Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-07-2016, 07:54 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Very good. Im not a pro, im a guy in a shed.
Old 18-07-2016, 10:50 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

LOL Well you can't say I haven't tried to steer you in the right direction and stop you from making the mistakes that guys in sheds make
Old 08-08-2016, 06:53 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

I bought a brand new Garrett GTX3076R to do my planned upgrade, but my retarded local turbo shop (TurboTech Perth) accidently ordered me a GTX3071R. Then they lied to me, and knowingly tried to pass it off as 3076, hoping i wouldnt notice they had F-ed up the order. Obviously as soon as i got it out of the box i could tell it was the wrong turbo. If the lying pricks had of just been honest i wouldnt have wasted my whole lunch break driving across town to pick it up.

It seems im cursed when i buy turbos. When i got the Dom 2.5, the shop i bough it from f-ed up my order and sent out the wrong parts about 2 or 3 times... This time i thought id order from a local bricks and motar store, hoping to avoid all the hassles i had last time. But i got the same dis-honest lying bullsh1t i got from PSR.

So ive had the GTX3071R to play with over the weekend, while the correct turbo comes.

I was always curious about the differences between the Blouch Dom and the Garrett compressor wheels. I had always assumed the DOM2.5 was effectively a gt3071r with a custom billet comp wheel and stock location housings. This is true, but the Blouch wheel has a slightly different profile/silhouette than the Garrett. The Blouch is infact a little smaller and you can comfortably fit the Garrett housing over the Blouch wheel, but you cannot put the Blouch housing over the Garrett wheel.

Blouch DOM 2.5 XTR VS Garrett GTX3071R

Garrett GTX3071R

Blouch DOM 2.5 XTR compressor wheel.

Garrett GTX3071R compressor wheel.
Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:53 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

And i spose your wondering why id go a GTX3076R over a DOM 2.5 XTR? They would both be fairly similar turbos, with the GTX being slightly bigger compressor wheel and 4in compressor cover. But essentially not a great deal difference.

Well this is one of the main reasons why. The internal wastegate in the Blouch just cant flow enough. Its a bottle neck and causes boost creep on an other wise amazing turbo. The Garrett is externally gated, which means i can go a decent size wastegate

This is the Blouch internal gate VS the Turbosmart HyperGate. As you can see there is a significant size difference here.

And the other reason is i just dont feel the DOM 2.5 is big enough. Before i bought the Blouch, i was really tossing up between the DOM 2.5 and the DOM 3. In the end i settled on the 2.5, but in hindsight, i think the 3 would have been a better turbo. (But probably suffer even worse boost creep?)
Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:06 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

In other news. Ive pulled the car down. (Obviously removing the Blouch turbo). I figure with RAC drying up, now would be as good a time as ever to get the car apart and start the next (and biggest) round of mods.

The intake manifold has been removed and reversed. The actual reversing of the mani was pretty straight forward. It does require an alt relocation. Which given the AC delete already is pretty easy. I have welded up a simple bracket to hold the alternator where the AC was. All i need now is a bigger belt to go the longer distance.

I had previously welded up a coolant overflow tank to replace the plastic one on the fan shroud. This makes space for the intercooler pipe work to come up the front of the engine.

The wiring harness may need a bit of tweaking here and there to make way for the flipped intake. But otherwise plug straight back in. The coolant header tank should go back more or less where it was. Fuel hose can be shortened and re-routed. Vacuum booster etc is a simply hose mod. Catchcan plumbing will need a bit of tweaking too. But everything looks more or less do-able.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Are those Radium Universal catch cans?
Old 08-08-2016, 08:21 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Are those Radium Universal catch cans?
Yeah. But thier older design. I like how they CNC machine them from a solid billet.

Last edited by Bram; 09-08-2016 at 02:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bram For This Useful Post:
nick73 (08-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

yeahnah at standard level

edit- found my answers here http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-dri...i-sled-14.html
disregard Bram unless you wish to elaborate

hey Bram, which Sheethot product will you use on the headers?
iyo is the tubular stuff worthwhile or is it better to form the flat sheet type?
also, your opinion on their turbo sheild, worth $190 odd.

apologies if you've been over this before.

Last edited by yeahnah; 09-08-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:46 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahnah View Post
edit- found my answers here http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-dri...i-sled-14.html
disregard Bram unless you wish to elaborate

hey Bram, which Sheethot product will you use on the headers?
iyo is the tubular stuff worthwhile or is it better to form the flat sheet type?
also, your opinion on their turbo sheild, worth $190 odd.

apologies if you've been over this before.
I havent seen the tubalar stuff yet. But it might be worth a look. I like the panel stuff. Its easy to work with. Simply cut and bend. (And fold over the edges) Then wire-tie.

I think a generic turboheatshield wouldnt be a perfect fit on suby, and you would still need to cut and bend anyways.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

yeahnah at standard level

cool, thanks

Tags
sled, yeti