Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Will not ever fail you dude. That's a promise.

Once again, this forum never ceases to amaze. One problem you face, another solution pops back up.

Special thanks to Gavin (STI325V6) for being so nice as to bring the bracket to work so we could pick it up from him today! Any 0 interest loans? ahahah just kidding.

Below, upipe and new turbo support aligned to turbo in total unison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughStilin View Post
Actually now I think of it, I read your post where you had an autronic comp, which it put out less power and then went with a Verso and it came onto boost quicker and made more power.

Cheers for the info mate. I have not heard back from Mao as yet. Not sure if you want to take the bracket with you tomorrow and if he can't ger around tomorrow, I am sure it will be Friday.

Failing that, i will organise a courier to collect it from you.

Last edited by mao; 23-06-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 23-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

STI325V6 knows their stuff

^^Happy to assist, it's good having a supply of hard to get parts!!
Old 23-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Flat Four Father

mao at standard level

Yes will be glad to do that.

This thread will be very useful in time to come I would say, with all the power verifications and cooling info on hand.

Quote:
Front mount, Mmmmm ok if you say so Mao. Would not mind seeing the comparison difference between the two though, so if its cool with you, shall we do a run with the standard STI TMIC and then put the FMIC in and do another run?
Old 24-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level

Lets hope the top mount gets lots of nice cool air like it would on the road to make sure things are even.
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.
Old 24-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

I am sure the comparison will be as fair as it can be, given the conditions when on a dyno. In the real world the front mount will always get more air flow, due to the size, design and position of it.

To be honest I wanted to stay away from a FMIC, but if it yields more gains? I really should give it a go. I only wanted to do the comparison for my own knowledge and benefit, just to see how effective the TMIC is.

Simon.
Old 24-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Be interesting indeed. Will get more power with the FMIC and you wont notice much if any lag difference because the FMIC doesnt increase lag, it increases throttle response time though.
Old 24-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSGT View Post
Be interesting indeed. Will get more power with the FMIC and you wont notice much if any lag difference because the FMIC doesnt increase lag, it increases throttle response time though.
Hey Russ,

I have read and heard that the TMIC is great on the STI, I have also read but cant find any evidence that the Process West TMIC is better than the STI.

My mate has the process west TMIC, so what I might do, if its cool with Mao, of course. Is do 3 runs in the one day. My STI standard, get the PW TMIC of my mates car and the FMIC.

The ambient temp doesn’t change too much this time of year throughout the day, so maybe do back to back runs with the two top mounts in the AM, and then, if I can find one at the right price, install the FMIC during the day and do a run that arvo, when the ambient air temps have dropped back down again.

I don’t know anything about the tuning side of things, but taking a guess, more tuning will be required to get the most out of the FMIC. But so long as we get the maximum from the STI one in the first instance, the STI and PW TMIC will be a good comparison.

Has anyone else got any input / evidence on the difference between TMIC and FMIC, mainly in terms of power delivery and lag I guess? Did you feel a massive difference in the overall feel of the power and torque coming on?

Mao, what do you think, sound like a plan?

Simon.
Old 24-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

What does everyone think of this? I cant find feedback from this kit, but a few people on the feedback said the radiatiors were good quality, so maybe this kit might be ok. I have asked the seller if they have any more photos to send me.

SEE HERE

Simon.
Old 24-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Hmm, its cheap. Probably good value but you have all quality gear, I wouldnt skimp now.

I would look for a reputable brand tube and fin cooler, standard or v mount if they are around. Note the FMIC piping diameters and how they run, some are different.

With the headers, I coated and wrapped mine (Perrins I think) in late 2007 and have never touched them/not had a problem.

IMO it is essential to keep the headers as hot as possible on a turbo car, and to keep that heat inside and not radiating around the engine bay. It was easily noticable in my old wrx the differance in part throttle response when comparing stock cast manifold Vs std x-farce headers Vs coasted/wrapped X Farce.
Old 24-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
What does everyone think of this? I cant find feedback from this kit, but a few people on the feedback said the radiatiors were good quality, so maybe this kit might be ok. I have asked the seller if they have any more photos to send me.

SEE HERE
looks like a China copy of the process west setup, I suppose it can't be too bad. I'd be tempted to stick with the top mount if its a daily driver. A well setup fmic will always produce more peak horsepower than a tmic simply because it is a bigger core and can cool the charge. But what you gain in 10hp up top you lose in response down low. Its been proven many times before a stock STI cooler can support 300hp+

Ceramic coating the turbo and a decent heatsheild would negate any concerns of heatsoak

Tags
gdb, roughstilin, sti