have spilt the hydlaulic line between the clutch slave cylinder & the clutch master cylinder....It's fairly common.

Check that the clutch master cylinder resevoir is full off fluid, if it's empty...BINGO you need a new clutch hose.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

ok.. ill check that, but it came good after a couple minutes and then the only symptoms were, was the 1st to 3rd rattling the clutch/gearbox everytime i change up...

The thing is mao, it wont even start in neutral.. so i cant drive it anyways, so hopefully its just a 1 shot replace and should be good to go again
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Yes you may be right here, might be the hydraulics as well.

P_wrx4eva_92: Does the clutch slip or is it just the pedal not coming back up? The car here does not have this hydraulic issue but has the weird noises from the clutch. And check if the weird noise is from the clutch master cylinder?

Regards,
Mao
Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

You mean the car wouldnt start or that the car is stuck in neutral. If it is stuck in neutral, Rosco might be right here as the hydraulics could have failed.

Quote:
ok.. ill check that, but it came good after a couple minutes and then the only symptoms were, was the 1st to 3rd rattling the clutch/gearbox everytime i change up...

The thing is mao, it wont even start in neutral.. so i cant drive it anyways, so hopefully its just a 1 shot replace and should be good to go again
Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

the clutch was stuck in halfway for about 5 mins. that was all. then it was fine.

However, going from 1st to 2nd to 3rd, everytime i change up, its rattling the clutch etc.. and changing down gears is the same.. 3rd through to 6th its perfectly fine..

THEN... it finally dropped out, all gears werent accelerating, it was just revving.

so im pretty sure its the clutch blown

Tags
clutch